• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Early SDK content release

Hypno Toad

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2008
Standing behind you
I realize this may be a difficult request, but assuming the RS release will be some time after the HOS release, is there any chance of an *early* SDK content release?

By SDK content, I mean making an initial release of (only) the models and textures you use to make your maps, so people can start creating their own maps in the UDK before the RS official release and have them virtually done before RS actually comes out.

Last edited:
Well that depends on how far the mod team is with their progress, we don't know much about the # of planned maps, or exactly how much content this handpicked modteam is going to supply us with. I know tons of people would love to mod for RO2, and just the same amount for RS.

To put it in quicker terms:

I think we should wait until they release a bit more info before asking such a generous offer. Although it would be pretty damn awesome to get our hands on some RS stuff, I think we should wait.

RS is acting like RO2 in their earlier stages of development, quiet and cautious ^_^

Upvote 0
I realize this may be a difficult request, but assuming the RS release will be some time after the HOS release, is there any chance of an *early* SDK content release?

By SDK content, I mean making an initial release of (only) the models and textures you use to make your maps, so people can start creating their own maps in the UDK before the RS official release and have them virtually done before RS actually comes out.

You mean give someone a chance to relase their mod of our mod before we release our own?! :eek:

;):D

Upvote 0
i think its enough that twi did it. the fact that a mod team has to prepare there sdk so other people can use it takes time so do you want them throwing out sdk or making the game your pick. :)

I didnt say making an SDK, I said releasing SDK content. You'd be working out of the UDK, not the RO SDK.

Releasing sdk content would be simplistic just in terms of execution because all it is is raw files, but most people are wary of releasing content prior to the mods release, and rightfully so. That and RS may or may not be an expansion, and its for an unreleased game, etc.. so thats why its a suggestion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I didnt say making an SDK, I said releasing SDK content. You'd be working out of the UDK, not the RO SDK.

Releasing sdk content would be simplistic just in terms of execution because all it is is raw files, but most people are wary of releasing content prior to the mods release, and rightfully so. That and RS may or may not be an expansion, and its for an unreleased game, etc.. so thats why its a suggestion.

What? Giving away all the art source files for free? Is that what you're suggesting? :confused:

Upvote 0
I worded that incorrectly, Not the source files. Raw as in without any game code or maps, so nothing but meshes and textures, for the purpose of making maps and making maps only. IE: including the compiled tree, building, rock, and clutter static meshes and ground textures & materials so people can construct RS maps from the ground up without needing to replace thousands of placeholder meshes and materials later when the full mod and it's content is released.

By releasing the mod you'd technically be doing the same thing, just with all the stuff required to play the game itself. That is, once again, assuming that the mod is free. If it's going retail I guess this may be a whole other story. :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0