• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Constructive Feedback On The Recently Implemented Changes to The Bullet Impact Sounds

Thelionheart

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2012
I noticed in the latest patch that bullet impact sounds were made slightly louder. I was skeptical at first, thinking that I was hearing something I was not, so I asked DrGuppy in game (a Tripwire employee) and he confirmed that the bullet impact sounds indeed were changed last patch.

The changes to them are most definitely in the right direction and I applaud Tripwire for listening to the community and implementing suggestions such as this into their games. :) However, I believe that the sounds are still a bit too quiet and not noticeable enough, this can be seen in me not even knowing for sure if the changes were implemented without me asking a developer. The changes did not make me frightened of the bullets hitting near me, which I had hoped would happen, it only made me more aware of how many bullets were fired in my direction.

I strongly believe, and hope others do as well, that if the issues I have with the bullet impact sounds were to be addressed that firefights in both Rising Storm and Heroes of Stalingrad would be greatly improved. I believe that implementing the following changes would make suppression work better and would make people acutely aware of the amount of lead being shot at them. This awareness only helps the firefights because it makes the player aware of how many bullets are whizzing towards him and how intense the fight he is in really is.

List of suggested changes:
1. Increase the volume of bullet impacts even more. The changes implemented in the patch did not induce fear in me, they simply made me slightly more aware of their presence. Increasing the volume of them even more will more strongly communicate to the player that he or she should get down or get into cover. After all, having a loud noise is more frightening than a little pip.

2. Reduce fall off for the sound of bullet impacts. Currently their volume drop off is very fast and bullets hitting only 5 meters away sound like they are actually hitting around 15 meters away. Implementing this change will make suppressive fire more frightening by making the player more aware of how many bullets is being shot at him or her. Inaccurate fire should not necessarily be ignored, and as such the volume drop off should not be quite as harsh as it is currently. Additionally I think this change will also allow the player to more easily make informed decisions about how to respond to incoming fire. Close calls will be frightening, but ones that are farther away can be responded to by quickly popping out of cover. Finally this change will also more easily allow the player to recognize if teammates are under heavy fire or not.

Again, I applaud Tripwire for listening to the community and implementing popular suggestions from them. I love this game and want to see it get better. Hopefully Tripwire reads these suggestions and sees some merit in the feedback I have provided and considers to implement them in the game. :)

I noticed in the latest patch that bullet impact sounds were made slightly louder. I was skeptical at first, thinking that I was hearing something I was not, so I asked DrGuppy in game (a Tripwire employee) and he confirmed that the bullet impact sounds indeed were changed last patch.

The changes to them are most definitely in the right direction and I applaud Tripwire for listening to the community and implementing suggestions such as this into their games. :) However, I believe that the sounds are still a bit too quiet and not noticeable enough, this can be seen in me not even knowing for sure if the changes were implemented without me asking a developer. The changes did not make me frightened of the bullets hitting near me, which I had hoped would happen, it only made me more aware of how many bullets were fired in my direction.

I strongly believe, and hope others do as well, that if the issues I have with the bullet impact sounds were to be addressed that firefights in both Rising Storm and Heroes of Stalingrad would be greatly improved. I believe that implementing the following changes would make suppression work better and would make people acutely aware of the amount of lead being shot at them. This awareness only helps the firefights because it makes the player aware of how many bullets are whizzing towards him and how intense the fight he is in really is.

List of suggested changes:
1. Increase the volume of bullet impacts even more. The changes implemented in the patch did not induce fear in me, they simply made me slightly more aware of their presence. Increasing the volume of them even more will more strongly communicate to the player that he or she should get down or get into cover. After all, having a loud noise is more frightening than a little pip.

2. Reduce fall off for the sound of bullet impacts. Currently their volume drop off is very fast and bullets hitting only 5 meters away sound like they are actually hitting around 15 meters away. Implementing this change will make suppressive fire more frightening by making the player more aware of how many bullets is being shot at him or her. Inaccurate fire should not necessarily be ignored, and as such the volume drop off should not be quite as harsh as it is currently. Additionally I think this change will also allow the player to more easily make informed decisions about how to respond to incoming fire. Close calls will be frightening, but ones that are farther away can be responded to by quickly popping out of cover. Finally this change will also more easily allow the player to recognize if teammates are under heavy fire or not.

Again, I applaud Tripwire for listening to the community and implementing popular suggestions from them. I love this game and want to see it get better. Hopefully Tripwire reads these suggestions and sees some merit in the feedback I have provided and considers to implement them in the game. :)

I noticed this as well last night. I thought it may have changed. I think the supersonic crack should still be a bit louder and occur more frequently. Still though it's a step in the right direction. (btw dibbler67's mod is really going to fix this)

Upvote 0
Hopefully more people have noticed the change I mentioned now that it's been awhile.

If you watch the clip below containing gameplay from Red Orchestra Darkest Hour you will immediately notice how powerful the bullets sound. Compare that to the recently changed sounds in RO2 and the RO2 sounds still do not come anywhere close. It is my hope that Tripewire listens to this plea and officially implements this suggestion to a more substantial degree than what was previously done. I think I speak for most when I say that if the sounds in RO2 were similar to the bullet sounds in the video linked below that the firefights in RO2 and RS would be harrowing and adrenaline inducing experiences. Players would receive a massive spike in the amount of entertainment garnered from such intense sounding firefights.

If you feel the same way I do then please, respond to this thread so that Tripwire has a better idea of how many people support it.

Start at around 35 seconds

Video

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To be honest, I didn't even notice it. My hopes are for the sound mod that's being made right now. I want it to go way further and increase the sounds of guns in the distance by a ton too, completely changing the bullet whizzes and impact sounds to better ones (and maybe even some gun sounds, like the weak .30 cal).

It's a step in the right direction, but a lot more needs to be done. I think impacts and whizzes should be a lot louder still, and so should many of the guns (especially machineguns) when firing in third person.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
oh.. yeah, that sound mod was fantastic. Is it something you can download for yourself?

Yep, you can see our thread here: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=89956

It's a mutator that you can run clientside with bots, and if it's hosted on a server and you have the files it'll work too. It's a work in progress, and there's a lot more to it than just bullet cracks! We're adding period music for win/loss, new artillery effects (the original purpose of the mod), shrapnel effects, impacts, etc. You can get it on Steam Workshop. Be sure to check out some videos on there too!

Upvote 0