• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Classic vs Realism

Classic vs Realism

• Classic

Votes: 288 59.8%
  • Realism

Votes: 194 40.2%

• Total voters
Tweak the movement of Classic Mode a little bit, and it sweeps the competition where I'm concerned. Reintroducing bandaging to Classic would be sweet as well.

We all have our own definition of realism. The lack of shift-zoom may skew distances, sure, but it feels more immersive and makes ranged combat less lethal. The increased sway better reflects the true challenges of marksmanship. The longer transition from hip to iron sights is also golden--the snap-to iron sights of Realism Mode from a dead sprint may be a third as fast as Call of Duty's, but it is still far too fast.

Again, it all comes down to personal preference.

Upvote 0
I have to agree with Mekh that classic takes it too far in terms of movement. It just completely breaks my suspension of belief whenever I get totally out of breath when jogging for more than 20m (felt). You can argue for that level of reduced speed and stamina from a gameplay perspective since the effect of that is mostly felt and can't really be measured and thus is subjective.

But arguing that soldiers who were still actively fighting and not just slowly dying of something were that slow is just ludicrous.

Upvote 0
Not really, in my view. "Felt" is surely not necessary since you can easily tell exactly how far the sprint stamina takes you? Hint: it's 50m, not 20m.

I've looked at the study of PT data for American soldiers at the end of WW2 and Classic stacks up pretty well against that, considering the starting and finishing condition of the troops concerned, use of fresh troops vs use of troops on campaign, use of PT clothing and shoes vs hobnail boots, greatcoat and patrol order, running on a flat stadium track vs running on rubble, in snow, up stairs etc.

Upvote 0
Not really, in my view. "Felt" is surely not necessary since you can easily tell exactly how far the sprint stamina takes you? Hint: it's 50m, not 20m.

I've looked at the study of PT data for American soldiers at the end of WW2 and Classic stacks up pretty well against that, considering the starting and finishing condition of the troops concerned, use of fresh troops vs use of troops on campaign, use of PT clothing and shoes vs hobnail boots, greatcoat and patrol order, running on a flat stadium track vs running on rubble, in snow, up stairs etc.

Not to mention that as the war drags on people would become weary from battle.

Upvote 0
Tweak the movement of Classic Mode a little bit, and it sweeps the competition where I'm concerned. Reintroducing bandaging to Classic would be sweet as well.

We all have our own definition of realism. The lack of shift-zoom may skew distances, sure, but it feels more immersive and makes ranged combat less lethal. The increased sway better reflects the true challenges of marksmanship. The longer transition from hip to iron sights is also golden--the snap-to iron sights of Realism Mode from a dead sprint may be a third as fast as Call of Duty's, but it is still far too fast.

Again, it all comes down to personal preference.

right +1

Upvote 0

No, the study results came closer to the distance in realism.

Upvote 0
Classic for me, cant wuite put my finger on it but i just seem to enjoy it more, i suppose because people actually concentrate on the objective rather than trying to gather unlocks by shooting anything that moves and not sticking to the game mode.

Can i just say though, a big THUMBS UP to TWI, this patch has made the game a hell of a lot more ejoyable and it plays so very smoothly now, i had kinda stopped playing RO2 for while but am hooked again now :)

WELL DONE GUYS :D

Upvote 0
The extra movement of realism is far more correct (heck, I can outrun the Classic soldiers.... And that is quite sad)

I disagree.

I feel this is a illusion based on being too used to fast paced games, and the problem of FOV and the lack of games being able to deal with dead turning and eyeball movement.

So, in order to compensate for eyeball movement and head turning, FOV needs to be higher than in real life in order to make view feel more realistic, and not overly narrow.

At the same time, this is essentially like using a wide angle lens, which makes you feel like you are moving very slowly, even if that is not the case. It is further exacerbated by the lack of all the bouncing around and heavy breathing that real running entails.

I feel the run speed is fairly accurate in Classic, though tough to get used to compared to other faster paced video games. Try running past a dump truck outside, and then running past a tank in game, and you'll notice that they are pretty close to each other, even if the running in game feels much slower.

Upvote 0
I prefer Classic mainly because the enemy weapon loadout bothers me in realism (nothing better than to take the enemy weapon from a fallen foe and sneak behind enemy lines).

Regarding the movement speed. Classic and Realism both have it right and wrong. Classic seems more plausible on the snow maps while Realism movement speed reflects it better on the summer maps. So the movement speed should be map specific (or even better which type of ground the soldier is on). There is no way you will have the same speed on snow like Mamayev especially in full gear.

Many also say that the adrenaline will give you a boost when under fire so you would be able to run faster. Well again, yes and no. Initially yes, but you could not keep that adrenaline level forever and will be more tired afterwards. Also veteran soldiers would have less adrenaline boost as it will not affect them as much. So if you take it that your avatar has only this life and fought before he will be tired for sure and certainly as a veteran you would know when to give it all and when to take it easy, his own body energy management if you will and it was necessary to survive. So imho the running speed is fine even on classic but maybe give it a little more pace for the first third when the stamina bar is full. My grandfather was in Stalingrad and told me how important it was to preserve your energy as you never knew what would come next. Eat and rest whenever you can as you will not know when you will be able to again.
Regarding adrenaline and boosts. It could be reflected in the game by being under fire and then being able to sprint faster but it might look a bit funny if a soldier suddenly shoots off...

Anyway we all have the choice now so everybody should be happy (I am)!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am torn, really, I love classic, but i feel it misses some of the features that Realism brings to the table.

For example, and I was as surprised as you are, I like seeing different variants of PPSh and Mosin on the field, and enjoy being able to choose between bayonet on or off. But at the same time, the almost instant sprint--->180 headshot to to the tip of my helmet just KILLS me (hehe punny, thats pretty good).

Overall, i think I still enjoy classic for that reason, I am willing to sacrifice some things for a less...dubious...gameplay style.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Voted Realism.

My gripes with Classic (and they are pretty much totally personal in nature):

- Absolutely massively overdone suppression. I do not enjoy flinching like mad because somebody is pecking rounds off the walls of a room on the next floor of my building. And nor do I enjoy not being able to return fire at all if an automatic is firing anywhere near me. You can argue the realistic merits of such a reaction but that's why Classic is its own separate mode. IMO it's totally ridiculous and often simply hinders my gameplay experience.

- Really slow sprint speed and fast stamina drain. Have one or the other guys, right now it's like every soldier smokes 20 packs a day and is less fit than even I am.

- Lack of zoom. I know your eyes don't actually do this in reality but the whole point of it was to compensate for the small viewing space of a computer monitor vs. a real person's approximate FOV. Playing RO2 without it really makes you appreciate how necessary this feature is.

If you enjoy these differences in Classic mode then I'm glad you found something worth playing in Ro2. But for me, I'll be sticking with Realism mode given the choice.

Reactions: El_Ejcovero
Upvote 0