• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Cap systems

Pharnakes

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2007
I rember a thread about this probably nearly a year ago, in which I was very impresed by something Yoshi said.

As far as I can remember the debate was about cap zones on the larger urban maps, and speificaly the large buildings in leningrad.

Now what Yoshi said was that his perfect system would be each individual room counts as a seperate cap zone. To cap a room you have to have one person in it for say 15 seconds, and then he moves onto the next room.

Thats all I can remember of Yoshi's ideas, so I'll add my own thoughts to it now:

To take Leningrad as an example, the first cap is "The Anti Tank Position" (never understood why, no AT stuff that I ever saw :p). Now this cap zone includes I think 4 floors, each with 2 coridoors and most with atleast 2 rooms opening out of each coridor.

In game play it is quite possible for the germans to cram people into just one or two rooms, and cap the building that way whilst the russians still have the majority of the cap locked down.

Now my idea would be that within this "primary" cap zone, each room counts as " secondary" or "control" capzone. Each room/area, is an idivdual, non linked cap zone. These caps would be fast to change hands, would have no indication of enemies in them (although the primary would), and would be unlinked, ie, once the primary opens up, all the "control" caps inside would become free.

To cpa the primary and move the game foward, one team would have to take 50% of the control caps. Once 50% are taken, every cap taken after that would move the primary cap bar fowards, ie, each control cap counts rather like 1 player does in the current game.

In order to start moving the primary cap bar, one team would have to hold 50% or more of the control caps in a solid block, touching each other. This would allow for a small group of players to be cut off from the main resistance and hole up in a few rooms. They would no longer be acctivley contributing to the fight, but on the other hand they are still preventing the enemy from taking those rooms and adding them to their 50%.

Ok, thats the basis of my idea, now a few points about it:

This would force a much greater degree of team work and cohesion, and would lead to some absolutely epic fights from room to room, with one team holding the upstairs and the other down stairs (which I belive happened quite often in Stalingrad).

It would also add a far greater depth of freedom and replayabilty to maps, by allowing almost infinite ways to take each objective, each fight for a large building would become almost unique, as each team pushes back and forth in the rooms.

Curently the method of taking a cap such as the AT on leningrad is to run in and hide whilst others cut off the enemy spawn. This is all very well, but it doesn't make the aattackers really clear the building out and take over it, they just hold one or two rooms till the cap bar has moved along.

With this idea I belive fights would become far more realisitic, tense and require far more teamwork and cordination, to go in with your squad and sweep out a building one room at would be absolutley epic IMHO, only thing more epic would be as a small group holding one corner of a builiding and getting cut off, and holding against all the enemy can throw at you untill you are rescued by the next push from your side, or even better, making your way through the enemy building to rejoin your teamates.

Obviously the the various figures I suggest are just pulled out the air and would have to be tested to get the balance right.

I put this at the bottom becuase i am not so sure aboaut it, but I think it might add to thr gameplay if there was a forced nomans land between control cap, so if you are in the first room and the enemy is in the third, you have to clear them out of the third before you can take the second. this I feel might slow down the gameplay somewhat and disencourage bumrushing to cap, if you knwo that you can't cap anyway untill you have cleared the area.

As regard scoring I don't know really, in my vision the control caps would change hands quite often if the teams w're ballanced, but maybe 1 point should be awarded for taking a control cap. Very minor point anyway.

I've been hoping someone would come up with a random cap zones system, as an example once you become an expert capper you know the easiest routes to a zone and it's pretty much the same old, same old.

Example Stalingrad Kessel. You have to take the warehouse first then either North Rail or Assembly Hall. Well with a dynamic or random cap zone set up you may have to take South Rail first then North or Assembly of course the spawns would also be relative to the cap zones also dynamic, this way every time you played you might get say 5 different games from a single map and if doing best of 3, each round would be different and the tactics to cap would change from round to round, no same old, same old.

You could also have a spawn equally distant from the real action or zones and they could remain the same but have the cap zones order change or objectives change from round to round. This simply would make every battle different and no simple routine could be acquired.

Once you cap one zone the other zone would then become visible on map and not before hand is another feature, instead of having them all available from start as well.

Even have the caps move randomly between 10 different spots on map from house to house, from field to rail whatever and it would never be the same, just randomly generate the next zone area on the map as one is capped, then everyone would have to check map and think of new route to take or route to defend.

My rant - simply put Dynamic Cap Zones.

Upvote 0
Why are capture zones needed at all?

How about mission objectives? For example one side has to clear an area of most enemies within a given time limit. The other side has no need to eliminate the opposing forces, simply hold the area until the time limit expires.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, it is not the same. One team has a mission to clear a city block of most enemies within 20-30 minutes. This is how it happened in Stalingrad.

With capture zones, there are artificial rules where a player has to stand in a predetermined area for some time to win. This is absolutely incorrect. In order to win, most enemy forces must be eliminated.

Read and learn, realism fans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In this post word "capture" means elimination of all enemies.

To take that authenticity further, capzones need to be abandoned.

There can be missions where one side has the burden of capturing an area (eliminating most enemies) and the other side simply needs to defend until the time limit expires. Call it assault and defence.

Multi-staged missions are a brilliant idea first used in Battlefield: Bad Company (just check gold rush mode). For example there are three positions. First position must be captured in 20 minutes. Limit reinforcements to suit the 20 minute interval. If the assaulting force is successful in eliminating most enemies, the map "shifts" forward and the two sides are now fighting over the second position. If all three positions are captured, the assaulting force wins. If the assaulting force suffers heavy losses (runs out of reinforcements) or doesnt manage the time limit, the defending force wins.

The only difference from Battlefield: Bad Company would be that in RO:HOS instead of capturing a gold crate, most enemies must be eliminated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is not a capzone and I have explained above why, it is closer to death-match but has significant differences.

The defending force needs not to eliminate all enemies, but just hold for long enough (i.e. 25 minutes). This means the assaulting force is at a disadvantage, but this can be balanced out if they have numeric superiority (i.e. 14 players as the assaulting force against 10 players as the defending force)

It is not the whole map, but rather a large area to which the assaulting force need to travel. Tripwire should really explore Battlefield:Bad Company gold rush mode. Only replace gold crates as I said earlier with elimination.

Last edited:
Upvote 0