• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game startup problem

Fatchaos

Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2009
www.furaffinity.net
So, I'll go with all the details. When I startup the game, I get that regular "preparing launching killing floor" message box, it disappears in approx 1 second, after that, I get the Killing Floor banner thingy in the middle of the screen, and immediately my screen flickers two times (in very short periods), and after that, nothing. Nothing, whatsoever. The banner stays there, if I put my cursor on it, it turns into the classic hourglass. The killingfloor.exe wont show in the toolbar below, and any window put on front of the banner is "glued" to it, and it keeps on haunting in the background. If I open taskmanager, I can find "KillingFloor.exe" there, running with about 57 000kt, not changing a bit. If I forcibly close it close it via the taskmanager, the banner disappears. Also, my friends told me that when the banner is there, I appear as if I am playing KF in the friends list, even though, aparently, I am not ^^

Here's the stuff I've already tried:
-Rebooting computer & steam
-Updated video drivers & directX
-Reinstalled the game
-Tried running on windowed mode or switched the drivers from drirectX to EVERY other possible candidate (via the killingfloor.ini file)
-Tried changing the startup resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768 via the killingfloor.ini file
-Deleted killingfloor.ini
-Defragged the game
-Verified integrity of the game files
-Closed all firewalls
-Checked killingfloor.log, it's empty.
-Checked & double checked if my computer should be able to run Killingfloor (it can run TF2, L4D, Unreal 2004, Bioshock ect.)
-Tried running it via the system folder, not trough steam
-Checked DxDiag, everything runs smoothly as it should, like every other game

If this helps, I also seem to get this thingy on the Killingfloor.ini file=
"
[Firstrun]
Firstrun=3339
"

Probably nothing that I should worry about.

But, I'm running out of options, patience & hope here.
Any clues?

*sigh*
Ok, I've spent the last 2 hours browsing & searching trough the RO support forums for the answer like you suggested, no dice...

I'm too tired to keep going at the moment, been using half the day to look for solutions from the internet in general.

If you can come up with ANYTHING I haven't tired yet, I'd be appreciated, or if you could find the answer form the RO forums, I'd appreciate that too...

Unfortunately, I am a human being, so I need to sleep, eat & do other things than just sit here in front of my computer all day.

Upvote 0
Your specs do meet the requirements, yes?

Do you have any other computers? If so, (and specs permit) download steam onto that PC and try it.

If you're in Vista, set steam to run as administrator, and manually go into the KF folder and set the KF.exe to run as administrator.

Speaking of that, have you tried launching directly from the folder? Double-clicking on the .exe file?

Could you post screenshots, too?

Upvote 0
Your specs do meet the requirements, yes?

Do you have any other computers? If so, (and specs permit) download steam onto that PC and try it.

If you're in Vista, set steam to run as administrator, and manually go into the KF folder and set the KF.exe to run as administrator.

Speaking of that, have you tried launching directly from the folder? Double-clicking on the .exe file?

Could you post screenshots, too?

Hello , i have this problem 2. But process kiling floor dont stuck , just disapiar , After 1 second and logo on screen 2.
Im on XP sp3 and my pc satisfy the requirements
PS i tryed a lot things 2 like autor of this toppic, also launch from folder )))

How it runs? first it use default.ini , and then killingfloor.ini ? Maybe this is the problem.

Upvote 0
Spec's please.
NVidia ?

Force AA and and the other eyeCandything + Triple Buffering off in the NVidia control panel.

Try and start the game.
If it works, set the Video options to default.
Exit game and set your Nvidia options to Application Controlled.
Start game.

Not sure if thats the right fix or not, my memory banks are near full.

Might help, might not...

Upvote 0
Spec's please.
NVidia ?

Force AA and and the other eyeCandything + Triple Buffering off in the NVidia control panel.

Try and start the game.
If it works, set the Video options to default.
Exit game and set your Nvidia options to Application Controlled.
Start game.

Not sure if thats the right fix or not, my memory banks are near full.

Might help, might not...

I have HD3650 radeon , tryed 2 disable or reduse 3d settings = no changes

Then i set 2 use application settings, like it was on begining = no changes

Upvote 0
I have NVidia GeForce 7600 GT.

And yes, I meet the system requrements. And yes, I've tried launching it via the Killingfloor.exe, even with steam off.

And no, I don't have Vista, I have windows XP Home Edition.

Tried messing with the Nvidia Control panel, so far that I turned pretty much anything off, didn't affect a thing, sorry, good idea, though.

And no, I don't have another computer to try it on.

I haven't got to update the Nvidia driver to the very latest atm, for some reason I cannot access their page to download it...

Here's some attachments... DxDiag & a screenshot of the situation

Attachments

• zomfg.jpg
    zomfg.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    39.2 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
This is probably a long shot from the problem, but...

Exactly how much time are you giving it to load before bringing up task manager? Because sometimes if you start other programs before one completely loads, it will crash, freeze, and do a bunch of other stuff.

Are you giving it atleast, oh, 2 minutes?

Upvote 0
hmm i don know what is actually starting up first giving info you said. Ill ask around in a bit.

Just to be sure do you have killingfloor.log in your system folder with some stuff in it, if so attach it here.

try to disable the steam community from inside steam as well.

Alright, I give it a shot, but as I stated before, the killingfloor.log appears to be empty every time. Sorry.

Upvote 0
hmm i don know what is actually starting up first giving info you said. Ill ask around in a bit.

Just to be sure do you have killingfloor.log in your system folder with some stuff in it, if so attach it here.

try to disable the steam community from inside steam as well.

Righto, I will try that...

And no, my killingfloor.log is empty.

Upvote 0
Don't give up man. I've got similar issues as well. I've been doing many tests to try to narrow the issue down. Persistent? Yes. Not going to let the computer win against me in this. Although I do hope Tripwire releases a patch very soon to hopefully solve all these problems.

You can see my thread here.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=441315#post441315

Upvote 0
Don't give up man. I've got similar issues as well. I've been doing many tests to try to narrow the issue down. Persistent? Yes. Not going to let the computer win against me in this. Although I do hope Tripwire releases a patch very soon to hopefully solve all these problems.

The computers tend to hate me, but being persistent has always helped there ^^ And well, there's not really any other options here rather than giving up or keep on pushing towards a solution.

Speaking of which, I also tried that compatibility suggestion out, didn't work I'm afraid.

Upvote 0