• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Convince me to buy this game.

Wurum

May 18, 2007
OK, I've been reading the forums and learning about the game and trying to decide if I should spend the money, as well as the time to get up the learning curve, and start playing this game.

And now that the update is out and it's 20% off on Steam, it's now or never. Give me the pros and cons. I've been playing DoD and DoD:S. Are the maps in RO that much bigger and open? Is the realism any higher?

Thanks in advance,

Wurum

And now that the update is out and it's 20% off on Steam, it's now or never. Give me the pros and cons. I've been playing DoD and DoD:S. Are the maps in RO that much bigger and open? Is the realism any higher?
The maps are much bigger overall. Although it depends on the type. Infantry maps are medium\medium-large, combined arms maps bigger, and tank maps are bigger still. There aren't really any 'small' maps, except maybe Entweichen, but that's rarely played.

As for the realism, I have to say it's the most realistic FPS I've ever played. Long ago in the deep dark past, I only played Call of Duty: United Offensive online. It was a fun game for it's time, but the best moments were always when you got playing with a few friends tearing the battlefield up together, coordinating your efforts. But these moments were precious few, because the problem was, unless you team up with friends, that kind of teamwork almost never happened. This was because most people were only interested in going lone wolf, doing whatever it takes to get lots of kills.

In Red Orchestra: Ostfront, great teamwork moments happen almost every time I play. In many ways RO forces it's players to act realistically. You move at a realistic speed (considering you're a WW2 infantryman carrying a load of gear), bunny-hopping simply doesn't work and if you get shot in a vital area, you're pretty much done for. There is no armor, there are no health packs, there is no ammo counter, there is no crosshair.

And you can't leap around corners, aim down the sight of your rifle and pop someone in the head while in mid-air, either. (*cough* CoD2). Careful aiming and clever movement win the day here.

Ballistics are properly modelled, meaning that a bullet's journey to it's target is not instantaneous, as it is in most other first-person shooters (see: hitscan), but exists in time. This means that over considerable distances you have to 'lead' moving targets to hit them. Ostfront also made a technical innovation when it was released, in that you can rest your weapon on the environment to steady it against the recoil. Window sills, doorframes, ridges, ledges... any solid object. Just like soldiers are trained to do in real life. All you have to do is find a solid object at the appropriate height and you'll automatically rest your weapon on it. It's an excellent, easy to use implementation of this feature.

Red Orchestra has nearly everything you could possibly wish for in a multiplayer WW2 shooter. Combat in all sorts of environments and at all sorts of ranges, tanks, apcs, artillery, bayonets, dozens of infantry weapons of all different types... And finally, in all my time playing I've only encountered one confirmed hacker.

Upvote 0
OK, I've been reading the forums and learning about the game and trying to decide if I should spend the money, as well as the time to get up the learning curve, and start playing this game.

Thanks in advance,

Wurum

buy it or you will burn in hell... need another reasons?

Upvote 0

Thanks in advance,

Wurum

Have you played dod_pier_b2? If you have, RO maps are twice as big as that. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Thank you MattyDienhoff for the detailed opinion. It helps.

Hit me up in xfire, or give me your steam account name, and i'll hook you up with a guest pass..It will let you download the full game and play it for a period of time =)

ITS FREE BTW :D

xfire: boredguy00

Will you be on xfire around 9:00 PM PST?

buy it or you will burn in hell... need another reasons?

You need Jesus

And...

It's 20 bucks.

Actually, it's $16 until June 11 if you buy it through Steam.

No Eddyz Aquila, I've never played do_pier_b2. Or if I have, I don't remember it. How about dod_hill_classic, that's the most open expansive map I can think of at the moment.

It's only $20 you cheap bastid. No convincing needed. :D

That's right I'm cheap. (character flaw)That's why my rig is nearly three years old without a single upgrade in that time.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
As you put it ...the learning curve is important...for the community that you become a part of this game cost near to nothing....fast flashy shooter,go elsewhere.
You wanna stick some time in.....you'll find the reward's are there,in the game itself plus many people that play the game....there's only them (ingame) but US who play the game ...as the many clans that support each other,this is another corner of the gaming world.Not a large famous corner but a functioning,comunative.....important corner......let EA do there thing...here aint it

see you around maybe

Upvote 0
When I first started playing RO back when it was a mod (3.3, bought UT for RO) my first experience was playing stalingrad, tracking a russian soldiers as he ran down the alley, unaware that I was watching him from the window. Just as he was about to turn the corner BAM, I bullet into his head, the blood streak across the wall behind him and the disbelief that I had actually been able to hit the target. Since then I have loved RO and ROOST. There is really nothing like hitting your mark in this this game, having to aim above the targets because of bullet drop, its just so much more rewarding. And when you do get those times when everyone is working together its like no other game out there. Not every server is like that so if you find one you like, stick with it.

The tank combat is also great, its not 100% realism but its a step up from every other game that has vehicles, instead of just trading shells like in BF or CODUO you have beat someone with a well placed shot, tactics and skill. It actually helps to read the tactics manual in the download section, it provides alot of into on tanks that applies in game as well. Look at it this way, RO is just over a year old and they have kept adding fixes, updates and content and plan to until next year. What other company has that kind of support, this kind of community and this great a game. Buy it
http://www.redorchestragame.com/index.php?categoryid=3&p13_sectionid=5&p13_fileid=18

Upvote 0
You said that you're rig is nearly 3 years old.

You should post specs and we will tell you if it runs it or not !

There is My personal Minimum requirement.

P4 2400mhz with 1 gig ram
P4 Celeron 2800Nhz MINIMUM.
AMD AthlonXP2400 @ 2.0Ghz with 1 gig ram
AMD Duron 2800
Any Videocard with a half decent GPU and MINIMUM 64mb ram will work.

This is for the game to be resonably playable.

Upvote 0
Get UT2004 and the 3.3 mod (the mod is free and UT is cheap)! Sorry couldn't resist but if you ever want a small (newb) friendly community you know where to go:) We ALWAYS welcome new players. hey maybe you might even see me online sometime if you get it ;) Another upside is you get 2 games for the price of one. Instead of just (a slightly better) RO you get UT and an older version of RO. BTW They were made b the same people.
*Slayer_2

Last edited:
Upvote 0