• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Dual Handcannons and Sharpshooter

Soulie

May 16, 2009
Does anyone know for sure if dual handcannons actually get the bonus from the sharpshooter perk?

I ask this since they don't give headshot kills but DO give shotgun damage. I finally managed lvl 5 sharpshooter yesterday and have been playing around. They don't seem THAT powerful and if they do get extra damage then maybe they don't get enough?

Another thing is the ammo- it runs out way too fast. You should get at least a few extra clips if not double as they are alot less accurate than the single hc.

Only use i've found for the crossbow is shooting FPs in the body for low dps kills. Imo it should kill an fp in 3 shots to the head in normal with lvl 5 sharp.

*Btw the lvl 5 "spawn with weapon" still doesn't work when you join a server mid-game unless you join during shop time.

The problem is that this isn't described anywhere, so the natural thing for people to assume is that dual Handcannons ends the same way as a single one - after all, it's just one more Handcannon. It's a little confusing for those intently watching their perk progress (Hey, I'm a Commando, don't look at me like that).

And, really, shotgun damage? I realize they're not the most accurate things in the world, but where did that come from?

Upvote 0
Although I doubt a sharpshooter would be the kind of guy to run around blasting his deagles particularly with fragile little wrists. It's understandable why you would only gain the bonus for the single deagle.

By that measure no one should be going around blasting Double Deagles, though. :) However, having already lambasted someone for criticising the game's realism while shooting a guy with a chainsaw or chaingun for an arm, I'll resist the urge and just suggest as a Sharpshooter, I'd love to get credit for headshots with my DDEagles, given it's harder. :D

Oh, yes, and someone needs to add the option of Double Shotguns at some point. Believe me, probably easier to justify on a realism level than DDeagles. Besides, how f-in' cool would firing DShotties look?

(The Rule of Cool should be a distinguishing marker of the Killing Floor expansions ...)

Upvote 0
Although I doubt a sharpshooter would be the kind of guy to run around blasting his deagles particularly with fragile little wrists. It's understandable why you would only gain the bonus for the single deagle.
And it's understandable why the LAW would count towards shotgun damage, because after all a rocket launcher is just a shotgun.

Upvote 0
Even if it is not a bug that the LAW does contribute to shotgun damage I still think it makes more sense than the dualies situation. The support guy should be called heavy weapons guy because essentially he is the guy who brings in the big damage. A law and a shotgun fall neatly into this "Heavy weapons guy" catagory whereas the dual handcannons do not fit well into the sharpshooter class. In my opinion even a single handcannon would not be the sidearm of choice for "Long range shooter guy" but I will not complain about that as it helps a lot towards sharpshooter level 4 >.< The dualies in my opinion are more suited to heavy weapons guy. When you are wielding two big *** pistols you are opting for power and not long range accuracy.

Now I fear some gun nuts will come and rip my argument to shreds.

Upvote 0
Even if it is not a bug that the LAW does contribute to shotgun damage I still think it makes more sense than the dualies situation. The support guy should be called heavy weapons guy because essentially he is the guy who brings in the big damage. A law and a shotgun fall neatly into this "Heavy weapons guy" catagory whereas the dual handcannons do not fit well into the sharpshooter class. In my opinion even a single handcannon would not be the sidearm of choice for "Long range shooter guy" but I will not complain about that as it helps a lot towards sharpshooter level 4 >.< The dualies in my opinion are more suited to heavy weapons guy. When you are wielding two big *** pistols you are opting for power and not long range accuracy.

Now I fear some gun nuts will come and rip my argument to shreds.

Well if support were to be better with every powerful gun then everyone would just use it alone and no other perk.

I say, either the crossbow needs a buff or the handcannons need to be more accurate for sharpshooters.

Upvote 0
Yes support is overpowered, thats not the point I am trying to make. I do not want to see everything nerfed but rather things added to the sharpshooter class not involving dual handcannons :D

Overall, game design turns out better when the word "nerf" is cast aside like old specimen bits and when something seems to be "too powerful," other things are built up to match its ability.

Basic assumption: One of the reasons we play games is to feel powerful and capable. That doesn't diminish challenge but enhances it, as it is far more rewarding to feel as though you can take on a difficult situation with skill and talent and then do so, whereas if you fail you say "It's within my ability!" and get back in there. Being stuck in the "well, at least we all equally suck" bucket is really just not fun, and fun is the point.

At this point in the life-cycle of KF, I think there's a general consensus that Support is very powerful. It is an extremely flexible class with applications in almost every situation, and the bonii just make it moreso. Now, while I might champion a bit of tightening on their omni-capable scope, I certainly would hate to nerf them as a whole. While buffing other classes will be more work overall in terms of man-hour investment, it'll turn out a better game overall.

(In particular, IMHO, the Commando needs some heftier compensation for having to hunt invisible things and get kill-shots on them all! In team-play, that just cripples his sense of accomplishment from aiding the team. It would be easy enough to change the terms of his leveling requirements and improve things vastly: Insteak of "kill X Stalkers" change it to "do damage to X Stalkers" or "do damage to X Stalkers." Now the seeing and the high rate of fire / fanning that the Bullpup does is integral to their improvement, and game-play guides each class toward doing something different.)

Upvote 0
Same here, there's no precise aiming with dual Handcannons which defies the entire point of being a sharpshooter.

Maybe you don't.

Sharpshooter should count for anything that fires single bullets. Seriously why not the 9mm? Am i not suppose to be using it for headshotting? Or the Bullpup? It has a semi-automatic mode after all.

Just because the 2 Deagles are slightly apart doesn't mean i MUST fire them insanely fast in the stereotype American way. Tbh i'd be more likely to hit the damn targets judging when the targets head is in the middle of the 2 guns when i can see it instead of behind the gun for 1 cannon.

Upvote 0
In my opinion the lever action rifle is a terrible weapon when you play on skilled or harder. It would be cool if you could attach a makeshift scope to it or something and then maybe it would even things out a little. In games where teamwork is so essential I tend to hate the sniper guys who hang back whilst your *** is being handed to you by a fleshpound.

Upvote 0