• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

'Classic mode'

Nimsky

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Elitist Prick Nude Beach
It would be nice if RO2 had a 'Classic' mode, which would be like Territory, but without the selective & squad spawn functions. I have nothing against those features but I bet they do change the feel of the game a bit. Giving players to the option to play in Classic mode would add even more variety to the game and allow them to play the mode that made us love RO:O so much.

Also a suggestion: add little icons next to the server names in the server browser which show the server settings. That way you can immediately see whether a server is running realism or relaxed realism. Or, even better, make it a filter option. But I'm sure TWI has already planned to do the latter.

I would be interested in such a game mode - but the only difference would be the removal of spawning with the squad leader, correct?

I would hope that when you click on the server, in the corner there would be a box that displays information such as the game mode and players.

A filter is a must, and I am sure they have already made one.

Upvote 0
Didn't they say something about people being able to "name" their custom server configs? And if you run another servers config it would be displayed as that name. So there could be like "realistic", "relaxed realism", "custom", "esl", "roladder", "TWB pub" etc.

Seems like the perfect solution anyway, especially if I can filter the server browser based on the server config "type".

Upvote 0
I hope that basically spawn on squadleader means that you get spawned on the selectable spawn closest to your squad.

By default you have multiple spawnzones you can select to spawn at, it would be nice if the game simply picked the spawnzone closest to your squad when spawning on squad.

Aka that you still need to walk a sufficient distance. I mean i don't mind that you spawn close to the squad leader, but i don't want anyone spawning behind enemy lines. For the game to keep a flow in the sense of defense you need to be able to set-up a defence line I would hate it if suddenly enemies would be comming from a position you only let one person through who happened to be a squad leader.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope we get official "Classic" or "Red Orchestra" mode from the box, not as mod. I don't want to split community even more....
even if it's out the box, there already looks like quite a few options available - 3 different game types, 2 levels of realism, hero/ranked characters servers or not - plus 1 official mod and what looks likes more 3rd party addons planned already...
I'm sure HoS will be more popular than RO but still, players may be spread out by virtue of so many choices.

It's not a bad idea but i'm not sure a classic mode will be needed - i'm not sure hos will render RO obsolete anyway.

Upvote 0
even if it's out the box, there already looks like quite a few options available - 3 different game types, 2 levels of realism, hero/ranked characters servers or not - plus 1 official mod and what looks likes more 3rd party addons planned already...
I'm sure HoS will be more popular than RO but still, players may be spread out by virtue of so many choices.

It's not a bad idea but i'm not sure a classic mode will be needed - i'm not sure hos will render RO obsolete anyway.

A lot of people (including me) play multiple versions of the game. Meaning I will play some Classic territory and squad spawn modern territory.

With mods I get it, but not everybody is playing one single specific set of filters all the time. So community splitting is not really an issue.

Upvote 0