• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Commander's "Squad chat" should address only Squad Leaders

dwhee

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
We've all been in a game at some point where the TL was constantly asking for marks. It can get annoying when you're not a SL and you still have to listen to it. Why not utilize the unused "squad chat" channel for the TL and have it converse exclusively with the SLs?

There wouldn't be as simple a way to allow SLs to converse back on that channel. Their squad chat channels could be changed to include the TL. Their squadmates would hear a one-sided conversation- but that actually seems realistic!

We've all been in a game at some point where the TL was constantly asking for marks. It can get annoying when you're not a SL and you still have to listen to it. Why not utilize the unused "squad chat" channel for the TL and have it converse exclusively with the SLs?

There wouldn't be as simple a way to allow SLs to converse back on that channel. Their squad chat channels could be changed to include the TL. Their squadmates would hear a one-sided conversation- but that actually seems realistic!

Dwhee,
Commander is commander of all the squads, and not only of squad leaders.
Bad idea. So I disagree.

Upvote 0
Definitely should be implemented if it's not. I play a lot of commander and I'm actually not sure.

It isn't! And I wasn't sure either! I actually went into a game to test it as I was posting this thread.

ro2player said:
Dwhee,
Commander is commander of all the squads, and not only of squad leaders.
Bad idea. So I disagree.
Jpz38 Hetzer said:
I think most of the stuff the TL says is important to all members of the Team, except mabey "Mark arty", wich even then, people need to know Whats happening.

Team chat would still be available. Artillery is relevant to every member on the team when it's coming down, not so much when it's being marked. TL can use Squad chat to ask for marks, team chat to talk to the players.

Nothing would change unless the TL desired it. And it would keep chat channels open for tactical discussion, rather than one person giving an order to everyone when it's only relevant to 1/8 of the team.

Upvote 0
Team chat would still be available. Artillery is relevant to every member on the team when it's coming down, not so much when it's being marked. TL can use Squad chat to ask for marks, team chat to talk to the players.

Nothing would change unless the TL desired it. And it would keep chat channels open for tactical discussion, rather than one person giving an order to everyone when it's only relevant to 1/8 of the team.

Dwhee,
Your idea is an error.

An order is an order for everyone. Directly or indirectly.
Maybe you found boring this order of arty...but a good soldier found no any orders boring. A good soldier need to use what he sees and what he listens to fight as his TL want. So I think indirectly a good soldier can listen this order, and be ready and fight as his TL want. This will help to be ready during arty - even if he doesn't know where arty strikes.

TL doesn't call arty to do artyteamkill...TL call arty to help soldiers (and not only squad leader). A squad is a squad leader and soldiers. And a lot of players easily think squad either as a squad leader wihtout soldiers, or either as soldiers wihtout squad leader. So much time soldiers run into arty. Order of TL help soldiers (or should help) soldiers to understand arty will come soon. I think : If you remove this order of TL about arty, it will more teamkill by arty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dwhee,
I read you.

And you miss the point Team leader is leader of a Team. Same for squad leader. Squad leader is leader of a Squad. Arty mark is not tactical discussion : arty mark is an order.

So :
When a soldier can heard Team leader asking suqad leader for arty mark, he can makes himself ready to the assault who will come soon.

Cohesion of a team work with orders. And, Dwhee, any kind of orders. There are not orders in one side (what soldier like to do and to love to heard as orders ) and tactical discussion in another side (what soldier doesn't like to perform or to hate to heard as orders).

There are only orders...

I don't understand why people have such a hard-on for the player that is quickest to grab an important spot on the team. If you know what you're doing, you should say what needs to be said, regardless if you just have a bolt action rifle.

Y.O.B.A.
A squad works with soldiers, but not only.
Squad leader and Team leader are here to be not just another soldiers...
It's all the job inside squad and team who is important to perform who are link to SL and TL.
Squad leader and Team leader are task to perform it. Cohesion of squad is one of the tactic job. Understand that for a soldier - even doing a good job, here it's not the problem - it's too easy to break this cohesion.
Soldiers can use cohesion, but not as effective as with and by Squad leader and Team leader.

It's why orders of Squad leader and Team leader are important things.
Even arty orders and arty mark call.
When a soldier can heard Team leader asking squad leader for arty mark, he can make himself ready to the assault who will come soon.

No one fight alone...There is no good or bad players, there are only good or bad squad and team.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dwhee,
I read you.

Still highly doubtful of that. You really don't seem to grasp that nothing would change as a result of this. The TL would still be able to communicate with his team. But feel free to go on a tirade about how important teamwork is for no reason whatsoever.

The way that I'm quoting you now- that's the proper way to quote people. It's the part of the comment that I'm referencing. I didn't quote the rest of your comment because I know from experience it's just you repeating yourself and somehow still managing to be incomprehensible.

Upvote 0
You really don't seem to grasp that nothing would change as a result of this. The TL would still be able to communicate with his team.

Dwhee, I try to understand your idea...Who seems to be a bad idea.

I doubt to call it "communication". Or maybe you mean a restricted communication ? but it's still "communicate" ?

Communication is a link between soldiers, squad leader and commander in any event. (even when asking for artymark) There no sometime squad leader and commander in one side, and soldiers in another side - listening when they take time to listening or when they need.

NO.

-What is this kind of communication between squad leader and commander only ? Can we call it a team ? For you we can split a team in its communication. (For avoid to heard arty mark order) And next time it will be for this or this order you dislike ?

-What is this kind of communication who start from soldiers and not from Commander ? For you soldiers doesn't to bear order of arty mark of commander. Why a soldier should not bear this kind of orders ?
So soldier should choose what orders he loves and what orders he hates ?

JUST NO !

Communication is an important part in a team. Communication in a team is not Commander and squad leader only. (even for only one order...) Every orders must be listened by soldiers.

Soldiers must listen - and listen all kind of orders. A team need to listen and answer. And maybe more listen than answer.
Soldiers need to listen his commander. In any case : even during the ask of arty mark.

So I disagree, Dwhee.

Upvote 0
He reads, dwehe. From experience, he just fails at reading comprehension at times. Or perhaps he is not aware that there are public VOIP, team VOIP and squad VOIP options for ALL.

If the TL wants everyone on the team to hear his commands or requests, he can choose the Team VOIP channel. If he only wants to talk to the SL's(and/or wants to request something that only a SL can provide) then the TL can choose the Squad VOIP channel.

Or am I missing something?

When a platoon or squad leader conferred with the base via radio, the entire squad or platoon was not privy to the conversation. The squad or platoon had the information relayed to them via the platoon (or squad) leader. RO2 takes it a step further and already allows the TL to communicate with every team member. SL's (squad members) can currently converse only with their squads via the Squad VOIP channel or with their entire team with the Team VOIP Channel. Nothing would change except the TL could converse (one sided) with the SL's.

Upvote 0
If the TL wants everyone on the team to hear his commands or requests, he can choose the Team VOIP channel. If he only wants to talk to the SL's(and/or wants to request something that only a SL can provide) then the TL can choose the Squad VOIP channel.

Floyd,
Team channel is to talk to the team.
Squad channel is to talk to squad 1 (SL and soldiers) or squad 2, 3.
An order is given to a team or to a squad.

Dwhee want just a TL talk only to a SL without soldiers of the squad.

What want Dwhee it's an individualized channel. But channel is a way to play a team or a squad.

When a platoon or squad leader conferred with the base via radio, the entire squad or platoon was not privy to the conversation. The squad or platoon had the information relayed to them via the platoon (or squad) leader. RO2 takes it a step further and already allows the TL to communicate with every team member. SL's (squad members) can currently converse only with their squads via the Squad VOIP channel or with their entire team with the Team VOIP Channel. Nothing would change except the TL could converse (one sided) with the SL's.

Floyd,

Infantry squad didn't had a radio in each squad...A squad communicate with voice and silent signals.

By voice and signal, TL give orders. By voice and signal, SL give orders.
No radio was used...Soldiers repeated orders of SL when needed as SL repeated orders of TL when needed. No radio was used...

Maybe voice channel simulate voice of the Team leader and Squad leader.
But asking for a private channel between squad leader and team leader is just asking for a voice who was listening strangely by squad leader and not by soldiers.

So a selective voice ?? I didn't know German squad leader used a Walkie-talkie in Stalingrad...:D (And even with a Walkie-talkie, a soldier close to his squad leader can listen the communication between TL and his SL)

Last edited:
Upvote 0