• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

EA confirms DICE Canada closure

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=20195

Electronic Arts has confirmed it has closed down Digital Illusions Canada, the Ontario-based division of DICE - the studio officially acquired by EA only days ago.
Speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz EA's communications boss Tiffany Steckler confirmed the closure, and that staff from the studio were currently being considered for other positions within Electronic Arts.
"In Canada we have three locations - Burnaby, Vancouver and Montreal - so we didn't need a development studio in Ontario," she revealed.
"Many of the staff from that office are now being interviewed for positions at either EA Canada or elsewhere and the work that was being undertaken at Ontario will now be transferred to Stockholm, back to the Digital Illusions team in Sweden," she added.
EA Canada employs over 1000 staff at its Vancouver studio, where it develops some of its leading franchises including Fight Night, FIFA, SSX and Need for Speed.
Electronic Arts announced on Monday that it had completed its acquisition of the Battlefield developer, after a courtship that began in 2004.

Translation from EA speak:

"Well, people with good ideas clearly are a danger to us. So instead of just being a publisher and letting them do what they want, we decided to give them the choice of either getting wiped out or playing by our rules. You know, to quell the whole 'evil EA empire' bit *insert canned chuckle here*"

Upvote 0
This should hardly be a surprise to anyone - and do you really think EA will keep the development facilities open in Sweden, where the costs are a LOT higher than they are in US/Canada?? It doesn't have anything to do with "fear of talent" - it is accountants' "fear of cost" :)

Edit: actually, I am annoyed - I lost a bet here. I said they'd close Sweden first. Damn. I owe someone in Gotland a beer...

Upvote 0
This should hardly be a surprise to anyone - and do you really think EA will keep the development facilities open in Sweden, where the costs are a LOT higher than they are in US/Canada?? It doesn't have anything to do with "fear of talent" - it is accountants' "fear of cost" :)

Edit: actually, I am annoyed - I lost a bet here. I said they'd close Sweden first. Damn. I owe someone in Gotland a beer...

you dont think they will keep sweden open, isnt that where BF1942 and BF2 came out of.

As for the Canadian team they can always try to move in with UBI, they have a nice Montreal operation.

Upvote 0
i agree to that, e.g the new bf 2142 demo, its nice, but it feels awfully rushed

It feels like Battlefield 2 with futuristic equipment. This is absolutely typical of EA. They make a game we all love (BF1942) and then they make a franchise out of it and milk it to the point where everyone is sick of it. This is what we can expect all the time when EA take over the industry.

Upvote 0
Omg , soon EA will own everthing they will buy out supermarkets and clothes shops and we will be buying EA products from everyone.

The clothes will fit wrong (one sleeve or pantleg longer than the other, etc.) and seams will split at odd moments. Their clothing will need to be patched monthly for at least a year and a half before they begin to fit even close to right, and the seam splitting will still happen occaisionally...

Upvote 0