• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

CAP zone time

Cyper

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2011
Sweden
Something that I have always been thinking about but never asked is how long it takes to fully take over a CAP zone. In RO1, I remember that it was often harder for attackers to take over a CAP. In RO2 a few teammates can often take over a CAP zone quite quickly if there is no enemy resistance within the zone. If you were alone in RO1, it took a good amount of time to take over a CAP zone. Don't know how long it takes for one individual to take it over in RO2, though. This may however be due to the fact that there often is more players in RO2 than RO1 and that the maps are smaller which therefore makes it easier for people to come together at one spot.

Anyway, I am curious this is true. Does it takes less time to take over CAPs in RO2?

I am not at home ATM, I'm at my parents apartment, so I can't test this right now, but it would be interesting to know how long it takes for one person to take over a CAP in RO1 VS RO2.

The function for capture rate depends on several factors; each objective has a minimum time to capture (Usually 15 seconds), and a variable for capture rate. The capture rate is then scaled up by the square of the number of cappers, and divided by the total team size, to determine the actual cap rate.

For an objective using the typical default values, and on a full 32-player team:
1 soldier caps in 6 minutes, 24 seconds.
2 soldiers cap in 1 minute 36 seconds.
3 soldiers cap in 42 seconds.
4 soldiers cap in 24 seconds.
5 soldiers and up cap in 15 seconds (Technically, 5 soldiers cap 0.3 seconds slower than 6-plus).

If a squad or team leader is one of these soldiers, then the time to capture is reduced by about 20%. It sounds nice, but it's never as strong as having another person in the cap, and is completely wasted if you're already at the cap.

Also note, this is completely independent of the enemy team. The game doesn't care about the ratio of friendly or enemy soldiers, or even how many soldiers you have more than the enemy. It cares only about how many soldiers the capturing team has in the cap. If you've got the entire 64-player server, 32 on each side, sitting in a single cap, it's sit nice and neutral, but the minute one of them dies the other side is going to start capping at full speed.

Upvote 0
Also note, this is completely independent of the enemy team. The game doesn't care about the ratio of friendly or enemy soldiers, or even how many soldiers you have more than the enemy. It cares only about how many soldiers the capturing team has in the cap. If you've got the entire 64-player server, 32 on each side, sitting in a single cap, it's sit nice and neutral, but the minute one of them dies the other side is going to start capping at full speed.

Interesting... and a bit odd.

If you ask me they should do away with cap zones and just have "territory" - friendly- or enemy-controlled areas (or neutral). Basically, the game would draw a line through all your troops (ignoring any outliers), and all ground behind that line is friendly controlled. Then you'd have a definite front line, as both teams try to hold their ground and push forward, and you could end up with salients and pockets and whatnot.

Instead of cap zones you could have "key objectives" to fight for control over, where your teams gets a score mulitplier if any objectives are inside your territory.

Upvote 0
Interesting... and a bit odd.

If you ask me they should do away with cap zones and just have "territory" - friendly- or enemy-controlled areas (or neutral). Basically, the game would draw a line through all your troops (ignoring any outliers), and all ground behind that line is friendly controlled. Then you'd have a definite front line, as both teams try to hold their ground and push forward, and you could end up with salients and pockets and whatnot.

Instead of cap zones you could have "key objectives" to fight for control over, where your teams gets a score mulitplier if any objectives are inside your territory.

Territory idea is nice but you have to think about how spawns would work then. It gets really complex when you start having pockets but perhaps doable.

Upvote 0
The function for capture rate depends on several factors; each objective has a minimum time to capture (Usually 15 seconds), and a variable for capture rate. The capture rate is then scaled up by the square of the number of cappers, and divided by the total team size, to determine the actual cap rate.

For an objective using the typical default values, and on a full 32-player team:
1 soldier caps in 6 minutes, 24 seconds.
2 soldiers cap in 1 minute 36 seconds.
3 soldiers cap in 42 seconds.
4 soldiers cap in 24 seconds.
5 soldiers and up cap in 15 seconds (Technically, 5 soldiers cap 0.3 seconds slower than 6-plus).

If a squad or team leader is one of these soldiers, then the time to capture is reduced by about 20%. It sounds nice, but it's never as strong as having another person in the cap, and is completely wasted if you're already at the cap.

Wow, thanks for the insight. That was really informative. Just one question:

"1 soldier caps in 6 minutes, 24 seconds.
2 soldiers cap in 1 minute 36 seconds."

Are you sure of this? 2 soldiers cap 4 times faster than 1 soldier? That seems a bit odd to me.

Upvote 0
Territory idea is nice but you have to think about how spawns would work then. It gets really complex when you start having pockets but perhaps doable.

CTF supports spawn zones that dynamically change based on different conditions, such as the forces ratio, the number of friendlies/foes, or the state of other spawn zones or other areas. TE could use something equivalent. Actually, I say CTF, but the library, CustomGameTypes, was designed to be reusable with other game types. So if you're interested, it shouldn't be very hard to get it to work with TE, or a subclassed TE game info.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you sure of this? 2 soldiers cap 4 times faster than 1 soldier? That seems a bit odd to me.

Yep, the capture rate is the number of cappers, times the cap rate of the objective, times the leader bonus (If present), then multiplied by the number of cappers (As a float) again, and finally divided by the number of players on that team. 2 soldiers cap at 4 times the rate of 1, 3 soldiers cap at 9 times the rate, 4 at 16 times the rate, and 5 and 25 times.

Upvote 0
Yep, the capture rate is the number of cappers, times the cap rate of the objective, times the leader bonus (If present), then multiplied by the number of cappers (As a float) again, and finally divided by the number of players on that team. 2 soldiers cap at 4 times the rate of 1, 3 soldiers cap at 9 times the rate, 4 at 16 times the rate, and 5 and 25 times.

You could almost say it is squared :)

Upvote 0