• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Movie] First Squad - Russian Anime set in Eastern Front

I saw the movie and I loved the story, characters, direction and animation. And CG is very well made too

However, there are several downsides:

-Continuous commentary cuts may add informative value for some people, but for me, it breaks the immersion a lot.

-Felt really short, and after seeing the music video clip, I expected Nazi mecha battles and more fights. The end is open to a sequel and I would be VERY disappointed if they don't make one. It just seemed as if there wasn't enough movie.

-Germans speak Russian

My note: 6.5 (Recommended, but don't expect too much)

PD: 6.5 (which is good in my standards, as there is only one thing in the world for me that manages to get to 9.5)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I saw it as well, and agree with Fedorov, except I thought the story was kinda thin. Kinda disappointed, dont know, maybe I expected something different.

The "documentary" cutscenes were just bad and that was mostly what destroyed it for me, especially when since it mixed fact and fiction in the way they did.

I'd give it 7/10 thats mostly for art direction which some places is great - especially the intro which had me hoping for something better.

Upvote 0
Wasted a lot of screen time trying to make it appear more real or plausible, shortening the actual movie.

I like both things anime and documentary, but I don't like having to switch gears every 3 minutes.

It also makes it appear that is much more to happen and be told as:

Spoiler!

Upvote 0