• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Directing my Server IP address and port to a subdomain of my registered domain?

Gimpymoo

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
I have a shared hosting package.

My host have said they can setup a redirect for me but asked:

Normally you would create an A record to point to 89.238.163.143 so the URL would be hlsw://mydomain.domain.com:7757 - would this be ok?

The only other way would be an HTML redirect which may work if the hlsw protocol is registered on the client PC.

I have no idea.

I asked them create it as an A record but this dont seem to work.

Help.

Thanks.

The usual format most server admin are using is simply:

http://www.domain_name.com/map_folder_location/ or the ip address equivelant.

You need to place a forward slash at the end of this entry as in the example. It's not necessary to add a specific map folder as everything can be placed in the main directory, but if you do, the name can be anything you like.

Upvote 0
I misread the initial post. What's your ultimate goal with the subdomain redirect? Is it for stats, login, autojoin, or some other feature? Are you attempting to use the redirect with the hlsw server admin tool?

Does your webhost provider provide you with a domain name manager where you can set the ip address manually? If so, is it sophisticated enough for subdomain addresses?

Upvote 0
Yes, it does make sense.

Why not consider just providing your friends with the server i.p. address so they can manually add it to their in game favourites browser. It's a one time action that will remain there. All they need to do is a copy/paste as it's not necessary to write it in number by number. Post it on your website or make a Steam group where you can keep your server info updated.

They can also use the browser search to find your server, enter it, and then use the in game 'Add to favourites' tab to add it automatically.

What you're attempting to do displays great empathy towards your friends but there are already other methods that are just as convenient.

Upvote 0
Adding the A Record to your domain for the kf server ip should have done the trick, it will only make it easier to add to favorites though.

You could use dyndns which provides free dns redirection, and with that you can redirect the gameserver IP directly to a free or existing domain you may own.

It's not really going it that much easier in the long run or used often, and the only time that domain will be used is if someone is adding your server to their favorites manually, so it would be handy for new players trying to join your server that's for sure.

Upvote 0