• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

DP-28 Balance

Agreed, DP-28 is nice as it is.

No, no it is not. The gunner can currently only carry somewhat above half the total ammunition load of a belt-fed MG34 currently (282 rounds vs 500 rounds). That issue needs to be changed because it puts the DP gunner at an artificial disadvantage.

Also the DT is not a COD balance, it was a weapon that often found its way into infantry use because soldiers salvaged them from KOed tanks. It would make a fine upgrade for a weapon that is literally the only primary weapon in game without an upgrade. It is far more preferable to Russians using the MG34.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, no it is not. The gunner can currently only carry somewhat above half the total ammunition load of a belt-fed MG34 currently (282 rounds vs 500 rounds). That issue needs to be changed because it puts the DP gunner at an artificial disadvantage.

Whats easier to carry, 1 box off ammunition with a belt or 12 steel Frisbees?

Upvote 0

Also the DT is not a COD balance, it was a weapon that often found its way into infantry use because soldiers salvaged them from KOed tanks. It would make a fine upgrade for a weapon that is literally the only primary weapon in game without an upgrade. It is far more preferable to Russians using the MG34.

Q + Mouse 1 = "Give me ammo!"

The limitation is not artificial - it is historic and present. Come to terms with the fact that the DP-28 is an inferior machine gun and work with it from there. As someone earlier in this post said, "If you cannot win as the soviets....you are an idiot." Perhaps a bit too sharp-tongued, but his point remains. I use the DP-28 as often as the Mosin in-game, and its perfectly fine. The catch is the shortage of ammunition.

I have the luxury of the fact that I always play with someone on my friends list who is in a VOIP program with me, so ammo is fast in coming. This isn't an issue of the game, its the gamers. To get a random to give you ammunition is like pulling teeth. They either don't hear you, are to pre-occupied or are killed en route to aiding you.

Really people... balance should be the last thing on your mind. Try developing some tactics to make the best of what you have. Or buy Call of Duty - that works too.

As for the complaints about recoil, here's my suggestions (a) fire in shorter bursts and thus conserve the drum mag even more, making your weapon that much more effective or (b) drop the bloody MG and pick up a rifle because its just not happening.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Even heroes use the DP.

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
Whats easier to carry, 1 box off ammunition with a belt or 12 steel Frisbees?

Neither is easier to carry than the other, both are incredibly improbably ammo loads. 250 rounds in a belt is around 4 meters in length, it is a huge stretch already in game to have the MG34 belted with that load, let alone having the gunner carry another 4 meter belt.

Do you know how many times you would have to wrap 4 meters of belting around your torso to not trip over it? Even if it was in a box, how does one hold a box in one hand and a 27 pound MG with a 250 round belt (at least 8 additional pounds) wraped around it in the other? How does that person come into action as quickly as the gunner in game does? It may have been possible if the MG34 had a top mounted sling like the Bren or BAR did which assisted in walking fire, the MG34 (and MG42) have a bottom mounted sling which is of absolutely no use in action because the gun hands upside down.

It is not that the DP28 should have more ammo, the MG34 needs less, starting with a smaller belt. MG34 max ammo should be around 300 rounds at most, either 2x150 round belts or more realsitically 3x 100 round belt (because a 100 round belt can be kept from dragging on the ground without resorting to wraping the belt around the gun or yourself).

If you want to see what 250 rounds look like:
bullets3.JPG

Notice the 50 round belt alone (minus the pully thing) is about 3/4ths the length of the 1 meter long K98.

The limitation is not artificial - it is historic and present. Come to terms with the fact that the DP-28 is an inferior machine gun and work with it from there.

Again, it is not historical, a gunner did not carry 500 rounds on himself and move and react like the MG34 gunner in game does. He could not reload as quickly, he could not raise and fire as quickly, especially if that additional 250 rounds is in a box (because the rounds in the box are not evne linked into a single belt).

And I don't need to be told how to use the DP, I have a confortable 3 k/d ratio with it and routinely get 40-50 kills a map with the weapon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Had a fabulous round today being a Russian machine gunner on Grain Elevator, found some good spots and surprised the hell out of the German team. I find there's nothing wrong with the DP-28, just got to apply it to the correct situations, ambush and laying down deployed fire in corridors (Large recoil means at least one bullet will hit what you were trying to aim at xd ).

Upvote 0
Cwivey: you will learn to love the DP28, I can double tap the trigger for 2 shot kills at 150m + all the time. One more than one occasion I have been called a bot or a hacker and was actually kicked from a server because of my kills. I actually think the DP28 may need to be nerfed as I find the MG34 hard to hit things with at ranges beyond 100m consistently.

Upvote 0
DO28 is fine to me. Wokelly nails it regarding the MG34 ammo though. That's realism and balance :D

500 rounds is ammo count fit for a king. You're not running around the battle with that, you're parked in good cover with a good fire lane. It's not infinite or even long lasting if you have poor fire discipline, but its far too much to be trotting around with.

Upvote 0
Historically, the DP was but in game it seems to be opposite.

It is and it isen't. From the bipod, it's obvious that the MG-34's accuracy has been nerfed, whereas the DP-28's accuracy seems realistic enough (though they both suffer from to much recoil when deployed). So yes, at longer ranges the MG-34 becomes to hard to use deployed, it's accuracy isen't good enough.

But when Rambo'd from the hip, it's a compleately different story, here the DP-28 is an absolute pig, it's recoil patterns and accuracy seems horrible and utterly random, to the point of making it useless, whereas the MG-34 becomes Ares incarnate from the hip, it's the best SMG of the game!

Yeah.. pretty sad, i know, but that is none the less how it works out in the game, it's how it was coded.

But the issue goes beyond the MG-34 or even it's ammo supply, if Ro2 was to have realistic MG's and still maintain a working asymetrical balance, quite a bit would need to be changed.

First of all, Rambo'ing with MG's needs to go, this is not how an MG is supposed to be used, and it's hardly realistic or historically accurate to see people employ them as SMG's.

The MG's need to work propperly from the Bipod, this means reducing the recoil a lot on both of them when deployed, and making the MG-34 a lot more accurate.

Saddlemag and 2x 250 round belts needs to go, replace them instead with 3x 100 round belts, or maybe 2x 150 rounders (but the 100 rounders is more in keeping with typical period loadouts), and reloading needs to be made realistic, reloading a belt in the game now is allmost instantanious, and that is just silly.

This should make both the MG's much better at their intended roles, whilst allowing the MG-34 it's historically accurate superiority due to both higher ROF and magcapacity, but not to the silly degree of giving it a whoping 500 rounds..

But it will also create a new problem! If german MG superiority becomes propperly reflected in the game, then we've got a team-balance issue in the making, as it would leave the Soviets allmost toothless.

The problem here is that the Soviets are supposed to have the better assault classes, but they do not, due to the nerfing of the PPSh-41 at low levels, and the inclusion of the MP-40/II and MKb-42 Prototypes for the germans at high levels to balance out the PPSh, the Soviets have no real advantage here, debatably they might even have the opposite.

The obvious solution there is to not nerf the PPSh, and to not include the prototypes.

Let the Germans have the best MG, and let the Soviets have the best trenchbroom, and i belive things would balance themselves out quite nicely, whilst also upping the realism of the game and diferentiating the teams.

But there i go again on my whimsical flights of fancy, because that won't be happening..

Upvote 0
This. Also the superior reliability, stabler firing platform, lower single shot recoil, fire selector, higher muzzle velocity, flatter trajectory, and long range retention of kinetic energy. But hey.

I gotta say that in reality the MP40 is a more stable gun platform, and the single shot recoil I find the same. As for long range retention of kinetic energy, the 9x19mm wins, the 85 grain 7.62mm bullet has a BC of around .115 G1, whilst the 124 grain 9mm bullet edges out at .166 G1.

For CQC I even find the MP40 superior because of it's pistol grip and collapsable buttstock. It's simply much easier to wield effectively indoors.

Upvote 0
What can we do to the DP-28 to make it balanced with the MG-34?

What historically accurate unlocks could buff it enough to be an equally good choice?

Can't really think of any they didn't really play around much with that gun. I think the best upgrade for DP would be ammo capacity. @ level 25 you carry 1-2 extra clips, @ lvl 50 you get 1-2 more. so maxed out you could have 5-7 clips of ammo as you spawn. Is it the greatest idea? maybe not, but would I call it fair and balanced? yeah =)

Upvote 0