• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fixed !!! - 'This version of RO:Ostfront is incompatible ..."

I have never had this problem before 10 minutes ago. I was disconnected from a server mid-game, tried to rejoin and got the dreaded message. Tried connecting to other servers and got the same message. I have quit and restarted steam, and logged out and in again, and it still doesn't work.

Any reason why this would have started now? Any other advice?

Upvote 0
The following steps have worked for some:
#1)
1.Shut down your computer
2. Restart your computer

or

#2)
1. Exit Red Orchestra (give it time to unload itself)
2. Go to Steam -> Files -> Change User
3. Steam will warn you, ignore and just hit 'Log out...'
4. Log back in when steam offers you a Log in screen
5. Launch Red Orchestra

or

#3)
1.Shut down Steam
2.Delete the clientregistry.blob file
3.Restart Steam

I would also suggest setting Steam so that it does not automatically start when Windows starts up. Imho, there is just too much going on during boot that could cause file corruption if Steam decides to update or change a file.

Upvote 0
Speedee said:
Is there a permanent fix to this issue yet or do you have to keep relogging back into steam every 10 or 20 minutes ??
I assume you are referring to the "incompatible version" error?

It shouldn't happen, but it may every once in a great while and generally logging off and back on corrects the problem for me. Are you actually having to log into steam every 10-20 minutes? Does is kick you out of the game? Is someone else trying to playing another game (or even RO) on the same Steam account? That will kick you out every time.

A little more detail about what exactly you are experiencing will get you better help.

Floyd

Upvote 0
Follow these instructions to the letter:

Error: I can't connect to the servers online - I get the message ""Can't Connect - The version you are running is different from the servers"
Fix:
1. Exit Red Orchestra
2. Go to Steam -> Files -> Change User
3. Steam will warn you, ignore and just hit 'Log out...'
4. Log back in when steam offers you a Log in screen
5. Launch Red Orchestra

Upvote 0
just thought id let you know that i got this problem today. Out of the blue i get "connection failed" or somesuch while playing and then i get the "This copy of RO:Ostfront is not compatible with the server you are connection to". whenever i try to connect to a server except the one were i got the message the first time, on that server i just get "connection failed".

Iv tried all the fixes proposed here but none of them work.

Edit: the "store" part of steam gives me an internet explorer "Action Canceled" error screen, could this somehow be related?

Edit2: i did some checking and im unable to access the www.steampowered.com site. I know its not down because i asked a friend of mine (who can play the game) to check it out and its up. It turnes out one of my ISPs servers is down and for some reason the tracert to that site goes through that server. I think this is the reason i cant play on my normal servers. I also did some checking on non VAC secured servers and i could connect to those. That further supports my theory that this error is a symptom of not being able to connect to the steam auth server (at least in my case).

Last edited:
Upvote 0