• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Different reload speeds

Flogger23m

Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2009
Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but I think different reload speeds would be a nice addition to the game.

Depending on the stance your player is in, which is standing, crouching, or prone, the reload speeds could be different.

I would think that it would take a little longer to grab a magazine while prone than it is to grab one when you are standing.

Any thoughts? Anyone in the military have a lot of experience with this so that they can comment?

People don't choose their stances based on how fast their reload speeds are, they choose them due to the cover/mobility they provide. So why would we need different reload speeds if this would be one of the last things on peoples' minds when in an engagement? No one's going to sacrifice cover and a greater chance of survivability because they know that 2 minutes down the line, they will bolt their mosin .5 seconds faster because the devs said that they will pwn noobs better if they stick their heads out in the open like turkeys at Thanksgiving.

Upvote 0
People don't choose their stances based on how fast their reload speeds are, they choose them due to the cover/mobility they provide. So why would we need different reload speeds if this would be one of the last things on peoples' minds when in an engagement? No one's going to sacrifice cover and a greater chance of survivability because they know that 2 minutes down the line, they will bolt their mosin .5 seconds faster because the devs said that they will pwn noobs better if they stick their heads out in the open like turkeys at Thanksgiving.

Not to be rude, but I honestly have no idea what the hell you are talking about. :confused:

I do not even see how this is related to the topic in my original post.

Upvote 0
i don't think that stance would change the reload speed that much, if anything did it would probably be state of mind. Aka if you're in the middle of all hell breaking loose you'll try to reload faster than when nothing is happening at all.

Grabbing ammo from your pouches is pretty easy when prone as well you just perhaps have to roll aside slightly, it wouldnt give a noticable effect making the implementation worth it in my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i don't think that stance changes the reload speed that much, if anything did it would probably state of mind. Aka if you're in the middle of all hell breaking loose you'll try to reload faster than when nothing is happening at all.

Grabbing ammo from your pouches is pretty easy when prone as well you just perhaps have to roll aside slightly, it wouldnt give a noticable effect making the implementation worth it in my opinion.

This can be the case. Do you have any prone reloading experience?

Hopefully someone who does will come along and reply.

One thing to think about is how their gear was set up. I have no idea how the pouches were set up, but their location can really speed up or slow down reloads.

Upvote 0
Virtually no difference. Prone you may have to roll on your side to reach your magazines. If you're in an entrenchement and defending, you may even have had your magazines layed out in front of you. Standing, prone, whatever.

Too many other variable involved. It would depend more upon your weapon and your loadout (ie whatever else you're equipped with).

Upvote 0
I don't think we need people believing that they must get up or stand in order to reload faster.

Before long we would have people ignoring cover and clever tactics in favor of standing. Just for that speed bonus.

Exactly my though, my idea is that there is not enough difference for people to stand and reload. But enough so its noticeable.

I would say you use a 1/4 to 1/2 ( half sec i think is best) sec more getting the clip from the pouch while prone, normal reloading like in RO: OST after getting the clip. A little like reloading the saw in America

Upvote 0
Also the attachment animation of the bayonets ingame should be different as you simply can't get the rifle's business end down on face level as you're in prone stance. It looks like you can push the rifle butt through the surface. Weird! :eek:
But always remember changes in the 1st person animation and its speed must be accurate to the 3rd person one.

Faster reload in 1st person = faster reload in 3rd person

Otherwise we go again for you attacking players who are still reloading in 3rd person but are yet done in 1st. So they shoot you, totally strange for you. :(

Upvote 0
Personally, I'd like to see the reload speeds for the bolt action rifles sped up a bit. The animation has always looked to me like someone who was trying to do it while completely drunk. In real life, it's a much quicker process, and any soldier who has actually done it a couple of times wouldn't be fumbling that much to wedge it into the rifle.

Upvote 0
I think it's more important to be able to CANCEL reload by using the melee attack. Many a time I've just started reloading a rifle when an enemy runs around a corner, and all I can do is stand there like a retard fumbling in some rounds, when I could be trying to beat him or bayo him... so annoying.

Upvote 0