• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Fallout: New Vegas

The main issue I have is just well.. crashes. I got a good 20 hours or so of gameplay with very few crashes. But I find myself crashing more and more as I progress, now to the point it's getting unplayable. I haven't changed anything, and I don't believe there has been a patch out in the space of those few days. So this means it's likely linked to the play time on the character.

Ohh crud, that's what i was afraid of, because the same thing plagued Fo3, and is why i'm not playing that anymore.

I think it's a matter of engine bugs and glitches that just get stacked as you play, it starts out small with the little things, but the more you play, the more glitches you encounter, and the more unstable the game runs, till finally, it just becomes a crash fest.

My last save in Fo3 will allways crash about 7 minutes after loading the game, regardless of what i do in thouse 7 minutes, doesen't matter, aprox 7 minutes goes by and the game pulls the plug on itself.. it didn't start out anywhere near that bad, i could play it for houers before a crash then, but the more you play, the worse it gets.

Upvote 0
It always seems that the people who typically have problems are going to have problems.

My last save in Fo3 will allways crash about 7 minutes after loading the game, regardless of what i do in thouse 7 minutes, doesen't matter, aprox 7 minutes goes by and the game pulls the plug on itself.. it didn't start out anywhere near that bad, i could play it for houers before a crash then, but the more you play, the worse it gets.

This actually used to happen to me with my new video card. Updating video drivers never fixed anything for me before until I tried it with that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I started playing with the newest patch and so far the only bug I've encountered is a Powder Ganger buried up to his waist in geometry shooting at bloatflies incredibly far away yelling "COME ON!" Other than that, nothing in 5 or so hours of playtime.

I can't really put a finger on it, but for some reason I find exploration much more rewarding in this than in FO3, which bored me rather quickly (in fact, I uninstalled with about 5 hours into it). This game is a ton of fun, though I really should have started on Very Hard. It's simply cake otherwise, assuming you know where to put your points. I'm probably going to start all over again, this time with a ninja who specializes in sneak, unarmed, speech and lockpicking, or a guy in power armor with energy weapons.

Upvote 0
It always seems that the people who typically have problems are going to have problems.

And on the 8'th day of May, the world will be crushed by Narcoleptic Bacon.

This actually used to happen to me with my new video card. Updating video drivers never fixed anything for me before until I tried it with that.

Tried it with what exactly?

Upvote 0
This time I actually have a mid-game save in case there's any DLC coming out :p Was the opposite with FO3, so I didn't get to play the awesome DLC(well I read that Operation Anchorage and another one were pretty damn average not to say boring, but the other 3 were very awesome, again from what I heard/read and of course I still don't like the idea of paying 50

Upvote 0
Ohh crud, that's what i was afraid of, because the same thing plagued Fo3, and is why i'm not playing that anymore.

The thing is Fallout 3 was fine for me, even after huge amounts of time in the same character. It only started crashing when I installed a rather huge mod (FOOK2), and even then it didn't crash enough to really bother me. And even when it did crash, it was simple enough to restart the game and everything worked fine.

New Vegas on the other hand, often locks the OS up when it does crash. Or failing that it constantly crashes trying to load save games after I restart the game, until I reboot. Basically amounting to the same as locking the OS up anyway :(

Lulz, it seems it's not even the length of the character that has broken it. I went to start a new game, it crashed while leaving the SPECIAL stats pick bit. I tried again, it locked up within a few seconds, not even enough time for the doc to start talking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I think it's a matter of engine bugs and glitches that just get stacked as you play, it starts out small with the little things, but the more you play, the more glitches you encounter, and the more unstable the game runs, till finally, it just becomes a crash fest.

That happens for me with load times. THe longer I play, the longer the load times are when the load screen comes up. It eventually gets so bad that I have to restart the console and then the process restarts :/

Also, water is completely bulletproof. Go ahead, try to shoot a lakelurk who's head is poking out of the water. Will not do any damage. :|

Upvote 0
Even when you can clearly see your target right below the surface of the water? And even if so, it still doesn't excuse being unable to hit the tip of the heads of Lakelurks when they're in the water when said body part is clearly above the surface.

Vagrantsit.jpg

He's very proud of his deeds. And yes, that's Grecks at the top of the pile. he got pwn3d by a thug attack.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I realized you don't have to worry much about funds if you have any repair skill. You can just buy what you need and kill the merchant for your caps, since you don't need people to repair your gear. I save my caps for bribes since my guy is a misanthrope.

Never realized you had to be a muscle man to fire a hunting rifle, that's pretty wild. I better start working on my upper body strength so I can shoot my Mosin well. :rolleyes:

Anyone else really wish Mr. RAD-ical was available as a companion?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
? You only need a strength of 6 (also the weight of the rifle) to fire it. If 5 is average, 6 is above average. Not like you can't use it effectively if you're 1 strength too below. It fires .308 rounds so it has a hell of a kick. But nothing too severe and I don't think the game takes kick into account with strength requirements. So you don't have to be strong at all to use it effectively.

Upvote 0
Well the patch didn't solve my problem. But I had a PC upgrade planned.. and on the new machine it runs with everything maxed out, and very few crashes. A few random CTD's, but nothing more than I'd expect given the amount of time I've played it for now it doesn't crash. I just hope it doesn't start randomly crashing out at some point in the future like it did on the old pc ;)

Upvote 0
Now that I have 50 hours of play under my belt, I can tell you this is one of the best RPGs I've ever played, up there with Deus Ex and Mass Effect 2. I am a bit biased though, as I almost never play RPGs that aren't a shooter hybrid or twitch based. Dice rolls bore me.

Beat the game on very hard hardcore with a brawler type of character specializing in melee weapons, energy weapons, and science for the drug recipes and energy ammo conversion (YCS/186 was my backup gun). However, I was able to max out every skill that matters by the end of the game because I started with 10 intelligence and got educated and comprehension ASAP. Didn't use VATS even once, which allowed me to dump agility and luck to 1, along with charisma, which is so boostable it's stupid to invest in even if you like talking.

The named super sledge Oh, Baby! in combination with every non-AP related drug in the game made even the legendary deathclaw cake to take in melee. Just used a stealth boy, psycho, med-x, slasher (the damage reduction from med-x and slasher stacks), and a couple doses of turbo (which is like an instant win button in melee if you have the chemist perk). One hit each of them with sneak attacks then knocked down the legendary deathclaw with Super Slam! perk (it's almost OP) from behind, allowing my companions to crush him at their leisure. With this build I was able to stroll through the Legion fort and kill Caeser without trying, the only thing they had that could penetrate my T-51b armor were unarmed weapons, which don't work very well against a melee char with Stonewall and Unstoppable Force.

In conclusion, VATS sucks and this game is more fun if you don't use it.

Upvote 0