• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Can I have a trader area without a trader?

shrinkshooter

Jun 4, 2009
So for a map, the rules state that they must be in keeping with all the official maps of KF. I was thinking, does it NEED to include a trader model? Would it be alright to have a trader area without the actual trader? I realize it might be discontinuous because the trader would pop up on the left side of the screen and you'd hear her voice, and then she wouldn't be in the trader area; but could you still have a trader area with no trader model? I mean, the game still plays exactly the same, it's only that she's missing.

The level would play fine without it, but where are your players supposed to buy things, a gun vending machine?

This is my point. Don't worry about what I'm going to do to get around it, I want to know if I'm ALLOWED to do it, or if my map will be thrown out of the competition because there is no trader there.

Believe it or not that one trader model does not fit in with every possible "omg zeds are invading" scenario there is.

Upvote 0
I don't think they'd care if your trader were a vending machine, angry clown, or a hole in the wall that says "Please put munies in here omnomnomnom"

But I think it has to have the convention of "In between rounds, you purchase things here,". Note that the contest also requires multiple traders....that says to me they want them there in one form or another.

Comes down to consistency. If they put TWI on the map, players need to be able to expect a consistent experience with regards to the game mechanics.

So if you're not planning on having places where people buy/sell....I'd expect the map to not qualify for submission. Unless it's so awesomely executed that TWI has no choice but to accept it.

Upvote 0