• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Flamethrower underpowered?

agree

agree

imo, instead of learning to adjust your own game to counter the awesome and troublesome flamethrower too many people have whinged whined and complained so often about the damage they received when shot with the sticky flame. It seems it has been nerfed so they can continue their run&gun COD type play. I think the developers had it right in the beginning, but they did have the pace (too fast) of the flamer wrong. return the damage, but reduce speed as it is a heavy class.

Upvote 0
I've hit people directly with the flamethrower (or the general position they're in) and I get no kill. It doesnt seem to want to kill anyone if they're more than 10m away. :mad:

considering I regularly get lit up like a christmas tree from people shooting flames 25 meters away over my head I think the lamer is fine and one of you were lagging. I've run through lamers and bayoneted them a few times but it happens extremely rarely.

Upvote 0
The important thing to remember with the Flamethrower is it takes a fair bit of time to reach distance, and the early portion of the burst is actually quite narrow. From the first person perspective it can seem like it's reaching out wider and farther than it really is, so if a player catches you mid squeeze he has the opportunity to drop you beforehand.

Upvote 0
Thus before the tide of comments floweth from thyne intranets, the vast majority of people would disagree with the underpowered part.

Max range of the flamethrower is roughly 25 metres in game, chances are you hit someone who had perhaps just spawned on their Squad Leader. Or you got unlucky with lag.

This most likely. Thanks.

i had replied before your post r5cya, don't know why not shown. reference only from ingame flamers that use it a lot, perhaps they were experiencing what was explained in the above quote. makes sense to what i recently found.

Upvote 0
Unless it was on a action mode server where you spam flames for more than 3 seconds to start doing damages it is not underpowered at all, action mode with flamethrower is a no go, sometimes it can take more than 3 seconds to burn someone in this game mode ...

If you wasn't on a action server it is a different problem i guess, maybe lag combined with the bad client side hit detection, but ft is powered more than enough in all other game modes, instant death ...

Upvote 0
The flamethrower has a very specific role, and in most cases isnt very useful at all. Yes, you can clear a bunker with it, but getting there is usually very difficult with your limited range... you basically can only run and hope they don't shoot you.

When you finally get to a good position, you can spray a little, but this will attract so much attention that you're dead before you manage to kill a single guy.

I don't know why people say it's a rambo class, because it fails miserably at that. Compared to a nice banzai charge... now that's rambo (but the good kind :D)

Upvote 0
I think Flamethrowers are a valid weapon, I hate them too because I tend to feel like I have zero chance against them, nothing more frustrating being fried to death around a corner, but thats fine I will work with it..

But what really annoys me is the fact that I can shoot flamers long before they see me, in the head to, and they still do not die even when they are stationary like they have shielding on or something, coupled with the rubbish "insta gib" feel the have, surely even in my death throws I can pull a trigger for a chance of revenge in the name of balance, apparently not, I just melt like a candle? :rolleyes:

I think that any server that doesn't allow flamers (and mortars for the sake of balance) will be constantly full. Sad to say it but as they are right now it just feels a tad OP ( I only play realism on RS).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But what really annoys me is the fact that I can shoot flamers long before they see me, in the head to, and they still do not die even when they are stationary like they have shielding on or something

I've seen people say this before, but never noticed it myself. Is there any evidence for this?

I did notice that they're pretty (too?) safe to their own flames, but I've never had problems killing them with bullets.

Upvote 0
I've seen people say this before, but never noticed it myself. Is there any evidence for this?

Other than my anecdotal evidence right now, I don't, so its essentially worthless for bug management, I'm sure somebody somewhere will have video evidence of it, it happens fairly often and I know I'm not the only player who has noticed it because it gets mentioned a lot, I thought it was just whining, but nope I have seen it first hand.

Upvote 0
The Flame Thrower in Realism/Action Mode is massively overpowered at the moment.

Think my current level is something like 38 and I can swap my secondary weapon to be a Carbine or Shotgun.

At the moment I can spawn on Squad Leader as the flamer thrower, which could put me about 5-10 from the current objective.

My run speed is actually faster than a Squad Leader carrying the Thompson with the drum mag. (This makes zero sense to me)

I can swap to my Shotgun to have a devastating effect at over 50m range. Which allows me to then swap back to my Flame Thrower to quickly clear out a bunker/trench/objective building.

My suggestions are:

1. Lower movement speed
  2. Treat Flame Thrower like a sniper (Don't allow to spawn on SL)

Upvote 0