• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Flamethrower, or Trenchgun?

Flamethrower, or Trenchgun?

• Flamethrower

Votes: 59 50.4%
  • Trenchgun

Votes: 58 49.6%

• Total voters
(e.g. Trenchgun, MAC-10, single Flare Revolver).

This has been my new favorite loadout for firebug. The versatility is beyond compare. My only complaint is that there's no real solid way to solo a 6man HOE scrake with it.

The reason that dual Flare Revolvers + Husk Fireball Launcher is probably the best overall loadout...

I'll switch to this loadout if I stick with firebug for the later waves. My complaint here is that I tend to dump a lot of cash into flare pistol ammo when using duals for primary crowd control.

Upvote 0
Honestly, the husk launcher is vastly underrated. After taking some time to use it in HoE, ive found its actually a great replacement for the FT at later waves. You can light enemies on fire with just quick tap shots, give a bit of an extra charge to take out sirens at long range, and you can put out some respectable damage against scrakes and FPs if needed (if a sharpy misses and/or the FP enrages, for example). Also, its really not hard to solo a scrake with it as well, its just somewhat ammo-intensive.

I usually take the dual revolvers as well, mostly as a secondary weapon... putting down groups of trash or medium-sized zeds quickly, or in combination with the husk to take on FPs (again, if the situation calls for it).

Even though i voted for the FT, the trench gun is still good, and having more options is always better. The recent additions have really beefed up the firebug, its a shame i still got kicked today for picked it :(

Upvote 0
I'm such a noob I vote for FT. But that's only because I don't like trenchgun at all. It's weak at killing big crowds of trash mobs, and that's the main job of FB. Burst damage is a moot point when you can have flare revolver(s) or MAC.

How is playing the class cleverly noobish? I think it is smart, I play it the same way. ;P

Upvote 0
How is playing the class cleverly noobish? I think it is smart, I play it the same way. ;P
Well.. I mainly said that because of flamer's tendency to blind the team. Not anything horrible usually, but an inexperienced FB can really mess up a team of sharpshooters :p

Also, lots of people here seem to consider trenchgun vastly superior, I don't. Call me a noob but I can do much better with flamethrower.

Upvote 0
It depends a lot on what you're fighting. With the higher initial damage, trenchgun is better against bigger things or closer things, and with the general KF mentality thesedays (ie. "I PLAY A TRASHKILLER CLASS, BUT WANT TO KILL EVERYTHING") people take it because they can kill stuff faster with it.

I still think the FT is far more flexible though, and with it's fuel you should be able to easily last 2, maybe 3 waves with using it carefully.

Upvote 0
IMHO Flamethrower is better than Trenchgun, but I love using the latter too. The Flamethrower is just perfect for dealing with large groups of zeds (and the firebug was intended to do so) while the Trenchgun is good only with small groups, unless you hit frantically the reload button.

In the end, if my team want to play a good match I go with Flamethrower and mac, but if we're playing on easy difficults and we're screwing around I go with Trenchgun, mac and EXCLUSIVE DLC FLAMING REVOLVHURR OMG KICK P2W.

ok sorry, but once i got kicked from a server because I was using the ICJ weapon pack. Felt bad man :C

Upvote 0
IMHO Flamethrower is better than Trenchgun, but I love using the latter too. The Flamethrower is just perfect for dealing with large groups of zeds (and the firebug was intended to do so) while the Trenchgun is good only with small groups, unless you hit frantically the reload button.

In the end, if my team want to play a good match I go with Flamethrower and mac, but if we're playing on easy difficults and we're screwing around I go with Trenchgun, mac and EXCLUSIVE DLC FLAMING REVOLVHURR OMG KICK P2W.

ok sorry, but once i got kicked from a server because I was using the ICJ weapon pack. Felt bad man :C

Really? That is pretty lame, normally You shouldn't kick or disallow use of a weapon in the game, the reasoning is obvious. I heard of this crap in BF3 servers with the new generation of Codkids owning servers and banning the use of SHOTGUNS and certain weapons. In EA terms of service regarding online play; I read you can't ban/restrict the use of stuff ingame without violating the said terms of service. (so glad, I left BF3 and its now permanent awfulness behind.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Given the two provided choices, I'd have to give my vote to the flamethrower. While it certainly has some limitations, it is the equivalent of a squad-level tactical nuke on anything below Scrake on the specimen foodchain. Anytime the team is about to be engulfed, it is the Firebug who is able to say, "Exit this way, please" by using the flamethrower. The trenchgun isn't going to make that happen. At least, not nearly as quickly, efficiently and painlessly. Other than the crossbow, I think it is the most-powerful weapon a player can spawn with.

The flamethrower is an absolute godsend on mission maps, where you can have insane swarms of predominately trash-class specimens. I don't see how a team can progress successfully without one. I'm sure it is done, but it seems like an unnecessary handicap not to have one on-hand.

The trenchgun is definitely a fine weapon, and, IMO, is probably a better choice for the team that is constantly on the move, where the time-of-flight of the "projectile" can be an issue. For example, the 200 meter stroll across KF-Farm, where you can have threats from pretty much any clock position, is probably a better stage for the trenchgun. While I don't think this weapon contributes too much to blinding teammates, occasionally the impact of the shot is a bit blinding to the shooter. I admit to having a few misses on crawlers in dark areas and not realizing it until they're feasting on my legs. Still, this is a nasty weapon, and has undoubtedly attracted some players to give the Firebug perk a serious second look. I'm glad to see it in the inventory.

While not a choice in the poll, there isn't any question the flare pistols, (for those of you who have purchased the DLC), hit VERY hard, and can do a tremendous amount of damage for just the cost of a few blocks of carrying capacity. The time-of-flight of the flare can be a downside, as well as it being entirely negated by a Siren's scream. Still well worth carrying if you're able.

I believe the "sleeper" of the Firebug's quintet of weapons is the MAC-10. At Level 6, you can have up to 480 incendiary rounds. 480 individual opportunities, (because this weapon is magnificent on semi-auto), to erase trash at extreme range, or to "highlight" and slow a middle-tier threat so that your teammates can either engage or take advantage of the target's delayed advance. And, with a click of the mouse, you can add a respectable amount of spike damage to a squad's effort to crush a marauding Scrake or Fleshpound by doing a mag-dump into it's dome.

While this doesn't remotely make the 'Bug a Scrake/Fleshpound killer, it is better than adding to the chaos and confusion by hosing down a turbo-charged FP with the flamethrower who is gyrating about in the middle of your camp. That choice is probably worse than a waste of time; you'd be more useful just syringing your squad. When playing 'Bug, I'm never without the MAC.

Somehow, I still haven't managed the time to get cozy with the Husk gun. Perhaps I've missed it, but I've been waiting for a "Everything You Need to Know About The Husk Fireball Launcher And Nothing You Don't" treatise, written by an accomplished Firebug, who, unlike myself, actually has a clue to playing that particular perk, and effectively using that particular weapon. I'm thinking there is probably some secret, special-sauce voodoo involved with that shooter.

That's why you play with friends. On servers that you or the friends own. :]
I'm not going to avoid my favorite perk just because some someone else in the server is playing on a toaster.

I don't think I'm a hardware-Nazi, but I must "+1" this, in any case.

Upvote 0
I think the main function of husk gun is igniting the smaller stuff, much like FT. Haven't played with it enough, but it might make a decent alternative when used right. Also weighs less, might be useful at times.

E: not a fan of the gun, though

This, using the charge function and charging a small charge fire into a wall next to a large mob and you will toast almost all the mob, burn damage will be more effective and ammo-conserving than spamming the launcher like alot of people do. Direct impacts are more useful/efficient on bigger stuff like husks, sirens(firebug-nemesis), and stunning scrakes, IF needed. I'd still avoid tackling scrakes if possible.

Upvote 0
I think the main function of husk gun is igniting the smaller stuff, much like FT. Haven't played with it enough, but it might make a decent alternative when used right. Also weighs less, might be useful at times.

E: not a fan of the gun, though

Eh, in my view, the flamethrower is perfect against anything under a bloat, while adding a bit of damage to bloat/siren.

The husk cannon basically steps up a notch, and is pefect against sirens, bloats, scrakes (although ammo intensive), and is useful against crowds of smaller zeds, and suffices against individual small zeds.

I don't like it though, because I think it changes a firebug's role. IMHO they should be little thing killers. If you're trying to be a middle-man, may as well play support or something.

Upvote 0
As a lower level Firebug(only level 2), I don't currently get the range boosts to the flamethrower. So in open maps like Mountain Pass, I prefer the trenchgun. It can damage spike up close if I need it to, but the pellets also fly out and spread in such a way to engulf a group of trash mobs if I need it to at a distance. It looks like a concentrated burst of napalm when it hits a hillside. I suppose my opinion will change once I get up higher and get those range boosts for the flamethrower, but I really do like my trenchgun.

The MAC-10/flare revolver debate interests me. I like both, but again at low levels the MAC-10 is doing a great job because of those quick decaps on trash and the much larger magazine size. I am practicing getting headshots unscoped, and having 30+ rounds is much nicer than having 6 or 12. But as I go up in difficulty and the usefulness of the MAC-10 declines, I can understand switching to the flare revolvers and having to learn to play smarter to avoid getting in situations where I will need a 30-round magazine.

Upvote 0
I always go with flamethrower and mac10.

To me the trenchgun is good for just a single enemy at a time, which is kinda useless being that the flamethrower seems to take them down faster anyway.
I melt down the scrakes in a couple seconds, and do fairly well to take down the fp's, which I couldn't do if I were using the trenchgun

As for the husk fireball launcher, that thing is useless to me. Very low damage to what I expected when I used it, and I immidietly stopped. Unreliable weapon for the most part, at least in my opinion. Long range and no reloading is good, but not my cup of tea.

I've never had a problem with my team being blinded by my fire :T

Last edited:
Upvote 0