• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Fallout: New Vegas

Playing PC, never had anything like that happen to me.

And the guy is complaining about things that were in Fallout 3's PC version as well as NV.

Hardcore mode isn't like he describes, you can only go without sleep for like 2 days before it starts having negative effects, and you'll need water and food long before that. You also can't just chug food and stims down in a fight, the timers they run on don't stack up and you will get gunned down.

Dehydration also comes dynamically depending on how long you're in the wasteland.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are bugs but nothing that will hurt your enjoyment of the game.

Some of them can be funny.

Bethesda always likes to do a handful of large patches over a long amount of time instead of hotfixes every week. So if something happens to be seriously wrong and the community hasn't nailed it down yet, you'll have to just roll with the punches until something official is done.

TBH I have found "bugs" here and there, and sometimes they are a bit like "what were they thinking, I could fix this myself" but it's never something that will make the game crash or cause me to stop playing out of disgust.

But what can you expect with such a huge game? I've clocked 60 hours with my time off since release and there is still a mountain of things to do.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Upvote 0
but it's never something that will make the game crash

Don't be to sure, just like Fo3, New Vegas is apparently very fickle about what hardware it likes, some people have barely any problems at all, for others it can be a crash fest.

I haven't bought the game (yet), so that's just what i hear, but i know it was painfully true of Fo3, because my rig was one of thouse it liked crashing on.

Upvote 0
Don't be to sure, just like Fo3, New Vegas is apparently very fickle about what hardware it likes, some people have barely any problems at all, for others it can be a crash fest.

Lots of people say bad things about successful games.

I might have had maybe one or two crashes, and they were partly my fault due to using new mods.

It's nothing like Fallout 3 or Oblivion where you'll get a crash every time you exit the game or do something it doesn't like.

Upvote 0
Lots of people say bad things about successful games.

I might have had maybe one or two crashes, and they were partly my fault due to using new mods.

It's nothing like Fallout 3 or Oblivion where you'll get a crash every time you exit the game or do something it doesn't like.

Lots of people had no problems with Fo3 crashing either, some only got crashes with an obvious trigger (like it allways happening upon exit, or going near a certain spot in the world), and then others had unexplainable intermittant crashes that could strike at any time, and for some the game woulden't run at all.

The point here, is that the last game did not perform predictably, for some it worked fine and for others it didn't, so saying "but it works for me" isen't saying much at all, it's no garuentee it will work on someone elses system, not if it's anything like the last game.

Upvote 0
Just completed it.

The bugs, well there were quite a few. Objects and creatures falling through the floor, seemed most evident with rad scorpions at the beginning. The paths for some NPCs were broken, walking into a wall non stop etc. Some of the quests were bugged, the Vault 11 bug had me go back to a save a few hours before which was annoying. Voices not matching the persons face, white people with a black persons voice and a young people with old voices.

The end seemed a bit sloppy/rushed, I like the option of choices but it left a few huhh moments in logic, claiming I had done things I hadn't. It's far to easy to level quickly, I reached level 30 very quickly making the rest of the game pretty easy. e Obviously some quests were meant to be tackled early and when I did them it was a cake walk. Sometimes my followers would vanish or get stuck in scenery, the only way to get them back was to fast travel. Annoying if you've walked a distance to get to a big fight and have to fast travel back rather than fight alone.

Now apart from all that I thought it was far superior to Fallout 3. The writing in general, quests, NPCs and general atmosphere whilst not perfect felt closer to the original series than F3 was. I liked the numerous small references to the older games.

Upvote 0
Yeah one of the worst problems has to be when you go into an underwater section of a vault and your follower gets stuck in the walls.

Eventually he will pop out of it but it's a pain in the *** when it happens.

Also disappointing is how the Strip was divided so as not to bog down consoles. There are 2 barriers that serve no purpose but to separate loaded NPCs. The entire Strip is loaded at full detail no matter which section you're in. In the preview videos it's easy to see how wide open the Strip was, it actually felt like the interior of the city.

I think they did the same thing with Freeside and possibly even West Side. If you look there are barriers in the streets, but using TCL to float above them shows an almost full detail scene behind it.

One of the quests actually shows how it was split up. When working for the King you have to hire a bodyguard, and while he's talking mid-sentence as you go through Freeside, he has to head through a load barrier and the whole sentence is cut off. Afterward his talking is delayed as if you should have heard what he was saying without any delays.

If I can figure it out I'll try to mod it so it's all wide open like it should be, but I'm guessing a lot of the NPCs are stuck in their respective zones.

Upvote 0

I must have been lucky. Only 4 or so crashes in 90 hours of gameplay in Fo3/addons.

I guess I will wait until Christmas... maybe Steam will have a sale. :D

Or maybe I'll just wait until it hits $20 at the local store and just play it when it has a bunch of patches...

I guess I still have to buy ArmA 2 gold.

Upvote 0
The invisible walls on hills are RIDICULOUS. In Oblivion you could just look for strands of grass and make your way up the highest mountain. In this game, there are invisible walls that impede your way even though you could EASILY navigate the terrain. Its absolutely ridiculous. It makes some routes impossible. For instance, trying to get to a location on foot, there was an obvious easy way to get there, by fast traveling to one near it. But when I get there, I am greeted with about ten deathclaws in my face. So I go to another area to go another route and only way is to go over a hill. I actually get STUCK in invisible walls on one part while navigating, forcing me to forget about trying to get to the location I wanted to. That's just stupid.

I hear there's a mod out for PC that gets rid of the stupid things. Too bad that does me no good :/

Upvote 0
I had one hell of a good time with this game. Only bugs I encountered was a) rad-scorpions buried in the ground & b) the great khan quest was bugged c) towards the end of the game some Legion missionary would follow me through the Strip and start a conversation, but it just kept zooming in and out and no dialogue showed up so I had to blow his brains out.

Reactions: Jono
Upvote 0
A lot of thouse are engine bugs that where also in Oblivion and Fo3, like the rubber limbs ragdoll spassout, things and NPC's falling through the floors and such.

I really hope this is the last game they make on this engine, it's just.. it's not good, and the franchise deserves something better than this, they are fun games, and it's a shame they are hampered by stuff like this.

Upvote 0
A lot of thouse are engine bugs that where also in Oblivion and Fo3, like the rubber limbs ragdoll spassout, things and NPC's falling through the floors and such.

I really hope this is the last game they make on this engine, it's just.. it's not good, and the franchise deserves something better than this, they are fun games, and it's a shame they are hampered by stuff like this.
Well I certainly hope for Elder Scrolls V to be on a new bethesda next-gen engine, but there's one problem -> XBOX360/PS3. I doubt we're gonna see any real technological jumps forward til the next console generation arrives, unfortunately.

Upvote 0
A great game, or rather it would be if it wasn't for the bugs. First off, I have to alt tab out of the game, bring up the task manager and set the priority for the process to high. If I don't, the sound lags terribly to the point it's fairly unplayable. If you ask me, this is a pretty major bug in itself... but at least I can work around that one.

The main issue I have is just well.. crashes. I got a good 20 hours or so of gameplay with very few crashes. But I find myself crashing more and more as I progress, now to the point it's getting unplayable. I haven't changed anything, and I don't believe there has been a patch out in the space of those few days. So this means it's likely linked to the play time on the character.

I'd start a new one to see if that keeps crashing, but frankly if that is the cause of the problem... there is little incentive to play. Why play a game you can never get more than half way through?

I know it's not technically a bethsoft game, but they do have a terribad history regarding game engines. Morrowind, great game, terrible engine. Oblivion, great game, terrible engine. Fallout 3, great game, terrible engine.... think I'm noticing a pattern here :p

Upvote 0