• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Class Selection

Susi

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2008
Finland
selectionb.jpg

Finally got time to draw sketch about my idea.
I would like it to be like that. I think AA used samekind of class selection
at least in that UT 2.5 version.

Why?

Because it would be easier then to join in same squad or tank with friends.
Also if you play that gampaing mode, you start to know how people
play, and then you can easily join to that squad which got example
squad leader who got samekind of vision about tactics.

Minus side is offcourse, that there is heck of lot information in one
sheet, which make it look "comlpicated" not sexy like new players maybe
want it.

Used some random forum names on it, hope you dont get mad, because wrong class selected.

Last edited:
I'd be ok with your suggestion as it looks clear, as long there is still a global weapon selection screen.

So while you have for instance 2 squads in an 8v8 match, you only have 1 machine gun. And that machine gun can select which of the two squads he wants to join.

Beside that it would be nice if the squad leader could select some class restrictions for his squad, like an assault or fire team squad.

And again I think the total classes should be limited in a class selection screen, where your screen would shows the squad selection screen. Where due to squad limitations you cannot for instance have 2 mg's per squad as there is only one slot open for them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
+1

really love the idea!
had the same idea already a year ago and no time to draw it.
Really hope the tank-selection will be this way. (of course with a pic of a Pz4 and Pz3!)
Maybe Infantry and Tankselection should be seperated!
(you first choose if you want to play as INF or TANK, then you go to the next screen)

tankselection.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Extension7
Upvote 0
+1

really love the idea!
Had the same idea already a year ago and no time to draw it.
really hope the tank-selection will be this way. (of course with a pic of a pz4 and pz3!)
maybe infantry and tankselection should be seperated!
(you first choose if you want to play as inf or tank, then you go to the next screen)

tankselection.jpg
oh yeah!

Upvote 0
Lemon as the SL made me LOL :troll: :p

Nice presentation, susi.

If RO2 does indeed make extensive use of squads and squad leaders, an easy to manipulate squad system would be nice. For all of the game's faults, I've enjoyed BFBC2's squad system. It's unobtrusive when youdon't want to see it. One is free to rambo or join a squad, lock a squad, etc. It works well the respawn system in the game.

The ability to lock a squad is about the only thing I don't like in BFBC2. But I understand its concept and it does have its uses (especially with tanks).

It will be interesting to see how TW handles squads, etc....

Upvote 0
LemoN as the squad leader? Is it really necessary to inflate his already enormous ego? :troll:

It's not necessary... but it certainly helps! :p

Also, +1 to this suggestion, although I'd maybe keep the info on the squad section simple.

IE: You have a list of all squads available, simply saying how many people are in it (like 8/10), and when you click the squad it expands. This way you'd also have room for class description and weapon selection.

lhgvk1293987480.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Extension7 and Susi
Upvote 0
I personally think it should go like this....

1 platoon leader with smg/semi, pistol and binoculars

1 sniper with scoped rifle and pistol

3 ten man squads, each with

1 squad leader with smg/semi, pistol and binoculars

1 assistant squad leader with smg/semi

1 MG with LMG, pistol, and binoculars

2 assault with smg's

5 riflemen with bolts

If it were a combined arms map, then there would be 1 or 2 tanks, and some AT people of course, some maps could be different, with less smg's, or a whole squad of smg's, or more LMG's ETC.

I think the hero should not be a set rank, whoever is the most experienced on the team or did the best in the last match should be the hero, and he should pick whatever class he wants.

Upvote 0
I personally think it should go like this....

1 platoon leader with smg/semi, pistol and binoculars

1 sniper with scoped rifle and pistol

3 ten man squads, each with

1 squad leader with smg/semi, pistol and binoculars

1 assistant squad leader with smg/semi

1 MG with LMG, pistol, and binoculars

2 assault with smg's

5 riflemen with bolts

If it were a combined arms map, then there would be 1 or 2 tanks, and some AT people of course, some maps could be different, with less smg's, or a whole squad of smg's, or more LMG's ETC.

I think the hero should not be a set rank, whoever is the most experienced on the team or did the best in the last match should be the hero, and he should pick whatever class he wants.

Oh christ, at last read what the thread is about before spamming your useless squad loadout discussions.

One last time, I'm pretty sure that TWI knows better than you what the historically correct loadout would be on paper, but squads varied and this gives them the freedom to balance maps using the amount of classes available.
It's the mapper's choice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
amount of classes available.
It's the mapper's choice.

Ya they can allready in RO1 limit how many classes available
if less than 18, more than 33 and more than 44
players. What we are speaking is how you select your class
and see other players.

I like Lemon idea, its heck of good compromise, beetween
my idea and what we have used to in RO1.

On that you cant check so fastly where everybody are.
But it will left a lot of space to information
about weapons and classes and photos.

So in overall it may work much better. :)

+1

Upvote 0

As I said before I think weapon selection should happen before the squad selection. So that players picking a weapon can transfer to a different squad without having to reselect a new weapon.

So you first pick say an mg and then pick a squad. As otherwise with low player amounts say 8v8, you either only have 1 squad possible to select from or you'll have say 2 mg's.

And at times a player might want to help out another squad that is in problems he should be able to do so without losing his weaponry. People should be able to join a squad because the squad leader is a good squad leader.

Beside that I think people should be able to play without a squad as well. There are always people that just want to roam off and do their own thing it would be better if they would do that outside of a squad, rather than perhaps ruining the fun for a squad for having some people around. Ideally you want everybody in a squad and helping but if people are an arse its better they do it outside of any squad.

Upvote 0
As I said before I think weapon selection should happen before the squad selection. So that players picking a weapon can transfer to a different squad without having to reselect a new weapon.

So you first pick say an mg and then pick a squad. As otherwise with low player amounts say 8v8, you either only have 1 squad possible to select from or you'll have say 2 mg's.

And at times a player might want to help out another squad that is in problems he should be able to do so without losing his weaponry. People should be able to join a squad because the squad leader is a good squad leader.

Beside that I think people should be able to play without a squad as well. There are always people that just want to roam off and do their own thing it would be better if they would do that outside of a squad, rather than perhaps ruining the fun for a squad for having some people around. Ideally you want everybody in a squad and helping but if people are an arse its better they do it outside of any squad.

I disagree.

Squads should be unlocked after they are 3/4 or so filled, so as soon as 6 players are on one side a second squad should automatically be opened up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0