• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Convince me to buy this game.

Well, i could write you a 20 page novel on RO, and why i feel its is leaps and bounds ahead of DoD:S in both realism, replayability, quality and fun, but why bother when you can see it for yourself? go grab one of thouse guest passes, its free, and it lets you play the full game for 10 days, nothing i could say could possibly beat that! ;)

Upvote 0
Get UT2004 and the 3.3 mod (the mod is free and UT is cheap)! Sorry couldn't resist but if you ever want a small (newb) friendly community you know where to go:) We ALWAYS welcome new players. hey maybe you might even see me online sometime if you get it ;) Another upside is you get 2 games for the price of one. Instead of just (a slightly better) RO you get UT and an older version of RO. BTW They were made b the same people.
*Slayer_2

Alright Slayer, please don't turn this thread into a debate about the RO mod vs RO:OST. By saying "(a slightly better) RO" you're inviting an argument. Besides, I want to reward Trip Wire for working so hard and making the mod in the first place. If I buy UT2004 and get the mod for free, that can't happen.

Upvote 0
You said that you're rig is nearly 3 years old.

You should post specs and we will tell you if it runs it or not !

There is My personal Minimum requirement.

P4 2400mhz with 1 gig ram
P4 Celeron 2800Nhz MINIMUM.
AMD AthlonXP2400 @ 2.0Ghz with 1 gig ram
AMD Duron 2800
Any Videocard with a half decent GPU and MINIMUM 64mb ram will work.

This is for the game to be resonably playable.

Seeing how it's been almost three years since I built the rig, my memory may not serve so well.

AMD Athlon 2800+ (1.8Ghz)
ATI Radeon 9800 128MB
1 Gig RAM

that's the core anyway, I don't remember the MoBo specs.

It runs Source games decently enough.

Upvote 0
I bought it retail Im returning it. READ<-POOR QUALITY->

I bought it retail Im returning it. READ<-POOR QUALITY->

:mad::mad::mad:I dont know about the game quality, I guess if you can get it thru steam and make it work its good, just thought I would contribute though and share my experience today because I bought it retail, it has two discs install 1, and install 2. Both discs even though labeled correctly where install disc 2. I exchanged and install disc 1 and install disc 2 again both labeled correctly but this time the data on both discs are reveresed. So basically I'm returning the game even though I can make it work because if the production quality of a game like this cant even get their retail product to work correctly without recalling the game I can only imagine how much crap the people who actually play this game have to put up with via support, patches, admins etc. If you go out for lunch and buy a sandwich and it comes out spoiled or hard if your a nice guy you give them a chance to exchange it, but if you exchange it and it still comes out wrong and still tell others that place is a good spot for a lunch your just as big of an idiot.

Upvote 0
OK then what do you want me to say? RO OST is a lot better, the same, worse? I'm just saying that if he wants more games for like the same price and a more personal community RO mod is probably better. Oh and BTW TWI made OST because of the mod, without it they never would have won the MSU contest. I'm not trying to start WWIII here just pointing out some facts. About 20 people is the usually at about noon PST. from there it varies also different servers have different amounts. There are only about 3 live servers left. Which is probably why I'm trying to convince more people to come to the mod:p Also when the servers get to 25 people then things start to suck and everything turns into one big frag fest:mad: Also the mod works on Linux and macs which is why I like it better.
*slayer_2

Upvote 0
There are only about 3 live servers left. Which is probably why I'm trying to convince more people to come to the mod:p Also when the servers get to 25 people then things start to suck and everything turns into one big frag fest:mad:
*slayer_2

Wow, you really need to work on your sales pitch. But you bring up a good point about servers.

Now, I'm refering to RO:OST here, how is the net code? I live on the West coast. I saw a thread where some guy had put up a map through Google Earth that had the approximate locations of the servers. There were few on my side of the world (that being US West coast, not North America). I have a cable modem. Will I be able to find a decent selection of servers that would provide a good ping?

Upvote 0
Also, if you live in America, some Targets have Red Orchestra here on clearence for a mere 10 dollars.

No doubt, Red Orchestra gave me some of the most satisfying infantry combat experiences in a while. It never gets old to bayonet people, or put 30 rounds of lead into their body at point-blank range.

Tank combat... well... that is a different story entirely.

Upvote 0
Yeah Spaulding, you're really funny. :rolleyes:

Anyway, let me tell it to you like this: I am into realism in video games. I was in a Realism Unit in Day of Defeat (29th ID), and loved every minute of it. When I first played this game, I didn't like it. It's hard to kill people, the game runs slow (before I tweaked it), and tanks battles suck when you first start playing. Overall, it's not an easy game to get into.

Then I found the Collector's Edition at Target for $13. I was pretty happy to find it there for such a cheap price, so I picked it up, if nothing else I could always give it as a present of some kind. Overall, it was an excellent purchase. Sure, my ping isn't the greatest, but it is such a better experience for realism than Day of Defeat or Call of Duty. I got home and played around for a little bit, and being the noob that I was (and still am), I was killed constantly. After I had gotten used to the gameplay style, I found that it was a lot of fun.

Sure, the maps that are super large suck (in my opinion), but the infantry battles are very fun, and the ability that is required to play the game is high. You won't find accidental kills in this game. If you are looking for a great First Person Shooter that is heavy into realism, then this is your game. If you are looking for a game that is more into the "fun" aspect of playing, then you should look elsewhere. This isn't that type of game.

Also, I wouldn't worry to much about the performance of the game. As long as you customize your game, then you should be fine. ;)

EDIT: Forgot to include my computer specs:

AMD Athlon 3000+
GeForce FX 5200
512 MB of RAM

Last edited:
Upvote 0
lu31605 offered to give me a guest pass. Is a guest pass something i can "go grab" somewhere, or does someone have to give it to me?

OK, I have a guest pass now, I still need to redeem it, I'm at work now, so I can't do that.

I went to the "Distribution of Guest Passes" thread and aktionman gave me one of his.:)

So my cheap a** will be checking it out tonight for free!!

Upvote 0
Thank you MattyDienhoff for the detailed opinion. It helps.

Will you be on xfire around 9:00 PM PST?

Sorry mate i was gone in orlando for the day. I'll be on tomorrow.
Another guy cameron, asked me for a guest pass, I'll give you and him one.
Just add me to your xfire.

Edit: mmm'k look's like you already got one. Well i got 1 left anyways.

Upvote 0