• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

For the love of Firefight!

ROII4Me

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
I find it curious that Americans, by and large, do not play Firefight mode.

Granted, I am an American, and I didn't play it much throughout my RO career. But after the same maps over and over, same tactics, same everything, it is nice to play some fast and loose pickup games.

And when I am most in the mood is typically later at night, and especially Friday or Saturday night around Midnight or later, when I somewhat lubricated and simply looking engage in close combat situations without all the voice chat and arguments that come with Territory or Campaign, or the long waits for something to happen as a defender, the long waits for a spawn that will lead to a 10 second life as an attacker, or the extremely lopsided games where one side digs in and slaughters the other side who can't take the first line of defense, etc. But the Firefight servers are empty then.

There are times when I enjoy Firefight tremendously, especially when there is a server full of human players and many of them are very good. Unfortunately that only happens during the daytime.

The Europeans seem to appreciate Firefight more, as there are usually at least two servers nearly full during what for me is daytime.

At about 6 PM Eastern Time they go empty and it is rarely more than 6 humans in a Firefight server the rest of the night.

While it makes for good bot farming to level up classes and weapons, it is always much more fun when there is some worthy human opponents.

If there is a Realism Firefight server people are particularly fond of with a short ping for American players, I would be happy to start visiting it on a regular basis if other people want to revive the Firefight mode of play.

Something we considered early on (but did not have time to trial and experiment) was making Firefight a sort of "ready up" mode for when the server did not have enough players to start its intended mode with a set minimum number of players.

I hope we get a chance to revisit that at some point.

Upvote 0
We do FF a couple times a week, but its waiting on people to get ingame to do Countdown and Search and Destroy. Normally we do it for .5 to 1 hr as warm up but if people iron sight they get YELLED at!! LOL Hip only to warm up for BATTLE!!!
{GFA} our friends in France are always playing FF for the past 2 yrs...

Who is "We?" I would be interested in Countdown and S&D but I have rarely played either. They both are good for short attention span times, as I mentioned above, if not as much as Firefight.

Firefight can still have plenty of team work and taking enemy strongholds, but in a more ad hoc, impromptu sort of way.

One major irritant to FF maps, is the way bots spawn in places they cannot leave from, and so one's team starts to lose men.

For instance, the tall green tower in the Grain Elevator map, fills up with Russian bots who just run around like gerbils. And on Station they end up piling up on a stairway.

I wish there were zero negative points awarded for killing your own bots! Either that or they would have set the spawns so NOBODY spawns above the ground floor or even indoors.

Which brings up an issue with Stalingrad Kessel. As bots spawn in the tall sniper building, as do the human Germans, which gives them a tremendous advantage on that map, even if it is fun to then clear them out as a Russian.

Upvote 0
We being the Stalingrad Bridge Club and Friends from diff clans and community get together religiously 2+ times a wk on our Bloodbath server to do CD and SD. Been doing it for 2 yrs. Every Sunday is a guaranteed nite that we are on fighting it out and talking trash to each other in TS for 2-3 hrs. Actually the past 4 nights we have been on slaughtering each other and tonight might be another. I am about to set a public locked CD 6 map battle on our server in a wk or so. I will make a thread to allow people to join up maybe tonight. Join us on our server, its in Dallas Texas Bro.

Upvote 0