• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

CAN'T INSTALL GAME (new problem not posted to forums)

jignatuk

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 23, 2007
I just bought this game from Target, and it won't install. No errors, nothing. I put in the CD, the splash screen comes up, I click "install," and the setup.exe application just simply exits. No warnings or errors, it just quits. I go to programs>run "d:\setup" and it once again brings up the splash screen for installing, I click "install" and once again it quits without doing anything. It doesn't even get to the point of asking for my CD keys (which I have because I purchased the Collector's Edition from Target).

I have the CD keys, and in the other posts some people mention downloading the game from Steam with your CD keys, but no one posted instructions on how to do this.

Bold Games tech support is non-existent, they don't answer their phone.

This is quite frustrating, I can't even install the game. It's not my PC, I have never had any problems with BF2142, Medieval II, AOEIII, or Battle for Middle Earth I and II. I'm just trying to do a basic installation here. Any helpful hints would be much appreciated.

Okay okay, so I found out from reading LOTS of posts that if you activate the product through Steam, you can *then* proceed to download it. So I registered it, and now it's downloading.

I hope it's the most recent version...

And *wow* who would sell a game that doesn't install from the CDs. Ouch. I must say I have pretty low expectations for this game given the problems I've had to so far just trying to install, and from all the CTD (crash to desktops) people seem to be having. But we'll see, hopefully it will play alright.

Upvote 0
For any problems with the CD install you will have to contact the box publisher. As far as I know there are no problems with the Special Edition instal.
Disk 1 in a waste! Disk 2 installs stream which after logging in starts downloading "Red Orchestra" and the RO Beta" but after installin 890 mg I am asked to install CD 2 but CD 2 was already in,so I put in CD 1 and nothing! I have a "Bonus DVD" but it does nothing! This sucks!

Upvote 0
<P>I bought the recent version also which has 3 disks and have the same problem. You put in disk1, it autoruns to a menu, then you click install, and the window goes away, and thats it. Its done. Tried the other disks, they do the same thing (ie, nothing). Luckily I have a steam account from day of defeat, I just entered the CD code and downloaded the whole thing, took a day and a half!! I'm curious whats on that "bonus" disk though, I can't install anything off it either. What am I missing out on? Is this something that can be downloaded elsewhere? </P>
<P> </P>
<P>Major screw up if you ask me. If this was a persons first steam game, they'd not be too happy and would be trying to get their money back.  </P>
<P> </P>
<P>Glad I bought RO though, great game!</P>
<P> </P>
<P> - Bugs Bunny</P>
<P> </P>

Upvote 0
Hi Yoshiro, I tried all the disks, they all do the same thing: initially pops up the install menu, then when you click "install", it dies without so much as a peep. Bought mine at EB Games (in Canada).

It almost looks like in-sufficient user rights/privileges, however, I'm logged in as admin (actually I have a Compaq, they have "Compaq_Administer" instead of just "administer", but still has full privileges).

ps, any reason all the ctrl codes appeared in my message?

- Bugs Bunny

Upvote 0
Hi Yoshiro, I tried all the disks, they all do the same thing: initially pops up the install menu, then when you click "install", it dies without so much as a peep. Bought mine at EB Games (in Canada).

It almost looks like in-sufficient user rights/privileges, however, I'm logged in as admin (actually I have a Compaq, they have "Compaq_Administer" instead of just "administer", but still has full privileges).

ps, any reason all the ctrl codes appeared in my message?

- Bugs Bunny

What version of the game do you have?

The only known issues with the isntaller are if you don't have a C drive or if you have the special edition you have to install from disc 2.

If you have any problems with the installer you will have to contact the publisher. We have nothing to do with the making of the CD's. They provide all support for them.

As somebody else has stated through, you can drop the CD key into steam however and download it.

Upvote 0