• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Flamethrower, or Trenchgun?

Flamethrower, or Trenchgun?

• Flamethrower

Votes: 59 50.4%
  • Trenchgun

Votes: 58 49.6%

• Total voters
I like both equally. Typically on tighter, more closed maps like bedlam and Offices I prefer the Flamethrower, but on slightly more open maps I'll opt for the Trenchgun.

On a side note, I honestly prefer the MAC-10 as my default firebug weapon, and I've started taking MAC 10 and Flare revolvers as my loadout, using flares as a backup for emergencies and detonating fire nades. I like having the extra space, any recommendations on an offperk I could take with this loadout?

Upvote 0
Given the fact that the Husk is immune to plain fire, I would say the trenchgun which works as a ballistic weapon -aside the fire damage Dragons Breath rounds do to enemies-.

When it comes to area coverage/denial however, the flamethrower is way ahead.

My thoughts.:cool:

Nope. The husk is only immune to dot's that came from a weapon with no bullet damage e.a. flamethrower and flame nades.
Trenchgun dot can kill a husk. Aim the upper torso so that few pellets hit the head, rest the body and you will take away 50% with bullet damage and another 50% through fire dot <hoe/6p>. (If that's what you are saying).

Anyway the whole question is obsolete because every firebug should buy a huskball launcher as soon as possible. The huskball is superior to these two in ANY way. Whether you buy a flamethrower or trenchgun is more about personal preference I guess, although trenchgun is technically a bit more powerfull.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anyway the whole question is obsolete because every firebug should buy a huskball launcher as soon as possible. The huskball is superior to these two in ANY way.
Why? That's like saying every Sharp should go straight for the M99 because it can 2 shot FPs, every Commando should get the Scar and FAL because they have the highest damage, or every Demo should get the M32 because it is more versatile. Hint: I never grab the M99, I always carry at least one AK-47 or Bullpup when I play Commando (with no off perk weaponry), and I like taking the LAW to derp around occasionally. Does this make me a bad player?
I stand by my statement that the flamethrower is king of trashkilling for Firebug, and Trench has good spike damage going for it. Husk can stun Scrakes and take all sorts of stuff, but if I am playing Firebug, I tend to leave that stuff for others. It has it's advantages, yes, I'm not denying that, but it also has some disadvantages, and saying that it is outright better than the other two is subjective.

I don't tell you how to play your game, please don't tell me how to play mine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rarely been using trenchgun as Firebug since flamethrower kills group trash quickly and flares/ recoil 10 to kill single specimens/ Husks if needed...

"See that large group of trash? I'm going to make it vanish *flames* Ta-daa~"
Anyway the whole question is obsolete because every firebug should buy a huskball launcher as soon as possible. The huskball is superior to these two in ANY way. Whether you buy a flamethrower or trenchgun is more about personal preference I guess, although trenchgun is technically a bit more powerfull.
I usually stick with flamethrower, deal with trash and let others to deal with Husks, SCs and FPs.
In Patchy fight, I'll change for HFL (and probably for medic).

Upvote 0