• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Day of Defeat: Source vs Red Orchestra

This decision largely depends on your gaming style and what you're looking for. You will have to play Red Orchestra for about a week before you really get comfortable with what you're doing. This game is very fun if you enjoy tactical games such as those in the Rainbow Six series (1-3, not 4 and 5). It requires a lot of thinking and strategy, and also you need to learn how to acquire targets in the iron sights like its a natural reflex. Basically if you want a good, challenging but not difficult game, go with RO.

Now for DoD:S. This game is very, very fast paced. Almost all the skill in this game is reliant on twitch reflexes and a good bit of cone-of-fire luck. I own DoD:S, and I can say that its very fun and I enjoy playing it at times. However, it is a lot more frustrating than RO. With such a large cone-of-fire on so many weapons, a lot of times you'll get the short end of the straw and have a bad game. There's also times where you'll be really lucky and go on a roll, getting 10 kills at a time. DoD:S is meant for the more casual gamer who plays every few days or so, because the game can easily get old. Most of the time you'll get into a rinse and repeat cycle of "run in, get 1 or 2 kills, die, respawn". So basically DoD:S has a bit less depth, and is still fun. I'd say get DoD:S if you only play on the comp occasionally, and don't like "thinker" games that much.

Upvote 0
If you wanna compare sheer content and developer support, then DoD Source is a joke. I used to be a HUGE DoD fan before it ported to source, clans, everything. Now the community is dying, and the developers are doing nothing. Just compare the main forums of DoD vs. RO. There you will see a community that is content with their game, and one that is constantly complaining but never being heard. There's nothing like shooting a guy multiple times with a rifle, then being hit by a lucky headshot from miles away with a thompson. COF FTL.

Edit: I'm not just some realism whore either. I love both RO and BF2, and any GOOD fps game that has more than 6 stock maps and non-atrocious gameplay. I loved 300 for instance, not expecting it to be a realistic movie. From a pure gamer's standpoint, stay away from DoD Source. If you want an arcadey WWII fps, then go with the old DoD or perhaps CoD.

Upvote 0
Yeah definantly go with DOD over DOD S, at this point I'd imagine a lot of DOD source players have reverted back to DOD. I LOOOOVED DOD, it is FAR superior to DOD Source, not sure why exactly, it just is, and it's free.

Free? Since when? It was listed on steam sometime sgo and it cost 9.75$ more or less.

EDIT: And OT- Since I bought RO I hardly play DoD, even though it runs much smoother on my machine.
DoD is a fun game and good for laughs (those ragdolls and the screams- its like playing with toy soldiers, and the way the germans fly from a bazooka hit, screamin with their teutonic accent- its hilarious) but RO is the real thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0