• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Did they remove firing mode toggle?

Sifer2

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2011
Just a question since the update I noticed some weapons don't seem to have firing mode toggle anymore. Specifically Command Rifles, and the Nailgun. Alt fire seems to just fire one shot instead. Is there an option to switch it back to how it was before? I play mostly on gamepad where alt fire is mapped to the shoulder button so it's awkward for that to be a primary firing button instead of a toggle.

They also remapped bash to mashing in the right stick which I think is probably a bit weird for Berserker if you use your weapons bash attack often. To me the pre update mapping was better all I wanted was sprint to be toggled by holding down the Jump button for a second.

Just a question since the update I noticed some weapons don't seem to have firing mode toggle anymore. Specifically Command Rifles, and the Nailgun. Alt fire seems to just fire one shot instead. Is there an option to switch it back to how it was before? I play mostly on gamepad where alt fire is mapped to the shoulder button so it's awkward for that to be a primary firing button instead of a toggle.

Actually... we did this on purpose *ducks behind his desk*. This is specially only for controllers. We thought that for new players picking up a controller having some weapons instantly use the key (e.g. medic, melee) and some not (e.g. commando) was inconsistent and unintuitive. R1 makes a better fire key than MiddleMouseButton IMHO so it made some sense to deviate from PC. If there is enough call for it we could revert the change or make it a option in the UI.

They also remapped bash to mashing in the right stick which I think is probably a bit weird for Berserker if you use your weapons bash attack often.

Also intentional. The idea came up in a discussion in this thread: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=113686. In addition to freeing up a face button for use/weld this allows for right stick aiming with melee which to me was an improvement (berserker or not). Along with the change above we felt this was slightly more consistent with other main stream console shooters. That said we now have a system for adding controller presets. If anyone has a custom preset they really enjoy feel free to share it and who knows maybe it will get added to the game.

Upvote 0
Actually... we did this on purpose *ducks behind his desk*. This is specially only for controllers. We thought that for new players picking up a controller having some weapons instantly use the key (e.g. medic, melee) and some not (e.g. commando) was inconsistent and unintuitive. R1 makes a better fire key than MiddleMouseButton IMHO so it made some sense to deviate from PC. If there is enough call for it we could revert the change or make it a option in the UI.

Ah I see. That explains the reasoning though I disagree since I find the trigger to be the most comfortable button for firing often. Just hitting the shoulder to toggle modes then using the trigger for firing felt better to me when going single fire commando for the first wave or two. Would be a nice option to add. And since you said you would like to hear suggestions for presets. Please add one where sprint toggle is mapped to holding down the Jump button for a second. Jumping button hardly gets much use, and I just personally hate clicking in the sticks.

Upvote 0
I had created a thread in the ideas and suggestions forum
link: [url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=117110[/URL]

To sum it up, I agree with op, playing the commando is very uncomfortable when using semi auto fire. The only reason I am re-posting is this thread has had a reply from staff, stating " If there is enough call for it we could revert the change or make it a option in the UI."

Please do.

Upvote 0
... To sum it up, I agree with op, playing the commando is very uncomfortable when using semi auto fire. The only reason I am re-posting is this thread has had a reply from staff, stating " If there is enough call for it we could revert the change or make it a option in the UI."

Roger that. We might let it sit a little while and gather feedback from experienced players and newbies alike. That way we can gauge if it should be an option at all and what the default should be. I'll make a note we should try and revisit this. I believe there is a config work around for anyone who really dislikes it.

... and I just personally hate clicking in the sticks.

Agreed 100% with this. However, what's worse is holding click on the sticks which is what happens with use/weld on R3. I also feel use/weld is a critical game function for all players, while melee bash is situational. In addition, melee is an aim sensitive function so my preference is to keep the thumbs on the sticks even though L3/R3 are not fantastic buttons. R3 melee is pretty common for console shooters. I do like R1 (Halo/Destiny), but with alt-fire that's not possible. That said I'm here to collect feedback not give it :) We're very interested in learning how these changes pan out in the community.

Upvote 0
We decided to revert the alt-fire change. It was supposed to make the controls more consistent, but not at the sacrifice of making it good. If someone is sad to see the change go we might consider making it an option, but so far the feedback is pretty unanimous. Expect to see the change in a patch soon.

Upvote 0