• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game grass ruins my day

FlyXwire

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2006
So I'm playing Barracks as a Soviet marksman, and I'm going to be sneaky and stealthy, so I crawl up through the grass on the left side of the map not too far from the spawn point. I'm using the rises and folds to pick my way forward in the field, oh, and the dry grass for additonal cover to blend my khaki as mud uniform into.......problem is, the grass is LOD adjusted (level of detail), and it switches on only for my visual benefit, but switches off at distance and does nothing to affect the aim of the enemy soldier looking back my way.

Yeah, all my beautiful belly-rubbing antics to get into an unsuspecting position from which to strike from, and the grass does nothing but impede my view, and does nothing to interfere with the enemy's (it disappears and there we are, naked as a jaybird).

I'm sure there's a way to switch grass off, but then that's not the point!

I did. just turned Foilage to low. It have me a HUGE FPS increase
It's practically cheating though, in common sense term. Technically it's allowed because it's in the game.
It really shouldn't though, I bloody hate when people can turn off foilage for an advantage (hi there, ARMA 2). Makes you feel handicapped for not turning it off.

Hope it gets fixed in one way or another.

Upvote 0
In RO1 grass was done with brushes and was a permanent part of the map. It made anti-tanking great on maps like Ogledow, crawling through the wheat fields with a Panzerfaust sneaking up on those T-34s...

Frankly, this very feature right here was one of the coolest things about RO1 to me. It rewarded stealthy, tactical play. I hate disappearing foliage... :(

Upvote 0
So I'm playing Barracks as a Soviet marksman, and I'm going to be sneaky and stealthy, so I crawl up through the grass on the left side of the map not too far from the spawn point. I'm using the rises and folds to pick my way forward in the field, oh, and the dry grass for additonal cover to blend my khaki as mud uniform into.......problem is, the grass is LOD adjusted (level of detail), and it switches on only for my visual benefit, but switches off at distance and does nothing to affect the aim of the enemy soldier looking back my way.

Yeah, all my beautiful belly-rubbing antics to get into an unsuspecting position from which to strike from, and the grass does nothing but impede my view, and does nothing to interfere with the enemy's (it disappears and there we are, naked as a jaybird).

I'm sure there's a way to switch grass off, but then that's not the point!

I'm almost positive I was the one who killed you as I remember playing against you the other day.

I was an MG and noticed someone crawling slowly on the dirt towards a tree. You were sort of prone strafing to keep an eye downfield.

I wasted no time

Upvote 0
Could very have been DiedTrying! I was getting MGed from the building on my left front, and also from a trooper under the stairs in the breezeway between this building and the next one closer to me on my left......very frustrating trying to "do it as it was done", and just have the door shut on ya everytime.

Btw, I go as "Killjoy" on Steam. :)

Hedgehog was one of my favorite maps in RO (both the original "mod" version, and the remake)......it had great grass and/or fields of grain. Here's all I could find image-wise of it on the net:

Red Orchestra InGame - Hedgehog: Joyride - YouTube

Upvote 0
It's practically cheating though, in common sense term. Technically it's allowed because it's in the game.
It really shouldn't though, I bloody hate when people can turn off foilage for an advantage (hi there, ARMA 2). Makes you feel handicapped for not turning it off.

Hope it gets fixed in one way or another.

This is funny because ArmA2 is one of the few games that actually tries to combat low detail = advantage.

I wonder why grass isn't a brush anymore...

Upvote 0
lol not at all. Grass is grass and it is not transparent no matter how you look at it.
lol but we only have 2d screens not stereoscopic 3d like our eyes.
Often one eye is blocked and the other not so in effect some things seem transparent.
Having grass close up being transparent would be the best approximation of how human vision works.

Edit: Indeed, starting a sentence with "lol" makes you look like a fool.

Last edited:
Upvote 0