• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Closed Beta Discussion

Skyrilla

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2012
The Shatcave
So the first round of beta invitations has officially commenced today! Not sure why it couldn't have been an actual week and be from Thursday to Thursday but I'm sure TWI have a good reason. Holler if you're one of the invitees! Let's talk about what we'd like to see, and what we've seen so far playing it. This is an open discussion, and please keep it civil!

3528972200000578-3637180-image-a-30_1465689579715.jpg

Skyrilla;n2278118 said:
So the first round of beta invitations has officially commenced today! Not sure why it couldn't have been an actual week and be from Thursday to Thursday but I'm sure TWI have a good reason. Holler if you're one of the invitees! Let's talk about what we'd like to see, and what we've seen so far playing it. This is an open discussion, and please keep it civil!
Just a few days at a time for lots of reasons, including that people can usually play a lot more at weekends; that we aren't looking for a bazillion bugs (yes, we know there are floating trees on corners of Song Be) - we are looking for feedback on game systems.

We're at the point where "dev blindness" is an issue - we KNOW how everything is supposed to work - and we play the way we KNOW it is supposed to be played. Now we need the input that says "but I don't understand xxx... " - the things we can no longer see, the things we are too used to/have accepted etc. Short time needed (3-4 days) so we can get those impressions, especially "new player" impressions.

Wish us luck - and please be constructive :)

Reactions: SoFGR1
Upvote 0
Gervaise Brook-Hampster;n2278131 said:
Closed beta also means that the full release is not too far away now - early 2017 maybe!
Yes I'm pretty sure TWI had said they'd be looking at a Q1 2017 release. Hopefully around my birthday in February but we'll see. It can wait as long as it means good quality.
[TW said:
Wilsonam;n2278145]Now we need the input that says "but I don't understand xxx... " - the things we can no longer see, the things we are too used to/have accepted etc. Short time needed (3-4 days) so we can get those impressions, especially "new player" impressions. Wish us luck - and please be constructive :)
Ah yes I totally understand that, I've worked on projects before and I know how that feels. I'm sure the feedback will be great. I just wonder how many of these are going to be done. Maybe another round of invitations in a few weeks after this first one's done?
ValentinBk;n2278146 said:
Just activated my key, looking forward to trying it out!
Aw shame, I haven't received anything so far. I was kind of hoping it was due to time zones, but it seems I'm unlucky. I'll be looking at my inbox a few times still but if I haven't received a key before midnight Eastern then I'm afraid I'm out of the first round. Have fun!

Upvote 0
Hey guys. I was invited and I love this so far. I have 1100 hours on RO2 and about the same on RO1.

I bring positive and negative criticisms:

Positive:
-GUI is a great improvement
-great squad system
-maps are big and the scenarios are convincing
-bullet cracking sounds are great. I've never been in combat, but I pulled pits in the Marines and bullets cracking overhead sound like the game
-weapon choices are great and there's a lot of room for growth
- weapon power seems realistic
-RPG rocket speed is just right -- it isn't exaggerated or slowed down for cinematic effect

Negative:
-No key assignment to toggle iron sights
-problem switching graphic settings and restarting (Bug report submitted)
-some weapons still need some visual work
-the M14 reloading animation is wrong (I have a Springfield M1A I can validate this claim with, along with military instructional films)
-M16 long range site setting uses incorrect sight (I have an actual M16A1 upper receiver I used to compare)
-F-4 Phantom strikes should be more realistic: you should occasionally hear them off in the distance as they would "circle" designated points while on call IRL, at the speed they are flying at (looks like 400 kts) the players should begin hearing them close many seconds before bomb release (I worked around close air support jets for 4 years)

What I'd like to see:
- Weapon rack numbers: if you can give your guy tattoos and rip his trousers, you might as well go the extra mile and allow for custom rack numbers to be placed on stocks of US rifles
IMG_1602-1.jpg

FAWin2.jpg

- Maps where air support isn't guaranteed: when rolling from map to map, there should be a *chance* that air support will/will not be available -- this keeps it interesting for the Communists
- Weapons: early Army and USMC units used M1 Garands, the Army trialed with STG-44s, and the VC used Mosin Nagant M44 carbines
- VC units (NOT NVA) painted their weapons black and removed cleaning rods. The black paint should be optional
- ARVN forces :some of the most intense battles were between the ARVN and Communist forces -- some of these battles were even between ARVN and the 2nd Marine Division near Da Nang!
- Khe Sahn 1968: Marines vs VNA with a 20% chance of an available B-52 strike limited to being called around certain distinct land features
- Ap Bac 1963: US advisers oversaw ARVN units assault a VC village. ARVN used M113 armored vehicles and had US weapons, but became disorganized and driven away by a much smaller force. This is THE battle that led the US to believe it needed to prepare for an active military role in South Vietnam
- Hue 1968: Seven point six-two millimeter, Full Metal Jacket.... 'nuff said (if it's here already I haven't played it)
- Embassy 1968: Tet Offensive hits Saigon
- At the rifle range, place targets out to 500 yards

Ciao!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
U.S. TL seems a little strong. Just finished a game on Cu Chi where he used napalm to clear the A building, then arty on C I think, with a gunship right after the arty was finished. Maybe there can be a delay, or if there is, maybe a longer delay between the abilities.

Maybe have a small compass on screen so you don't need to press T, but I think that's not a major thing, but it could be nice.

Upvote 0
Dudes, even with good TL and a working helicopters dropping people behind enemy lines, US lost like 2-3 matches on Song Be.
"Weapons: early Army and USMC units used M1 Garands, the Army trialed with STG-44s, and the VC used Mosin Nagant M44 carbines"- this. What are you on about? Its not an early stage of war in the game, so there wont be guns like this.

Upvote 0
I've enjoyed the beta so far, and I'll provide some more in-depth feedback when I can. Would it perhaps be helpful to mention what, if anything, is considered 'final'? For example, sound effects for weapons and such? Might be easier to provide helpful feedback rather than commenting on things that are likely to change.

Upvote 0
Got my key just as my ISP started having service troubles in the area. D: So while I have not had a chance to try a multiplayer match yet I have played around in the firing range. The weapons feel really, really good so far.

Also if you take the M60 with the three 100-round belts you literally do not have enough ammo to warp the barrel. Working as intended?

kookooskoos;n2278362 said:
I personally do not like the narrator for the objective statuses. It sounds robotic, uninteresting, and completely kills immersion.

That's because they are robots, it is Text To Speech voices used as placeholders (you can hear them read the voice directions like "whispered". This will obviously not be in the final game.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
spook*AUS*;n2278205 said:
Just activated my key and downloaded client.

One question I have is will there be Asian/Oceanic based beta test servers? I live in Australia and even with a decent connection my lowest ping will be 250+ on US based servers making gaming very laggy= can't give decent feedback

Yeah that is often the way, I have offered full RDP to a server in sydney, but I would say they probably aren't ready to test the dedicated server on different machines just yet.

Upvote 0