• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Firestorm?

I'm currently on my iPhone, so I'll be making this short.

In late August 1942, a firestorm in Stalingrad was caused by some sort of bombing. Does anyone know the size or effects of the fire? It could make a cool setting and would be around the same time RO2 loosely takes place (August 1942).

A massive German air bombardment on August 23 caused a firestorm, killing thousands and turning Stalingrad into a vast landscape of rubble and burnt ruins. Ninety percent of the living space in the Voroshilovskiy area was destroyed.
From:[url]http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/ww2/Stalingrad.html[/URL]
Googled "firestorm in stalingrad 1942" and first link clicked upon:rolleyes:

Reactions: fredkruge
Upvote 0
Sounds like a good map idea.
@diedtrying - Theyre not allowed to make a map based upon it due to real life limitations? Its called creating an interesting map, it doesnt have to be 100% must mimic real life situations based on terrain. Yes I understand this is a realism game, I like that, but just because of that, they dont have to take out types of maps they could make that may be fun and well made.
IDEA: they could just make 1 person drop dead every 30 seconds on any other map due to all the stuff going on (fuel exhaust being breathed in, bomb w/e leftover after it explodes, allergies the combatant may have if they walk by that bush over there...) lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@diedtrying - Theyre not allowed to make a map based upon it due to real life limitations? Its called creating an interesting map, it doesnt have to be 100% must mimic real life situations based on terrain. Yes I understand this is a realism game, I like that, but just because of that, they dont have to take out types of maps they could make that may be fun and well made.
IDEA: they could just make 1 person drop dead every 30 seconds on any other map due to all the stuff going on (fuel exhaust being breathed in, bomb w/e leftover after it explodes, allergies the combatant may have if they walk by that bush over there...) lol.

I really don't think you know what a firestorm is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, no it doesn't.

To elaborate:
Quite literally a tornado of fire, this phenomenon created a huge outdoor blast furnace, containing winds of up to 240 km/h (150 mph) and reaching temperatures of 800

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, no it doesn't.

To elaborate:

Let's not even mention the firestorm weather system, or spontaneous combustion of even the least flammable objects.

and if you had the map with the fire in the background, you really wouldn't notice it with all the buildings around. Some dark skies and smoke clouds and the occasional 100 foot high flame. But in the heat of battle you really don't notice background images.

Upvote 0
Let's not even mention the firestorm weather system, or spontaneous combustion of even the least flammable objects.

and if you had the map with the fire in the background, you really wouldn't notice it with all the buildings around. Some dark skies and smoke clouds and the occasional 100 foot high flame. But in the heat of battle you really don't notice background images.

Hmm?
Spoiler!

Upvote 0
No, no it doesn't.

To elaborate:
mighty :IS2: wasn't made yet

now in a late-war match, in a flying is2 shooting at a kt flying on the other side, that would be awesome...

...the part that was missing out of the battle in pirates of the caribbean 3 was the absence of a massive fire :cool:

op wasn't going on about fighting in firestorm, more fighting on hill 137 but with more toasty buildings and ruins :p

Upvote 0
I still stand by the idea of having a fight in the ruins of the firestorm, like around the time when it actually became viable to fight in....ashes everywhere, ruins, as I said. Would be very interesting how players would cope with it.

Well to be honest, there are already maps like that. Maybe not with ash falling, but ruins and fires and general darkness yes.

Not sure how much ash fell in Stalingrad after the bombing and whether or not any major operations occurred afterward. I could forsee ash fall causing a few problems, but fighting would still be quite possible.

Upvote 0
that was an investigation of a woman who "spontaneously combusted"
What is your point by posting this?

that's what I'm trying to figure out about you :)

Spontaneous may not have been the most correct term, but it certainly does fit by definition.

My point is, objects and people would catch on fire even when they are moderately distant from the actual fire.

Would make for an interesting map I suppose, run around and BOOM, you are engulfed in flames.

Upvote 0