• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Buying a computer to play killing floor 2

Are you looking to build a computer from scratch, or straight up buy a new one?

If you're building from scratch I'd recommend waiting until at least the end of June because Nvidia and AMD are both about to release new graphics cards with great price/performance.

AMD is releasing the r9 480 for $200 June 29th, which should be on par with the r9 390/390x ($300-400!)

Nvidia is releasing the gtx 1070 for ~$370 June 11th, which is slightly faster than the gtx 980ti (~$550-600!)

Upvote 0
Are you looking to build a computer from scratch, or straight up buy a new one?

If you're building from scratch I'd recommend waiting until at least the end of June because Nvidia and AMD are both about to release new graphics cards with great price/performance.

AMD is releasing the r9 480 for $200 June 29th, which should be on par with the r9 390/390x ($300-400!)

Nvidia is releasing the gtx 1070 for ~$370 June 11th, which is slightly faster than the gtx 980ti (~$550-600!
)

do you mind posting your source for this, ive heard similar but i cant seem to find the article.

Upvote 0
for what you are willing to pay you will get a very good mid-range gaming PC.
i would advise you to get someone to help you and build the PC from scratch,that way you can choose the best components for your money.the downside to this is you either need to know someone or know yourself how a new PC is build.

iam fairly certain that if you ask someone here you should be able to get very good advice since there is alot of tech savy people on this forum :)

on the GPU release...
i have watched a totalbisquit video last night where he talked about AMD releasing a new card for 200 bucks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77IGV2k_Vr8

Upvote 0
*raises hand*

I'm another guy looking to "upgrade" from my fossil soon.

Should I even waste time looking at something like this to play KF2 on relatively high settings (not necessarily ultra):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rpower_pc_gaming-_-83-230-093-_-Product#close

I don't really play anything else other than Quake Live - so not really sure it's worth me paying for anything cutting edge.

Any thoughts are appreciated

*sorry if this comes as of highjacking the thread but the feedback may help the OP as well :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We get it - you don't enjoy the beta. :D

Yeah you kinda got it right there. I even got a penalty from one of the mods for this message xDDD.

Getting back on topic: Do not measure your gaming PC on KF2 since it doesn't need a lot of performance to be played on low but a real good system to be played on max and even then it does not function properly yet (needs some optimization like many other games). With the recent update tough, the performance was increased to a really appreciated extent

But still measuring a system on a game is never a good start for building a PC. You can save a lot of money if you buy the parts separate and then build it by yourself. Depending on your budget aim on a mobo of a good brand but not to expensive (all the money goes into extra stuff like USB and so that you do not need), a decent processor (at least i5, if you want to invest an additional 100 bugs you can even buy an i7, that will not really boost your game performance much but hyperthreading and stuff will be provided).
Invest a lot in the graphics card, as said, aim at least for an 1070. or wait for newer adaptions of the current two new cards out and further testing.

greets

Upvote 0
Hmm.. for GPU's I'm looking at a few options.

I try to buy nothing that comes out immediately due to bugs/price.

These are the couple bookmarks I made that I thought may be good buys at their current prices and be able to do what OP requested for KF2; run high/ultra reasonably well:

• r9 380
  • gtx 970
  • gtx 960
  • gtx 950
Clearly a trend with the gtx group. :)

For someone building a KF2 specific machine - which I know may not be the greatest approach - the 950 seems like a great value.

Upvote 0
For reference:

My PC, valued at roughly ~$1300 if not including monitor, harddrives, PSU etc. runs all the official maps @ 60 FPS stable on 1080p Ultra with Gibs & Flex enabled. Occasionally, during especially taxing level design scenes with lots of zeds dying, the FPS can dip into the 40-50 range for a few seconds, but that's about the worst that ever happens. It quickly stabilizes back to 60 once the worst gore wears off.

If I disable flex, it becomes pretty much impossible to force FPS below 60 even if I wanted to.

Intel I7-6700K CPU (4.2 GHz)
Asus Z177 Chipset motherboard
16 GB DDR4 (3200 MHz) RAM
Asus GTX 970 GPU (not overclocked)

Upvote 0
If you're playing on a toaster on the bare minimum settings I just want to throw my opinion out there and say YES, it's worth updating to a modern system with at least a modest GPU.

Going from what the game looked like on my old PC to my new... it's a whole new game.

For less than a 500 dollar investment I get steady 60 fps on ultra (flex off):

GTX 950
AMD FX 4300 (4.0 GHz)
16 GB DDR3 (1600 MHz) RAM
MSI 760GM P23 FX

Nothing special but does more than most willl need - even for modern gaming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0