• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Disable 64 player servers for the good of the community?

barakas

Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2009
Basically, where I am in the world there is 1 server that regularly has only players and no bots. I think this is the TWB server or it might be the [40-1] or maybe Old Gits, I can check for certain if anyone cares.

Anyway, usually there are a few other servers with about 10-15 players on it each, but the only one that is consistently full of players, a 64 player server

Not only do 64 player server not properly handle latency properly, but they soak up too many players from the other servers (since people don't want to play with bots).

It seems to me that many server owners won't continue to pay for a server if its barely half full most of the time.

Wouldn't it be better to limit servers to 50, or maybe 40 players for the time being so that we get:

A) More servers full of players

B) a better playing experience for those who actually are playing.

It seems to me nothing is going to push our already anaemic community over the edge than a poor choice of servers, and this would be an easy fix while the future patches and RO classic come and help rebuild the community.

I know limiting player choice is not well smiled upon, but fragmentation in the form of Realism/Arcade, Tanks/No tanks has already scattered much of the community, so I think its a sacrifice worth making for the time being.

Last edited:
Hmm its one way i suppose..me personally ive never liked the 64 player servers with the current maps, as they are just too small ,and 64 just feels to crowded with little room for maneuver/tactics beyond rush from spawn, and die..

With a 32 or 40 player server i find the game play much better and more suited to the maps we have.. just my opinion of course ;)

Upvote 0
no way.

64 is already a minimum for it to still resemble the intensity of stalingrads combat. anything less will make it feel less authentic.

besides, RO2 really should stay old-school and not go the way of lowering the player limits like so many dumbed-down multiplayer shooters have been doing in recent years.

Upvote 0
no way.

64 is already a minimum for it to still resemble the intensity of stalingrads combat. anything less will make it feel less authentic.

besides, RO2 really should stay old-school and not go the way of lowering the player limits like so many dumbed-down multiplayer shooters have been doing in recent years.

Sadly 90% of the 64 player servers are running on hardware that would struggle with 32 players :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

I'm not sure if it's an option for you, but I can't stress strongly enough, networking with the people you do find in servers with 10-15 players (or less). It's made a huge difference for my game experience with RO2.

When I played as a random in pub games, I had a good time playing to an extent. After I joined a few groups of RO2 players, I can consistently join or start a game and have more people from those groups join as the game progress. I haven't had 64 by any means, but 20-30 players is still a good game IMO.

I can see your reasoning regarding limiting server size, but I'd reverse that to you and say "Increase your player base". If your location prevents you from doing this, or it's something you've already done and had little success with, I mean no offense.

Good Luck.

Upvote 0
That's just too funny.

Furthermore, Red Orchestra began as a 32 player game. It was increased to 50 after the release of Ostfront, and to 64 for HOS. "Old school" is 32 players.
good to see i wasn't the only one to catch that. that was funny!:D

i tried a 64 player server this am, for the first time in a while. spartanovka for a bit, then station. i had to leave after five minutes of station. there was something just odd about playing. felt terribly laggy and i was getting kinda dizzy. fps was about 55 at all times, so i have no idea what it was. but i quit out of frustration. this was one of the popular servers. i'm not sure what people see in a 64 player server, myself.:confused:

Upvote 0
sounds like the problem is bots...not 64 man server. Don't know about the rest of you.

But I browse RO2 servers because I want to play.

See the one server full

say ok, lets join another server with players

click show info, and only 2 people on(meaning bots)

Close server browser and do/play something else.

I want to play RO2. I'm sure there more people out there.

Bots are killing this game. It's one of the reason I stoped playing CS:source, I HATE!!! joining servers with bots..I HATE joining servers that I have to download 500 things to join.

No clue why people have turned all there servers to have bots, I know you pay for it and you want people to play and you can do what ever you want...but when ALL servers do it you kill the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Start your own server then. Don't run any bots. If what you say is true, it'll be like in the movie "Field of Dreams", build it and they will come. Problem solved.

The problem is not the bots. Its the people that can't be arsed to find a server that is close to them and to spend 10 minutes 'seeding' it.

We've had our server set with 8 bots and I can't tell you how many times 15 people joined in 10 minutes. 12 of them left within one minute of getting there because it had bots. Had they waited, all of the bots would have been gone and the server full of players.

No, imo, its the A.D.D that seems to pervade the FPS player's of today. Put forth just a little effort each day, and you could be a part of the solution and not the problem.

Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
Seeding never works. People rather wait 10 minutes spamming join on a full 64p server than join a 2-3 player server and wait for 2 hours.

"Start your own server" has been a joke from the start. We bought a server for the launch of RO2 and no matter what we did, it never had more than 3 players for the %99 of the time. Only once we could fill up the server and that was because we were the first one to update our server after a massive client update. There were NEVER enough player base to fill the servers, and we scrapped the server after 2 months. 100€'s down the drain for nothing.

I agree 64 players are hurting the community. They do since they were introduced in Ostfront. They immediately killed the 32 player servers, the number RO played at the best, turned the gameplay into travesty.

And now people would rather play on laggy 64p servers and then come to forums whining about lag and "hit detection bug", are they aware they have like 100 extra ping? Some do, but playing on a 64p is much cooler than having a better experience in say 48p or 32p.

Upvote 0