• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Electronic Arts need killing and their building demolished

I'm personally convinced that steam is doing "stuff" on my computer like this.

I check my network status all the time, and whenever I'm running steam, there's always information going in and out. Turn off steam, and the communication stops. I don't have any other "spyware" installed.

Steam is definately doing things I don't want it to do on my PC.

As for EA, I don't think I'll be buying a game from them ever again. (Not like I was going to anyway). I wonder if there's any way for the gaming community to tell them to go to hell, other than just not buying their product.
Steam will be doing a number of things, including intermittent checks for updates, as well as the whole friends network thing, letting the Steam servers know if you are online/offline, so that it can be reflected in your friends' Steam session. Probably also doing intermittent authorisation checks to make sure you are only logged in the once. To the best of our knowledge it isn't doing anything more sinister than that!

As an aside: please don't advocate murder and arson on our forums. It really isn't nice, however much you may be troubled by EA's tactics. Please be very British about it (just like me) and move your views on EA from considering them to be "a little bit off", to "really not being too sporting here, old man" :)

Upvote 0
yes and it's just a taste to come in my opinion.

EA are gonna dominate the industry in the near future. Complete monopoly.

Just dont buy/support any game they make, and play stuff by companies that are good. There are plenty of companies out there that make games because that's what they love to do, and in the wake of that they make GREAT games. And then there are companies that make what the flavor of the month is, and just make the same game with little or no support or effort to make it a great work of art. It's not EA's fault that people buy the stuff they make, they are just doing their job, and making money.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unfortunately for you guys, BF2142 is so much better gameplay-wise than BF2, it has already attracted tons of players.

Or how about unfortunate for the people who actually bought it. Do you really think half of them know what they put in their PC before they did it.

Fortunately for me, I know at least one game company I trust software from.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately for you guys, BF2142 is so much better gameplay-wise than BF2, it has already attracted tons of players.

Depends on taste...

I like bf2 better because its Present time warfare with weapons that I can name...

My opinion on the matter.

It is not that I love to blast EA... it is that EA loves to give me reasons to make fun of them.

EA can make fantastic games.
They will know exactly what most people wish to see in a game and do it...
For example

Modern Warfare with vehicles (due to desert combat mod success)
Futuristic warfare with mechs and "Titans"
Insane racing with cops (Most Wanted)
insane destruction racing (Burnout Series)
Easy Weapon blasting that requires 5 headshots to kill a man (BLACK)
The latest Command and Conquer series were different from westwood... but not all that bad... I loved Zero Hour

However, they will always find a way to somehow kill the game and piss people off

BF2... we all know it has a LONG list if issues including insulting support.
2142.... Spyware included
Most Wanted... poor multiplayer without cops ??
Black... No multiplayer witch could have been really fun

C&C WindowsXP Compatible.... No effort what so ever... no multiplayer... just make dos games compatible... and SELL IT without any effort...
(start => Run => config.nt => at the end change files=40 to files=120 and below add buffers=40 and voila... you can run dos programs...)

EA could be very good if they would take more time and quit the BS strategies and rush jobs....

I give my money to those who deserve it... not those who insult me with lack of support for their games...

They still do the occasional good game...
-Burnout series is great
-Most wanted single player was really fun
-Generals was decent...

-Sports... I dont know... I think they are good at it... (probably has their entertaining issues too)
Edit (rumers say its always the same game with little patches)

EA did something stupid... Spyware in a game... and charging 50$ for it... they are going to lose lots of money.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
EA is now covering their asses for the inevitable legal assfark:

http://forums.easports.com/mboards/...eadID=133500&lkey=RTS20gdYFpyRIF4PCmaMVAAAKDw

Greetings,

We would like to provide more information on in-game advertising in Battlefield 2142. To try and help everyone better understand it, here is how it works.

The in- game advertisement is respectful of players' privacy: it never accesses files not directly related to the game, and it does not capture personal data such as cookies, account login detail, gameplay behaviour or surfing history. As it is an integrated part of Battlefield 2142 and not a separate program, it only runs when the game is running.

Because BF2142 delivers ads by region, the IP address of the player is used to determine the region of the player and helps serve ads by region and language; for instance, a player in Paris will be presented with ads in French. Note that this IP address is not stored on the advertisement server and is not repurposed for other uses.

A unique ID number is anonymously assigned the first time the player joins a Battlefield 2142 online game. It is stored locally on the PC but is not linked to any personal details.

The in-game advertisement gathers what we call

Upvote 0