• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Cannot Fire quick enough

One way to improve aiming is to set overall mouse sensivity to high while setting aiming down sights (ADS) sensivity at low - you'll be able to turn around fast enough and be able to aim precisely when ADSing.

Another way is to set yourself in a position that won't expose you to multiple enemies, you can't cover all fire zones quickly enough if no one is covering different angle (and rarely people care about that, which is not tactical). Some positions are better with mantling (reduces your sway, allowing you to aim better) while the other ones are best without cover usage (like laying prone and leaning).

My first few days in Red Orchestra 2 were to learn how to not die while on the move, after that I've learned how to recognize targets at range and fire effectively at them to kill. Just practice a bit and you should do fine in time. I'd also advise to stay close to your teammates - a single gunner rarely can kill the whole squad, so that's your advantage if you're the attacker.

Upvote 0
One way to improve aiming is to set overall mouse sensivity to high while setting aiming down sights (ADS) sensivity at low - you'll be able to turn around fast enough and be able to aim precisely when ADSing.

Another way is to set yourself in a position that won't expose you to multiple enemies, you can't cover all fire zones quickly enough if no one is covering different angle (and rarely people care about that, which is not tactical). Some positions are better with mantling (reduces your sway, allowing you to aim better) while the other ones are best without cover usage (like laying prone and leaning).

My first few days in Red Orchestra 2 were to learn how to not die while on the move, after that I've learned how to recognize targets at range and fire effectively at them to kill. Just practice a bit and you should do fine in time. I'd also advise to stay close to your teammates - a single gunner rarely can kill the whole squad, so that's your advantage if you're the attacker.

Some useful advise here. Another problem I have is that I rarely see the enemy,
then sprint to next cover and so on, but eventually get killed most of the time with only one shot. I think the game suits campers or defenders, as attackers have to take more risk. They just sit there and wait for the attacker to appear at some point which he must do. If I rarely spot anyone how can they see me so easily. Its is very hard to get a kill first time against a sprinting unit. Maybe I should look at map more often when there is a commander.

Upvote 0
I would suggest hang back a little and see what others do, if someone runs out in front of you and gets shot, think twice about doing the same.

You don't say which mode you play, I personally prefer realism mode but if you are starting out then action mode may be easier.

Also with the progression system weapons get a little better the more you use them, if again you have only just got the game then your weapon skills will not be quite as good as someone who has been playing longer. In classic mode the progression system has no effect, everyone has the same weapons skills and run speed etc, but I think this mode would be quite difficult for a beginner.

Some maps the defender has big advantages, station is one such map, a good Russian team on this map can make it very difficult for the attacker, so go defender on this map to gain experience.

Use single player to get knowledge of the maps, and different weapons, bots may run around in a dumb way but when they decide to shoot they are quicker than most players.

If you have a weapon choice at the start of a round try to get an smg or semi-auto rifle much easier to use the a bolt action rifle. I use a bolt action most of the time now, but when I first played I tried to get an smg as much as I could.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another problem I have is that I rarely see the enemy,
then sprint to next cover and so on, but eventually get killed most of the time with only one shot.
Most bullets will kill with one shot. It all depends on where you had been hit and with what - pistols or submachine guns usually needs more bullets to kill while most shoots from bolt-action rifle will most likely be fatal when hitting anything from the middle of the torso and up (head, chest).

I think the game suits campers or defenders, as attackers have to take more risk. They just sit there and wait for the attacker to appear at some point which he must do.
Perhaps, but there are tools to help the attackers - artillery, smoke and tactics. Organized team (or even squad) has more chances against disorganized band. People often forget how important it is to play together rather than all doing their own thing.

If I rarely spot anyone how can they see me so easily.
Experience. Sometimes I shoot blindly at the window I can't see clearly and get a hit. Or use Heavy Machine Gun (HMG) from Town Hall to fire at Church and get multiple hits.

Its is very hard to get a kill first time against a sprinting unit.
It all comes down to experience - you need to measure where to aim in order to hit moving target; including target's speed and distance (sight adjustment can be helpful here). I not always hit, but now more often than not. When I started I wasn't able to hit target 50 meters away.

Upvote 0
Plenty of good advices here, don't you think?
I still remember when I got my 1st rifle-kill, back in the days of the mod...it was a boost in confidence for sure.

In a close confrontation I nearly always get shot first
I think you must be better prepared.

Make sure you're stamina is high in close combat situations, so you can hold a defensive stance without being heard (no loud breathing).
And you will need that stamina, because you will have to make lots of fast retreats from grenades.
Indoors, make short crouched sprints from cover to cover, and always listen to what's going on around the corner...if you hear foodsteps + the enemy-voice, then you're prepared!
You will be the 1st to react.
The game has an excellent sound-engine, and with 64 channels I can pinpoint pretty much anything I hear...so learn how to use it too.

If you're attacking in close combat situations (let's say as Assault class), you can apply the same tactics to your style...sneak when it's quiet, sprint when gunfire is in the air, stop when it's quiet again.
Listen to the enemies talking to each other, and notice if they're one floor up, or down below somewhere.
Or just around the corner - probably haven't heard you at all :D
Again, you will have the element of surprise, and be 1st to pull the trigger.

Upvote 0
Always have a good look at the map and try to figure out where the enemy is soming from. Once you've done that, get into cover and wait 10 secs near to where you'd expect them to be, that will usually give u a bit of an advantage. dont fire untul you think you've got a good shot or you'll probably get slotted.

Once youre spotted, relocate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lots of good advice but he said...In a close confrontation I nearly always get shot first, and I cannot hit the mouse fire button quickly enough.

What he didn't say is what weapon he is using. I almost always lose a "duel" in CQB when I have a rifle but if I am armed with an automatic weapon, then my chances of coming out alive are greater.

It could be age but since I am probably one of the older "vets", I'm betting it's weapon and awareness of surroundings.

Upvote 0
Another way is to scavenge weapons, even pistols - as a rifleman I often pick up equipment of my dead comrades (taking weapon of the enemy still happens, but it's easier to take weapon of some unlucky assault rather than, for example, pry PPSh-41 from alive and angry Soviet) down even to grenades or ammo. Scavenged submachine gun can give you an edge at close range you need. If you have automatic weapon don't be afraid to send more bullets or even fire from the hip - sometimes you just don't have time for aiming and at low range you can kill enemy at once (if you hit) or after spraying a bit (or correcting your aim as you see where the bullets did hit).

Upvote 0
In a close confrontation I nearly always get shot first, and I cannot hit the mouse fire button quickly enough. I barely kill bots in time. Maybe it is my mouse setting, or I am getting too old for this kind of game!! Or maybe the opposition have higher skill levels whilst I am still a raw recruit.

Any idea how I can improve on this?

Your never to old, just to slow lol. Im 44:eek:

Upvote 0
Some useful advise here. Another problem I have is that I rarely see the enemy,
then sprint to next cover and so on, but eventually get killed most of the time with only one shot. I think the game suits campers or defenders, as attackers have to take more risk.

They do, but I personally prefer choosing the attacker in most maps than defender simply because I like the challenge and my personal tactics suit that role.

The game may first appear to favour campers, but if you camp, you'll quickly find out that it doesn't. Stay in one spot for too long and someone will eventually find you & kill you from behind..... and will keep killing you until you find another place to hide.

This game doesn't work the same was as the other common FPS's out there. In those games, you can run out in the open, take a couple of hits, then hide somewhere & wait until your health regenerates, or someone will come along and toss you a medpack or simply heal you.

In RO2, if you run out in the open and get hit.... you will die. You may get wounded and find a place to hide to bandage your wound so you don't bleed out & die, but usually the second hit will take you out afterwards..... in other words, there is no health regeneration and there is nobody to come and save you.

They just sit there and wait for the attacker to appear at some point which he must do.

Yup..... but the plus side for the attacker is that you can approach the objective/enemy from any angle/direction you please (Head straight at them, flank them, smoke them out & get up close and personal, toss grenades, etc.) while the downside for the defenders is that if they want to properly hold the objective, they're confined in the objective and boxed in.... if they're wiped out by arty or a good offence, it'll be very difficult for them to flush you out and re-take the objective..... or worse, you capture the objective and then it's locked out, which means they can't take it back and have to fall back to the next objective while you rush towards it.

If I rarely spot anyone how can they see me so easily. Its is very hard to get a kill first time against a sprinting unit. Maybe I should look at map more often when there is a commander.

With sprinting targets, you need to learn the distance to lead the target based on the distance and their speed..... eventually you can master it.

As for people spotting you and taking you out, those people may just know the map a lot better than you and know that you're in a common spot your team uses..... they could have also seen the muzzle flash from your weapon as you fired..... or they just saw your head poking out. As I said above, don't stay in one spot for too long. Get a couple of kills and then move to a different location, otherwise the enemy will get wise to what you're doing and come at you in a direction you won't see coming.

As for the bots snap-shooting you in one hit.... that's just how they work and no matter how fast you think your are, or how good you think you are, they can often get the upper hand and appear to head shot you with a hip-shot while they're back is turned.... they need a bit of tweaking in this area, as it happens to everybody & has nothing to do with you being older and having slower reflexes, etc.

They turned around & shot you faster than your ping could display, which is why it looks like they killed you before they turned around & aimed...... in some areas, the bots are a bit faster than the average human & can be a bit annoying.

Upvote 0
On close confrontations, no matter what weapons, I think I get a slowdown in FPS. Even though I get around 60 fps on high settings. My Radeon 3870 is I mb 4 years old so it is still pretty good but looks like it falters in close combat.

One more annoying thing, in conjuction with rarely seeing any enemy, I tried being more
cautious like going prone in long grass not too close to the front line, still get killed. Damm frustrating game this so maybe it is my age - massive 62!!

Upvote 0
How populated are the servers you're on? I find if I'm on a full 64 slot, I can hardly move anywhere. There's enemy every square inch and you have to be slow and cautious. Also the top players only have about 20 kills at the end of a round. The more you play the better you get tho. No it's not age, it's smarts.

I usually go on the 50+ servers but probably not a good idea right now. I tend to get more enjoyment from -40 servers that have half bots say 20. Strange though on the busy servers I cannot see enemy that often, but they can see me. Yep, getting ever more cautious and slow to the extent that I am virtually crawling from the start off. Trouble is that way you dont do much in 20 minutes but probably better than getting killed all the time. Most of the time I am at the bottom of the list, even though I had the game since release just started playing since the patch due toi improved fps.

Upvote 0
How much have you played? I'd say my first 10 - 20 hours were mostly dying, not killing. If you don't know the maps yet and haven't played RO2 or even other multiplayer shooters much you will probably die much. I did. Eventually you'll get better.

However, you don't have to be that good shooter to be useful for the team (and also get points for yourself), you only need your body for attacking or defending the capture zones and in many maps you can do so in somewhat safe positions. Try to look where others are capping and help them in relevantly safe positions in the cap zone.

Upvote 0
Yep, getting ever more cautious and slow to the extent that I am virtually crawling from the start off. Trouble is that way you dont do much in 20 minutes but probably better than getting killed all the time.

Most of the top players die alot they just use position and smart tactics to put themselves in good position to kill alot at the same time.This being a tactical war sim your going to die often unless your a sniper that never leaves the spawn.The best players not only get alot of kills they get them while being in a objective helping their team at the same time.

Many times you can be too careful when your out in the open always expect to be in someones sights.Moving slow in the open only gives them an easy target.Sounds like you just need to learn the maps and where the enemy is set up.Also using proper cover will help if your in the open and receiving fire if you stop to try to acquire target 95% of the time your a dead man.

Its best to run like crazy from cover to cover using the cover to hide yourself from enemy fire.Then trying to acquire targets from a smaller field of fire limiting your exposure.Use your tactical display "T" there is always a place you need to be either attacking or defending.Finding good spots in each cap takes some time.This is where being a tactical fps plays much different from most other fps's.

It will take some time before you learn the maps and can really be effective.Just starting you can still help your team and get alot of team points just being in the right place at the right time "capzones". I have always said this game is 60% position and 40% skill as most tactical shooters are.Where patience comes in is learning the best places to be at any giving time once you learn this skill will come in time as you learn more (weapons , better position etc).

For new guys it can be very helpful to notice top players and their position even if it means spectating a few rounds just to learn what they are doing right.The hard part is learning when to be careful and when to just mad rush both are required to be effective most of the time.

Also just remember getting lots of kills and never dying is not always being effective in this game few maps come down to reinforcements.Most are won by capturing objectives or running out of time.So if you try to copy a players tactics try to pick a guy with lots of kills while at the same time helping their team with objectives these are the most effective players.

Sometimes you just have to say @#&$ it and charge to your position but using proper cover will help you.Greatly limiting your risks and at the same time giving you a safer line of sight to get kills.Many times being to careful is whats getting you killed trying to reach a certain position.

Compared to other fps's this game requires more patience to learn to be effective but when you do it can be very rewarding.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On close confrontations, no matter what weapons, I think I get a slowdown in FPS. Even though I get around 60 fps on high settings. My Radeon 3870 is I mb 4 years old so it is still pretty good but looks like it falters in close combat.

One more annoying thing, in conjuction with rarely seeing any enemy, I tried being more
cautious like going prone in long grass not too close to the front line, still get killed. Damm frustrating game this so maybe it is my age - massive 62!!

Grass/undergrowth can be turned off in the graphic options, so you can be seen, bushes and trees are constant so they give better consealment but not cover.

Age 53 it takes time to get started :)

Upvote 0
I am very pleased with the responses I have had to this thread. I think I will improve when I become a front line soldier and have better weapons. Wandering about on the flanks does not seem to work and I need to be with my team.I do wish squad members had a different colour so I know where they are? Looking at the map more often may help, but I am not sure if air recon reveals concealed enemy or just enemy out in the open?

Last edited:
Upvote 0