• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Do you care about the progression system?

Do you care about the progression system?

• Yes, I would mind. The progression system is very important for me

Votes: 89 33.5%
  • I don't care if it would be removed or not

Votes: 52 19.5%
  • No, I wouldn't mind if the progression system was removed its not important for me

Votes: 125 47.0%

• Total voters
The progression system is not good for gameplay or realism. It gives experienced players an added and unnecessary advantage against the less-experienced. It totally removes any incentive to recognize which sounds are produced by which weapon. It removes any incentive to not use a foreign weapon which might cause an ally to mistake you as an enemy.

At the very least, if we have a progression system, it should only give players more "different" unlocks rather than "better" ones. The COD games aimed to be fun rather than realistic, so they only gave "different" upgrades (such as a suppressor, or foregrip, or laser sight) rather than "better" ones (permanently reduced recoil, permanently reduced sway) as a reward for levelling up.

I think people who play a game just to fill up bars should just stick to RPGs, not semi-realistic WWII shooters.

Upvote 0
The point with the thread is to see how many people that like/dislike the idea regarding a unlock system.

Your question should have been "Do you care about the progession system", with the possible answers being "yes", "no", "other". The current wording of the answers isn't going to be productive since it is mainly confusing with 2 answers being the same and posing no alternative between love it or hate it.

Upvote 0
It's only a handful of people that seem to think it's needed to constantly open new topics about this. It's getting a bit boring seriously.
Also the poll is just horrible, polls need to be more neutral, to the point and less hidden bias. For example:

Question: What do you think about the progression system in realism mode?
A. It's great, keep it!
B. It's good
C. I don't care
D. It's bad
E. I hate it, remove it!

Upvote 0
I'd hate it if it were removed from Realism; however I think it could be handled a LOT better -

• Sidegrades, not upgrades
It removes depth from the game if there's just a flat upgrade, and it sucks for newer players to have experienced players have "just better kit".

• Skill upgrades achieved through feats not grinds.
Getting achievements are fun and introduce exciting events and the like to gameplay; and can be used to reward savvy gameplay - just grinding out kills (often on bots) is just a chore.

• Faster level up
It's not fun being constantly on the back-foot compared to better players. With faster level-up you can lessen the gap faster and suck up the losses because you feel like you're making progress and earning your stripes. It's also not fun to be unable to level up a class / weapon because it's always full and you have to rely on a battlefield commission to grab it.

• Better heroic team-mate buffs
ATM it's awkward and not that clear about who's granting what buffs. Just a straight squad-wide buff giving squad-mates early access to higher tier weapon unlocks and performance levels would help simplify it.

• More content
ATM the variety, options, and choices are quite limited - which I suspect is why people are so ambivalent to the prospect of losing them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaizokubanou
Upvote 0
It's only a handful of people that seem to think it's needed to constantly open new topics about this. It's getting a bit boring seriously.
Also the poll is just horrible, polls need to be more neutral, to the point and less hidden bias. For example:

Question: What do you think about the progression system in realism mode?
A. It's great, keep it!
B. It's good
C. I don't care
D. It's bad
E. I hate it, remove it!

Nah. As the poll in this thread your poll also assumes that the progression system is a static entity, it is as it is, take it or leave it, which is very wrong. One could have the view that a progression system could be a positive, but it would be different from the current one. Thus you obviously need the "other" option as much as the OP does.

Upvote 0
The system is backwards anyways. Why do the guns become new the more you use them? And why do you start out running slow and then as you level up the gun you run faster HAHHa? Also once you get to honor lvl 99 and lvl 50 on the guns the system bugs out. I vote for removal, server option/and or a change in the way it works.

Upvote 0
Are you kidding me? The progression system is wonderful--it keeps the game new and rewards you for doing well. The effects of it are so minuscule that it doesn't give much of an advantage, but it is an incentive to play. Why on earth would I want to play the same game over and over again without any goal or change?

Go play classic mode and stop trying to ruin the game for the rest of us please.

Upvote 0
Nah. As the poll in this thread your poll also assumes that the progression system is a static entity, it is as it is, take it or leave it, which is very wrong. One could have the view that a progression system could be a positive, but it would be different from the current one. Thus you obviously need the "other" option as much as the OP does.

Not really, leaving "other" as a poll option would mean that it's not very clear what that "other" opinion would be based on the poll. It's better to state whether you like it or not, and supply a reponse with the possible arguments in this topic.

Upvote 0
I don't like it. Progression is way too slow.

In Call of Duty or Battelfield, you unlock something for nearly every round you play online. Especially when you are getting started.

I haven't unlocked anything in R02 after 108 hours. I'm still grinding my PPSH to level 25 so I can finally get the standard issue drum magazine in "realism" mode.

None of the other upgrades seem worth getting except maybe the MG34 ammo belt or the better scopes for the sniper rifles, but at the current rate, I will have stopped playing RO2 long before I unlock these things.

Upvote 0