• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Controlled zoom in Classic: yes? no?

Controlled zoom in Classic: yes? no?

• I like the current forced zoom in Classic

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I'd like to control the zoom in Classic (like in Realism)

Votes: 33 73.3%

• Total voters

M-A

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2011
The title says it all.

Biggest reason for me usually playing Realism is the forced zoom in Classic. It is horrible in close quarters and we have plenty of those in RO2 (and the answer to the problem is not to make new open maps since forced zoom is still horrible in close quarters like in Apartments which is played veeery much). You can also turn it off completely, but that's not very useful in longer distances.

There already is "unrealistic robocop" zoom in Classic, it is just much worse than in Realism due to uncontrollability. What's the point of making it forced?

My point of view is pretty clear. Controlled zoom in Classic, please. There must be people for the forced zoom since it was implemented, but why?

how is it forced zoom in comparison with realism? when you go to IS in realism it zooms and you have the option to zoom some more, in Classic the only thing different is the lack of additional, optional zoom.

What you want is the option to completely remove zoom from the game to be more like roost. Poll, imho, is misleading.
i voted no because I never use the extra zoom in realism, i find having to hold down and extra button while aiming extremely off-putting and generally guarantees that I miss.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
how is it forced zoom in comparison with realism? when you go to IS in realism it zooms and you have the option to zoom some more, in Classic the only thing different is the lack of additional, optional zoom.

What you want is the option to completely remove zoom from the game to be more like roost. Poll, imho, is misleading.

In both realism as classic you can manually remove the IS zoom with an ini setting. However in realism you can then still press shift key to get zoom for long range fighting.

In classic the shift button zoom functionality is removed, meaning that if you disable ironsight zoom you can never get any zoom at all.

----
Personally gameplay wise I prefer no zoom at all (it keeps the game moving forward, wether its realistic or not).

But since that will not happen I'm very glad there is at least reduced zoom in classic, however I do not want the game to zoom in when I'm fighting in close quarter combat. Similar at long range I would always prefer to zoom, even when sprinting.

Normally your eyes always see things with the exact same size, whether you are running, looking through iron sights, standing still or whatever. Which is why I hope it will be come possible to be able to see things at all the same sizes in hos. Especially since it will make the long range combat a bit more evolving, making people go for objectives a little bit more.

The IS fov of a rifle is about 40 degrees small, making you loose your perception of your surroundings.

Upvote 0

Poll is not misleading, since it is not about removing zoom. It is about do people want to control their zoom or are they happy with forced iron sights zoom.

Like Zetsumei explained, I have removed the forced zoom in the ini settings and thus cannot zoom at all in Classic since the zoom is not controllable. Forced zoom as a default setting that cannot be removed otherwise than tweaking ini files is something I really don't understand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm all in favour of reintroducing the zoom system from realism, though I strongly feel the zoom level needs to be reduced (maybe to around the level of the SMG zoom in classic right now?).

Until anything changes, I guess I'll keep shooting people in the face with a pistol because their FOV is too restricted to see me in the corner of the zoom ;)

Upvote 0
I'm totally for the re-implementation of controlable zoom. Frankly, I don't know why they changed it's configuration in realism mode either. It was fine the way it was.
There should be little to no zoom at all once a player hits I.S. and then have another key bound to zooming. This way it's optional whether people want to use it or not. In addition, you have better FOV for close quarters and mid range distances with out it. IMHO, the perspective of the weapon itself in IS is the most realistic without zoom (having more of the stock visible). This has become the most important one of a very few gripes that I have with the game at this point.

Upvote 0
I am all for controllable zoom if forced zoom is left in as an option. My problem with the shift zoom was simply that I didn't like pressing shift. The forced zoom gets rid of that aspect but it puts everyone in a weird situation in CQC (I know you can tweak it in Realism but I rarely play that).

What I actually would like to see is a quite advanced tool that lets you customize zoom settings per weapon/class. E.g. I do like my forced zoom of 1.9x (IIRC) when I use my Kar98k so that I don't have to press shift (I'm lazy). When I pick up an mp40 I would however like a base zoom of 1x since I probably won't use it at long ranges but if I do, I would like to be able to press shift and zoom to 1.9x. The base zoom could also be adjustable so that you could have anything between 1-1.9x as your base zoom. People could adjust the zoom to their personal preferences and this debate would probably be solved. :IS2:

I'm no coder but it sounds difficult to bind zoom settings to individual weapons but I thought I'd post it anyway.

Upvote 0
I am all for controllable zoom if forced zoom is left in as an option. My problem with the shift zoom was simply that I didn't like pressing shift. The forced zoom gets rid of that aspect but it puts everyone in a weird situation in CQC (I know you can tweak it in Realism but I rarely play that).

What I actually would like to see is a quite advanced tool that lets you customize zoom settings per weapon/class. E.g. I do like my forced zoom of 1.9x (IIRC) when I use my Kar98k so that I don't have to press shift (I'm lazy). When I pick up an mp40 I would however like a base zoom of 1x since I probably won't use it at long ranges but if I do, I would like to be able to press shift and zoom to 1.9x. The base zoom could also be adjustable so that you could have anything between 1-1.9x as your base zoom. People could adjust the zoom to their personal preferences and this debate would probably be solved. :IS2:

I'm no coder but it sounds difficult to bind zoom settings to individual weapons but I thought I'd post it anyway.

What you describe is already possible per weapon class: in the ROGame.ini there is a zoom level for: rifles, smgs and mgs.

Upvote 0
What I actually would like to see is a quite advanced tool that lets you customize zoom settings per weapon/class. E.g. I do like my forced zoom of 1.9x (IIRC) when I use my Kar98k so that I don't have to press shift (I'm lazy). When I pick up an mp40 I would however like a base zoom of 1x since I probably won't use it at long ranges but if I do, I would like to be able to press shift and zoom to 1.9x. --

You can customize zoom settings per weapon type (rifles, smgs, MGs) but it only works in Realism (and Action I suppose?). Zetsumei's guide for weapon type zoom value customisation (among other things) can be found here.

Upvote 0