• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Finaly solved my Splash Screen crashing problems

Aces

Jun 2, 2007
Finally solved my Splash Screen crashing problems

Hi,

After several months of the game crashing on the Splash Screen or ocassionally running and then hanging or crashing during gameplay I have resolved my problems. One time the game ran but hung and the sound kept repeating so I started to think that my problems could be sound-related so I bought a PCI sound card, a cheap Sound blaster 5.1vx and disabled my on-board Realtek HD Audio via the BIOS. Not only does the game launch every time and run smoothly (about 30FPS on ultra settings @ 1920x1080) without stuttering or mini freezes but I have noticed improvement on several other games, particularly T34 vs Tiger.

I've never been a lover of onboard sound and all my previous gaming rigs have had a sound card but this time I thought I'd try onboard sound, not a mistake I'll be making again :(. I appreciate it won't help everyone but it is something that could be tried for little money as the 5.1vx card is "as cheap as chips as we say".

Hope it helps someone.

Kind regards

Aces

Last edited:
just for the sake of testing could you try to enable and use the onboard soundcard again with for instance both new drivers and the latest version of directx from microsoft.

Perhaps for others with a similar issue a method can be found to help them, as trying to buy a new sound card won't be something everybody wants to try. And a lot of people with onboard sound have the game running fine.

Upvote 0
Yes, happily, I'll try that this evening and let you know. I have had this problem all along ever since day 1. the only way that I could ever get it working was by deleting the congig folder and letting the game re-create it but that didn't solve the crashing and lock ups issue.

I do know that there was a big memory leak in the Realtek drivers which prevented me from running T34vsTiger successfully (repeated BSODs) until I tried some by a guy with the same problem who had hacked the Realtek drivers. This allowed me to play t34vsT but sadly not RO2. I'm not a fan of this particulary on-board chipset/driver versions for these reasons. You are right, I know that changing sound cards is a somewhat drastic solution but it is the only thing that has worked for me and I also am getting much better sound as a bonus.

I'll post back this evening.

Kind regards

PS, running Windows XP SP3 with the latest DirectX 9, 2.5 GHZ intel quad core with 4GB memory and Nvidia GTX260.

Aces

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi, as promised:

I disabled the soundblaster card, re-enabled the on-board Realtek audio and then let it find a driver without installing the Realtek driver. Tried the game and it crashed at the Splash Screen with the usual rogame.exe error.

I then installed the latesdt Realtech HD audio driver, same problam as above. I then instgalled my old "hacked" Realtech driver and again , sam proble, crashing at splash screen.

I rebooted, disabled the on-board audio again in BIOS, re-enabled the soundblaster device, re-booted and the game loaded flawlessly so this eems to have resolved the problem conclussively in my case.#

Your mileage might vary as they say but for me I've proved to myself that the problem on mny rig was the Realtek HD AUDIO.

Hope it helps other with the same on-board audio,

Good luck

Aces

Upvote 0