• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Constructive Feedback On The Recently Implemented Changes to The Bullet Impact Sounds

As awesome as Dibbler's sound mod is with the sonic cracks I believe TWI didn't take this path for a reason. They realized the common casual players would wonder WTF was going on... lol. Regular people don't understand what that noise is... for bullets don't make those sounds in movies.

Probably going to have to stick with the mutator to get the true effect.

Upvote 0
As awesome as Dibbler's sound mod is with the sonic cracks I believe TWI didn't take this path for a reason. They realized the common casual players would wonder WTF was going on... lol. Regular people don't understand what that noise is... for bullets don't make those sounds in movies.

I have to disagree that this effect happens. I find that although a lot of new players ask questions regarding whether something is real or not (i.e. flamethrowers tanks not exploding when shot, bolt rifles reloading 2 bullets after 1 shot, etc), once they find out that it really is the truth through the chat channels, they applaud and are very impressed by it rather than being distasteful of it.

It could be built into the hint system as well. For example:

"Suppression
Incoming enemy fire suppresses your character making it harder to aim. You can tell if you are in danger by the sounds of the bullets passing by you. Whooshing sounds mean that bullets are passing very close by. Supersonic cracks mean that bullets are passing slightly further away.... etc"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

This exactly. Although realism sounds nice, not everything works in games.

Upvote 0
This exactly. Although realism sounds nice, not everything works in games.

Except we've seen it work in other games like ARMA and especially resistance and liberation. I think any player, casual or otherwise, enjoys an authentic feel of being shot at and suppression. Hell, if you look at popular series like Band of Brothers or the Pacific there's way more whizzes whooshes and impact noise than in RO2/RS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since I told you earlier I'd put it up if you got it working on a server, I'll see if I can get one up this weekend. I'll make a post when I do.

Thanks! :) I know ducky mentioned in a separate thread that it was working on his LAN, presumably using a dedi server on said network. I ran similar tests before I first released it. So everything should run smoothly. This may be the first 'live' test of the mutator that I've known about!

Upvote 0
Louder misses and impact sounds please! I still have trouble telling when I'm being shot at until its too late.

It'd be nice to have louder guns in third person too. Everytime I get gunned down by a machinegun on Iwo Jima I just don't hear it fire, or the bullets whizz past me. It'd be way more immersive if you could actually hear the machineguns firing on the beach.

Upvote 0