• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fear and Killing Floor

Nova!

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2013
I've seen some people on the TWI's forums complaining about how Killing Floor has gone from being terrifying and brilliantly scary to silly and almost nonsensical. However, I'm posting to talk about fear and that, while the ambiance of Killing Floor hasn't stayed the same throughout its current life, it certainly has lost any terror that it originally had.

First, let's look at fear itself. To start off, if you have read the Harry Potter series, then you'll probably remember this quote from Dumbledore:
"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more."

For some reason, this quote rang out loud to me, and fairly recently did I realize that this is because of how much sense it makes when it comes to actual fear: we fear what we don't know, aren't certain of, or otherwise don't understand (though I'm not sure if everybody else in the world learns this early, since I've never really thought about it before). This is most noticeable when we think about why we fear or are otherwise scared of things that range from the undiscovered animals in the dark deep blues of the sea we have yet to explore, to the abnormal walk of the mentally impaired: Because we don't know or aren't certain about them.

Questions race through our minds when it comes to topics like this; for example, one might see a person pacing in an abnormal fashion while in a local grocery store. Immediately, most people that bare to notice the abnormal pace have at least this question race through their mind: Why are they walking like that? And that is because they aren't certain of what actually happened to impair their walk. Of course, the person might have just stubbed their toe or had their leg fall asleep and are trying to walk it off, but unless he tell people, then nobody knows that, and whether they'd like to admit it or not, the person that sees this experiences at least a small amount of fear.

Summary: We fear what we don't know.

-----------------------------------------------

Now, how does this translate to Killing Floor? Well, first off, Killing Floor is a "Survival Horror" game. Most (as in the ones that don't abuse jump scares to no end) creators of this type of games or other media know very well about fear, and both use and abuse it to make the experience scarier. How they pull this off is by putting those going through the experience in situations where they ask the most questions, which means that they become increasingly uncertain. Walking down a sunny road and spotting a random dog won't raise most questions other than "Whose dog is that?" and "Will that dog attack me?", but walking down a dark, blood-laced hallway and coming upon a dog missing a leg and barking at seemingly nothing will certainly raise some questions, as well as some neckhair.

Killing Floor is a unique case, similar to that of Left 4 Dead. "B-B-B-UT KILLING FLOOR AND LEFT 4 DEAD ARENT THAT SIMILAR!!! THEYRE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES!!!!!" That is true. However, their fear comes from very similar situations, for the most part. When you first start the game, and begin your first playthrough, you may be anywhere incredibly fearful to prepared but still a bit frightened, depending on how experienced you are with the genre and how much research you did on the game. However, since it's the first playthrough, fear is guaranteed at some point, and this is because you don't know much of how the game works (even IF you did research on the game). This fear doesn't last through many more playthroughs, because you're learning more about how the game works, and are using that knowledge to answer the initially raised questions. That little black crawling bugger isn't as scary when you learn that he only leaps very close to you, the giant, silly-sounding chainsaw wielding git doesn't fare very well to constantly being wacked with a samurai sword, and that giant ****** with mincers for arms isn't as scary when he's being pumped full of AA12 rounds. This also translates to how far through you're in, as you only start out with a peashooter, giving a very fair balance of uncertainty pertaining to whether or not you'll survive at any point (it isn't uncommon to be surrounded on wave 1 and immediately offed if you aren't a seasoned veteran or are going up to a tougher difficulty), especially notable during the Patriarch, who is still pretty hard to win against even if your team is experienced. Basically, Killing Floor has situations where you're able to answer the questions, moreso than, say, Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

The only way that Tripwire Interactive could possibly make the game scarier for older and vastly experienced players would be to release a new specimen that has an incredibly strange but still terrifying appearance as well as a completely random attack pattern, and not make any mention of it whatsoever. This would raise the most questions out of any other addition to the game, short of one of the developers being brutally murdered, with a note on his mutilated corpse reading "FLESH. POOOUUUUUUUUUNNNDDD."

"The game isn't as scary as it once was" is true in essence, but only from your point of view. Plus, walking through a low-gravity spaceship and turning to see this is just as scary, if not scarier, as walking through a brightly lit london and spotting a Gorefast for the first time would be.

In Conclusion: Yes, Killing Floor isn't as scary anymore for you, and yes, the vibe it gives off isn't as dark and gritty as it used to be. However, the scare factor is completely dependent on YOUR experience, and has very little to do with how old the game is, or how TWI tweaks the ambiance of the game by adding new events with strange-looking specimens.

Last edited:
Clicked the " [this] " and almost spooked.

But yes, the 'from your perspective' applies to a lot of the olde farte arguments on here. I keep telling them to have a stroke (or just stop playing for a while) if they ever want to bring back a little of what got them into killing floor and held onto them.

Though IDK about you, but it doesn't matter how many times I play on biotics lab or wyre. Biolabs when I play alone still creeps me out no matter where I am and the red sky of Wyre makes me wince regardless of if people are with me.

Upvote 0
Though IDK about you, but it doesn't matter how many times I play on biotics lab or wyre. Biolabs when I play alone still creeps me out no matter where I am and the red sky of Wyre makes me wince regardless of if people are with me.

Oh, definitely, nothing like turning around to see a Fleshpound or Patty running at you like you had a one night stand with their girlfriends, or getting away from a giant pile of specimens with a sliver of health, only to have a Crawler jump at your face, scare the wits out of you, and kill you five seconds later.

Upvote 0
I agree with most of the OP. When KF was a mod, it was gritty, dark and just plain nerve racking with a very SLOW and deliberate pace. I remember back then when we were all newbs (not noobs) how some hated no crosshair and how freaking slow the game speed was vs Counter Strike or even UT2K4.

Game starts. You are dropped into a greatly gritty, dirty, almost hopeless environment. You run as alow as a grandmother lost without her walker. You hear the first mumble jumble of KF version 1.0s clots. It gets louder and louder. You then get your first glimps of the dirty ugly weird buggers from a distance. As it gets closer, since you are getting frustrated from running away at a such a hopelessly slow pace, you turn around to see this hideous low poly mutated specimen in your face and jump out of your skin the first them.

Then you unleash the first clip of your pistol, missing a lot due to no crosshair, then try to knife it to keep it from killing you. You succeed but then you hear the same mumble jumble gibberish again in the distance, 50 down on health, no ammo and wonder where to go hide or find ammo with the lightning flashes and hard rain coming down in the background of West London.

That was pretty scary for my first few go arounds. It was also scary in Bedlam's left start hallway when we saw the scrake and fleshpound come breaking down the door with an official whitelisted game and only 6 players on hard at wave 5.

I miss those creepy moments and due to explosive growth and events, we gave up whitelisted maps and colored up some of the old ones to accommodate more general players. I don't mind having new blood in the game, we need it to keep it growing. But the while new zed and guns always need balancing, I feel the art direction has been cleaned up to make it available to a wider audience and losing that original edge that KF was known for.

Hence some of us do ask for darker, grittier textures, details, and ambiance and more gore to bring back that fear factor into the game. I'm glad the old KF mappack was ported. It gave the game the old school gritty survival horror feel and does keep us surprised or at least on the edge of being creeped out.

Maybe all we really need is a cosmetic pack with grittier textures and sounds to keep that ambiance for old school and mature players. For new or younger players, the game can just load up a more cartoon or neutral ambiance such as the circus or current KF skins for that audience. That is a win win in any case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try playing the "lights out" maps.

I played biotics lab lights out and when it started i was thinking of leaving...

But stayed, and it was good fun and scary we made it to patriarch on hard, then all died horribly.

I havent been playing that long, but what bothers me is some of the characters and weapon packs... just makes it a little comical, more that apoclytical war of the worlds with mutants.

Im not sure where steam punk fits in exactly, it is cool, but dosnt quite fit.

Hillybilly horror is out of sorts too.

Having the RO2 skins and rising storm skins is not too bad...but not quite as beleiveable as a prisoner or a buckingham palace guard. or that money money dude.

Game was more scary when i started...now ive played enough im not scared.

Only time now is when i spend too much time in the shop decking my self out as demo and have to find my way back to the group on hospital horrors...
Reminds me of this:
Family Guy - Fast Animals, SLOW CHILDREN! - HD - YouTube

Upvote 0
Scary?

Scary?

I've seen some people on the TWI's forums complaining about how Killing Floor has gone from being terrifying and brilliantly scary to silly and almost nonsensical. However, I'm posting to talk about fear and that, while the ambiance of Killing Floor hasn't stayed the same throughout its current life, it certainly has lost any terror that it originally had.

First, let's look at fear itself. To start off, if you have read the Harry Potter series, then you'll probably remember this quote from Dumbledore:
"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more."

For some reason, this quote rang out loud to me, and fairly recently did I realize that this is because of how much sense it makes when it comes to actual fear: we fear what we don't know, aren't certain of, or otherwise don't understand (though I'm not sure if everybody else in the world learns this early, since I've never really thought about it before). This is most noticeable when we think about why we fear or are otherwise scared of things that range from the undiscovered animals in the dark deep blues of the sea we have yet to explore, to the abnormal walk of the mentally impaired: Because we don't know or aren't certain about them.

Questions race through our minds when it comes to topics like this; for example, one might see a person pacing in an abnormal fashion while in a local grocery store. Immediately, most people that bare to notice the abnormal pace have at least this question race through their mind: Why are they walking like that? And that is because they aren't certain of what actually happened to impair their walk. Of course, the person might have just stubbed their toe or had their leg fall asleep and are trying to walk it off, but unless he tell people, then nobody knows that, and whether they'd like to admit it or not, the person that sees this experiences at least a small amount of fear.

Summary: We fear what we don't know.

-----------------------------------------------

Now, how does this translate to Killing Floor? Well, first off, Killing Floor is a "Survival Horror" game. Most (as in the ones that don't abuse jump scares to no end) creators of this type of games or other media know very well about fear, and both use and abuse it to make the experience scarier. How they pull this off is by putting those going through the experience in situations where they ask the most questions, which means that they become increasingly uncertain. Walking down a sunny road and spotting a random dog won't raise most questions other than "Whose dog is that?" and "Will that dog attack me?", but walking down a dark, blood-laced hallway and coming upon a dog missing a leg and barking at seemingly nothing will certainly raise some questions, as well as some neckhair.

Killing Floor is a unique case, similar to that of Left 4 Dead. "B-B-B-UT KILLING FLOOR AND LEFT 4 DEAD ARENT THAT SIMILAR!!! THEYRE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES!!!!!" That is true. However, their fear comes from very similar situations, for the most part. When you first start the game, and begin your first playthrough, you may be anywhere incredibly fearful to prepared but still a bit frightened, depending on how experienced you are with the genre and how much research you did on the game. However, since it's the first playthrough, fear is guaranteed at some point, and this is because you don't know much of how the game works (even IF you did research on the game). This fear doesn't last through many more playthroughs, because you're learning more about how the game works, and are using that knowledge to answer the initially raised questions. That little black crawling bugger isn't as scary when you learn that he only leaps very close to you, the giant, silly-sounding chainsaw wielding git doesn't fare very well to constantly being wacked with a samurai sword, and that giant ****** with mincers for arms isn't as scary when he's being pumped full of AA12 rounds. This also translates to how far through you're in, as you only start out with a peashooter, giving a very fair balance of uncertainty pertaining to whether or not you'll survive at any point (it isn't uncommon to be surrounded on wave 1 and immediately offed if you aren't a seasoned veteran or are going up to a tougher difficulty), especially notable during the Patriarch, who is still pretty hard to win against even if your team is experienced. Basically, Killing Floor has situations where you're able to answer the questions, moreso than, say, Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

The only way that Tripwire Interactive could possibly make the game scarier for older and vastly experienced players would be to release a new specimen that has an incredibly strange but still terrifying appearance as well as a completely random attack pattern, and not make any mention of it whatsoever. This would raise the most questions out of any other addition to the game, short of one of the developers being brutally murdered, with a note on his mutilated corpse reading "FLESH. POOOUUUUUUUUUNNNDDD."

"The game isn't as scary as it once was" is true in essence, but only from your point of view. Plus, walking through a low-gravity spaceship and turning to see this is just as scary, if not scarier, as walking through a brightly lit london and spotting a Gorefast for the first time would be.

In Conclusion: Yes, Killing Floor isn't as scary anymore for you, and yes, the vibe it gives off isn't as dark and gritty as it used to be. However, the scare factor is completely dependent on YOUR experience, and has very little to do with how old the game is, or how TWI tweaks the ambiance of the game by adding new events with strange-looking specimens.

To be honest with you I didn't think the game was scary at all, it just focuses on tension and suspense. The only thing I would say is scary is you playing single player and your 9 waves in and there is two fleshpounds after you, but at times that not even scary especially if your playing with all high rank players and your able to blow away a scrake with two shots of a double barrel shotgun or one shot a fleshpound in the head with a 50 caliber rifle. Oh and also there is a mod that brings back the original killing floor specimens and weapons. It's fun and it is scary on darker levels but that's assuming it doesn't crash ( since killing floor was updated it crashes my game every time)

Last edited:
Upvote 0