• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can the next RO be modern?

I would love a WWI version of RO, even an Eastern Front WWI game.

But I honestly think the Korean War is the new frontier. It begs to be done if you read about the battles. Nobody else can do it. But TWI can do it.

And as for the South Koreans being gamers, totally - they have the highest average internet speeds (check steam stats) and are a majorly plugged-in demographic, waiting to be courted by an American game co. They televise video game competitions there. Their internet gaming cafes (which are perfect for FPS tournaments) are called PC Bangs and they are big business in gaming, for $1/hr.

AGD-ep10-2.jpg

Make a game that speaks to these dudes and you're a made man.

And then there's the fact that China is involved in the conflict. Do you know how many gamers they have in China? China is THE largest PC gaming sector in the world, a $6B industry. TWI would have to treat their military history with respect, but they've proven more than capable of that with Rising Storm. TWI can do this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would love a WWI version of RO, even an Eastern Front WWI game.

The problem remains whether the peculiarities of that war will be entertaining to get enough players to pay for it. I've already outlined how much of a clusterbomb that war was in the beginning, when everyone thought they were going to fight another Napelonic War (complete with horse cavalry) but no one realized at the time the true effects of machine guns, the newly-accurate rifles, and the huge amount of trenches (along the western front), on warfare.

But I honestly think the Korean War is the new frontier. It begs to be done if you read about the battles. Nobody else can do it. But TWI can do it.

Yes, I said earlier that TWI has already made nearly all the man-portable weapons (with the exception of those unique to the Chinese forces that we haven't seen before) that were used in the Korean War in earlier installments of RO2 already. The American uniforms have already been made for RS, and resizing them with more "period-accurate" proportions for the South Korean forces using American weaponry shouldn't be difficult, along with making new facial models/skin textures for the SK forces.

The real challenge comes to whether TWI could make good enough maps for a Korean-war-centric expansion pack/sequel.

And as for the South Koreans being gamers, totally - they have the highest average internet speeds (check steam stats) and are a majorly plugged-in demographic, waiting to be courted by an American game co. They televise video game competitions there. Their internet gaming cafes (which are perfect for FPS tournaments) are called PC Bangs and they are big business in gaming, for $1/hr.

Make a game that speaks to these dudes and you're a made man.

Starcraft is so big in SK they even use it to advertise airlines:

Korean StarCraft Commercial - Hydralisk Companion - YouTube

If there was a newfangled real-time command interface for RO2 commanders, made for this game, I'm sure many Starcraft gamers could easily adapt, except this time the troops you're controlling on the battlefield won't usually be as dependable as Starcraft Unit AI.

And then there's the fact that China is involved in the conflict. Do you know how many gamers they have in China? China is THE largest PC gaming sector in the world, a $6B industry. TWI would have to treat their military history with respect, but they've proven more than capable of that with Rising Storm. TWI can do this.

In the interests of respect for the truth, how many Chinese gamers are actually paying for their game titles? Furthermore, isn't the Chinese gold-farming industry for MMOs through the roof? How many might actually be in a position to actually pay for a $60 game title through Steam, if this new RO2 Korean War title actually cost that much?

I suppose one way to get them to have a taste of it would be to offer them a "free-to-play" version that only let them play as a rifleman with no levelling whatsoever, but I don't know if TWI would let them do that.

Upvote 0
If they release a game based on a modern setting I hope is no more "modern" than the original Operation Flashpoint, the 80s cold war setting was nice.

I could go with something less known, like the Indo-Pakistani war.

The problem with modern conflicts is that you don't get the brutality and scale of WW2 and WW1. Also, no matter how much you do WW2, it never gets old, it was so huge that there will always be material.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The problem with modern conflicts is that you don't get the brutality and scale of WW2 and WW1. Also, no matter how much you do WW2, it never gets old, it was so huge that there will always be material.

The first part of this is because unless it's a proxy war between non-nuclear-capable combatants, there's a large chance a new conflict the size of WWI or II in the real world will involve nuclear weapons, either because one side wants to "win" that badly, or because one side doesn't want to surrender and wants to make the other side lose badly, or both.

The reason for your second sentence is because lots of media just hasn't gotten to covering all the fronts of WWII. Where are the games focussing on the Sino-Japanese battles, for instance? We haven't heard much about them, so sadly they don't get much exposure since audience familiarity is so limited. What a vicious cycle that is.

Upvote 0
In the interests of respect for the truth, how many Chinese gamers are actually paying for their game titles?

Enough to make it a $6 billion industry... you can't achieve that number by pirating, that's money in the bank. More than the US or Europe can muster.

Furthermore, isn't the Chinese gold-farming industry for MMOs through the roof? How many might actually be in a position to actually pay for a $60 game title through Steam, if this new RO2 Korean War title actually cost that much?

There are an estimated 500 million Chinese in their burgeoning middle class right now, set for tripling in the next seven years. Enough said.

Plus RO2 was never more than $30-40...

Upvote 0
Personally, I'm not interested in a modern game, it's been done too many times and it's never been done that well. There is just too many variables that have to be spot on for the game to be entertaining, realistic and original.

However, a Vietnam expansion in a similar format as Rising Storm would be interesting. I know there is a mod coming soon, but maybe TWI could team up with the mod team and release something more fleshed out.

Upvote 0
There is already a small Chinese Ro community [url]http://steamcn.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=255&page=1&[/URL]

Personally I would love to see an China vs Japan expansion. If there was one game to do it right given its track record (especially dealing with the sensitive political side of things) it would be RO.

The main kicker would be that it's something completely different and fresh to what players are used to (EG storming Normandy for the 100th time). But at the same time keeps the period of warfare that works so well with Ro gameplay.

Upvote 0
Personally I would love to see an China vs Japan expansion. If there was one

There's currently no FPS where you can play as chinese, but there are currentyly more chinese internet users than american ones, and they are still growing in numbers.If a new red orchestra (or a mod) will be the first FPS that implements the chinese faction, it would gain a lot in terms of people and market, and maybe become the china's preferred shooter:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
There's currently no FPS where you can play as chinese, but there are currentyly more chinese internet users than american ones, and they are still growing in numbers.If a new red orchestra (or a mod) will be the first FPS that implements the chinese faction, it would gain a lot in terms of people and market, and maybe become the china's preferred shooter:rolleyes:

I thought you could play as Chinese in BF2 and BF4.

Upvote 0
Enough to make it a $6 billion industry... you can't achieve that number by pirating, that's money in the bank. More than the US or Europe can muster.

Then I hope that Chinese gamers, paying or otherwise, realize that they have an enormous amount of power over what kind of games get developed and what gaming franchises get sustained. Check out this old-but-relevant rant about how a fledgling PC game developer was sunk by piracy:

[url]http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17702[/URL]

A relevant excerpt follows below:

The numbers on piracy are really astonishing. The research I've seen pegs the piracy rate at between 70-85% on PC in the US, 90%+ in Europe, off the charts in Asia. I didn't believe it at first. It seemed way too high. Then I saw that Bioshock was selling 5 to 1 on console vs. PC. And Call of Duty 4 was selling 10 to 1. These are hardcore games, shooters, classic PC audience stuff. Given the difference in install base, I can't believe that there's that big of a difference in who played these games, but I guess there can be in who actually payed for them.

Let's dig a little deeper there. So, if 90% of your audience is stealing your game, even if you got a little bit more, say 10% of that audience to change their ways and pony up, what's the difference in income? Just about double. That's right, double. That's easily the difference between commercial failure and success. That's definitely the difference between doing okay and founding a lasting franchise. Even if you cut that down to 1% - 1 out of every hundred people who are pirating the game - who would actually buy the game, that's still a 10% increase in revenue. Again, that's big enough to make the difference between breaking even and making a profit.

Titan Quest did okay. We didn't lose money on it. But if even a tiny fraction of the people who pirated the game had actually spent some god-damn money for their 40+ hours of entertainment, things could have been very different today. You can ***** all you want about how piracy is your god-given right, and none of it matters anyway because you can't change how people behave... whatever. Some really good people made a seriously good game, and they might still be in business if piracy weren't so rampant on the PC. That's a fact.
I would like to believe that TWI and their games count among the "some really good people made a seriously good game" crowd.

There are an estimated 500 million Chinese in their burgeoning middle class right now, set for tripling in the next seven years. Enough said.

I suppose that's where much of the money for pay-to-win games in China goes to. Check out this article on a game called ZT Online.

Plus RO2 was never more than $30-40...

I am driven to wonder just how much faster TWI could have programmed the "missing content" into RO2 if every customer who played the game paid $60 for it, with no Steam sales.

Insurgency is a fkn joke. It's packed with 10-year-old kids and cheaters. Ridiculous.

You have to admit that the more popular a game is, the more likely it's going to attract the wrong kind of player.

I hope they agitate to be included in a hypothetical Korean War game, as the People's Volunteer Army forces.

Personally I would love to see an China vs Japan expansion. If there was one game to do it right given its track record (especially dealing with the sensitive political side of things) it would be RO.

There was one major, but botched, opportunity for a game focussing on Intra-East-Asia conflict, actually. Creative Assembly (now owned by SEGA) made Shogun 2: Total War, a bestselling RTS and empire-building game set in 16th Century feudal Japan, plus two expansion packs, one set in 12th Century Japan and 19th Century Japan. Both sold well, and there a lot of interest (at the time) in whether or not Creative Assembly was going to cover the 16th Century Imjin War (in which Japan invaded Korea, with the intention of marching on the Chinese Imperial Palace eventually, starting in 1592). CA balked, sadly, probably because they feared such a game would have inflamed tensions between the modern-day countries too much. They missed a great opportunity in my opinion.

As for China vs. Japan in WWII, you still have the same national animousity between the two countries now. Besides, how would you deal with the differing tech levels between the two belligerent nations, not to mention how many Chinese warlords at the time used different arsenals for their own forces?

Upvote 0
Then I hope that Chinese gamers, paying or otherwise, realize that they have an enormous amount of power over what kind of games get developed and what gaming franchises get sustained. Check out this old-but-relevant rant about how a fledgling PC game developer was sunk by piracy:
among the "some really good people made a seriously good game" crowd.

Not sure what piracy has to do with anything. RO is tied to steam after all which makes playing online with a pirated copy a no go (and as an expansion it wouldn't have SP for pirating anyway...).

There have been a few games set for release with Chinese factions most notably Wargame red dragon which from what I've read has quite a Chinese/Taiwanese following already despite the game not even releasing yet.

As for China vs. Japan in WWII, you still have the same national animousity between the two countries now. Besides, how would you deal with the differing tech levels between the two belligerent nations, not to mention how many Chinese warlords at the time used different arsenals for their own forces?
There will be no problem for a multiplayer shooter like RO that follows no script/storyline. As for ballence it would make sense to either feature the German trained KMT divisions that were active in the initial stages in the war. Or failing that one of the US supplied divisions that by wars end were better equipped than the Japanese themselves.

As a matter of fact considering the lack of semi/automatic weapons for both KMT and Japanese it would probably work out easier to balance than Rising storm or Ro2 itself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not sure what piracy has to do with anything. RO is tied to steam after all which makes playing online with a pirated copy a no go (and as an expansion it wouldn't have SP for pirating anyway...).

Well, as they say, you can't expect to make money if people expect you to give it away for free. Steam isn't perfect; otherwise we wouldn't have "steam key generators" every so often being posted on youtube and the like. Even constant-online games like World of Warcraft have had private servers created for them. From the piracy rates I quoted from one of my previous links, the culture of piracy may be too deeply-set for non-microtransaction-based non-always-online games (especially for PC) make good money in China in the foreseeable future.

There will be no problem for a multiplayer shooter like RO that follows no script/storyline. As for ballence it would make sense to either feature the German trained KMT divisions that were active in the initial stages in the war. Or failing that one of the US supplied divisions that by wars end were better equipped than the Japanese themselves.

Well, the more uniquely-equipped factions that have to be made, the more weapons and uniforms that have to be made. TWI's workrate is already complained about enough on this forum. Including more things like the Shansi Type 17 handgun (which was largely used only by one Chinese warlord's forces) or the Chiang Kai Shek rifle means more piled onto TWI's workload.

As a matter of fact considering the lack of semi/automatic weapons for both KMT and Japanese it would probably work out easier to balance than Rising storm or Ro2 itself.

We have a lot of complaints already about the technological and tactical imbalances between the IJA and the USMC in Rising Storm. I wonder if any future Chinese forces in an RO game will have a "human wave attack" bonus like the Japanese and Russians do in RO2. The old Korean War joke "How many hordes are there in a Chinese platoon?" didn't come out of nothing, after all.

Upvote 0
A few notes about China that should be considered,

Steam isn't legal in China (most use proxies or something to use it).

China will most likely censor anything that paints China in a bad light.

The Chinese middle class earn far less than an American because Cost-of-Living is a lot lower, A talk on reddit about a Ukrainian Dota 2 pros salary that he earned a poverty line wage if he was in the US, but was earning more than most doctors do in Ukraine, when a $20 game is the same price as a week worth of food, the game looks less appealing.

Has anyone considered the Boer Wars?

Upvote 0
Although Historical realism shooters are always fun, why not something fictional?

I mean, combining some elements from all wars with some fresh, original ideas would be amazing. Imagine a fps/rts combination with tanks, minecraft style destruction, RO style gameplay, on a 128 player scale. Of course, it wouldn't be "Red" Orchestra then...

Upvote 0
Having lived in China, my two cents on the whole thing:
Steam seems to be perfectly legit in China - I could buy and download games no trouble.
The Chinese (the ones I chatted to, at any rate) would not like a game where you can play as a Japanese solider, killing Chinese. Way too political, irrespective of how Tripwire presented it.
I taught teenagers and young adults, the 'ideal' gamer markets. None of them played games on a PC, but only on phones or tablets. None of them had heard of Steam. Play-as-you play is HUGE over there.
Cost-of-living is insanely low. I don't know the dollar exchange rate, but for British readers, I could ride a taxi approximately 3 km for 80p. A 1-hour bus ride cost 10p. A large evening meal in a chain restaurant would set me back

Upvote 0