• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bullpup update

Neoco

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
I think the bullpup needs to be fixed. Its damage is too low. I've been playing online and I've been hearing players say that the bullpup is garbage. One player said that it takes 25 bullpup shots to kill one gorefast.

So here's my idea. We can increase the damage of the bullpup but to balance it, we must also increase the cost. I mean, seriously, we're talking about the commando here. The bullpup is too submachinegun like, it shouldn't be that way, it should be assault rifle like. Similarly, a commando shouldn't be using a submachinegun, he should be using an assault rifle.

What do you guys think?

ehh, he has bad aim if it takes him 25 shots... only requires 4-6 to get a critical headshot :/ . (without the commando/sharpshooter perk). Just aim better. But yes, it could be better :rolleyes:
maybe get an ak-47? would be great :D. Who doesnt love an ak-47?

No, no Killing Floor already has enough weapons. I'm just suggesting that they change the bullpup a little bit not create an entirely new weapon.

btw, AK-47 would not fit in with the rest of the weapons at the shop, it is not European, it is Russian and its name is too specific compared to all the other names (eg. lever action rifle, flamethrower, crossbow, etc.)

Upvote 0
ehh, he has bad aim if it takes him 25 shots... only requires 4-6 to get a critical headshot :/ . (without the commando/sharpshooter perk). Just aim better. But yes, it could be better :rolleyes:
maybe get an ak-47? would be great :D. Who doesnt love an ak-47?

AK is overused. I mean, yeah it's everywhere IRL, but it's also in every video game.

I'm pushing for the FAL to be the Commando Tier 2 weapon.

Upvote 0
One player said that it takes 25 bullpup shots to kill one gorefast.

That just means that the player is either a low level commando or is a horrible shot. I am 500K off of becoming a level 5 and even at level 4 I have no problem picking off trash mobs (Clot up to Scrake). Even the Scrake isn't too bad if you aim for his head on full auto. I don't think we need a new weapon yet. Our bullpup just had a little update and is doing even better now with the extra 100 shots.

Upvote 0
I think the bullpup needs to be fixed. Its damage is too low. I've been playing online and I've been hearing players say that the bullpup is garbage. One player said that it takes 25 bullpup shots to kill one gorefast.

So here's my idea. We can increase the damage of the bullpup but to balance it, we must also increase the cost. I mean, seriously, we're talking about the commando here. The bullpup is too submachinegun like, it shouldn't be that way, it should be assault rifle like. Similarly, a commando shouldn't be using a submachinegun, he should be using an assault rifle.

What do you guys think?
If you are full bursting in the chest, YOU ARE DOIN IT WRONG.

The Bullpup should be set 90% of the time on semi-auto and shooting gorefasts in the face, or three round bursting them in full auto alternatively as well. You should only go full auto if crap hits the fan and you need to chew a hallway open for the team to dart through.

Upvote 0
Lol you guys are funny. Can someone show me where in the Commando handbook it says "You must have an assault rifle."??? Also to the above poster, I think that if you play better with it on semi then that is fine, but personally that is too slow for me. 95% of the time my bullpup is set to full auto and it usually lasts me until the last 40-50 specimens on a game with 6 people on hard mode. After I run dry then I pull out my dual handcannons and pop everything with them, and finally if I somehow run out of ammo again I will finally pull out my dual 9mm's......which I rarely have to do. I wonder why other commando's are having trouble with the bullpup. 70% of the time I am the guy with the most kills, even if I miss the first couple waves. Personally though I like the other 30% better though, because it means I am on a team with at least one other person who knows how to kick some ***. :cool:

Upvote 0
If they are not adding another weapon, I'd be happy with slight penetration of the shots and ability to decap Fleshies a bit easier. Because now it is impossible to take out a FP before it enrages from "being kited too long" and beats you into pulp. Well, what can you expect with a bullpup? :mad:

I mean, for the majority of players here I guess, like someone said, playing Commando feels like playing the "Kid with the Helmet". Everyone lets him play with them but deep inside they all feel bad for him but everyone wished he would switch to Support.

Commando class has been crippled for long enough. I wonder how many commandoes think "Okay, it is a Fleshpound. Might as well suicide now." because you can't kite them and emptying a clip in their foreheads just enrages them. And now, with random enrages... Why bother trying to whittle it down? It will enrage and kill you anyway and you can't kill it fast enough unless you use the "single shot kill" exploit.

Upvote 0
If they are not adding another weapon, I'd be happy with slight penetration of the shots and ability to decap Fleshies a bit easier. Because now it is impossible to take out a FP before it enrages from "being kited too long" and beats you into pulp. Well, what can you expect with a bullpup? :mad:

I mean, for the majority of players here I guess, like someone said, playing Commando feels like playing the "Kid with the Helmet". Everyone lets him play with them but deep inside they all feel bad for him but everyone wished he would switch to Support.

Commando class has been crippled for long enough. I wonder how many commandoes think "Okay, it is a Fleshpound. Might as well suicide now." because you can't kite them and emptying a clip in their foreheads just enrages them. And now, with random enrages... Why bother trying to whittle it down? It will enrage and kill you anyway and you can't kill it fast enough unless you use the "single shot kill" exploit.

If you wanna go the 'Commando is useless vs Fleshpounds and Skrakes, route, lets add Firebug in here too. There is no way a Firebug can 1-on-1 a Fleshpound or Skrake with the Flamethrower without getting hurt. It just doesn't happen.

Both Commandos and Firebugs can absolutely eat through smaller specs. But against a Fleshpound or Skrake, the most they can really do is rage it, thus causing it to maul them badly before they can finish it. And on Hard, it can and WILL get you killed.

Also, IMO, I still feel that ammo is a significant problem with both of those classes. You're pidgeonholed into using a certain weapon...and that weapon, even with the 'clip size' boost, doesn't do enough raw damage to be able to last an entire wave on Hard without exhausting all of it's ammo!

Upvote 0
I do agree that the bullpup is not the best weapon to use on Fleshpounders and Scrakes (Although the Scrakes aren't too bad if you have an okay team). Maybe a very slight damage boost to the bullpup or a slight damage reduction for both the FP and Scrake would be nice. I don't think penetration would be fair, we would have a 50 bullet clip of something that already has no problem going through the trash mobs going through even more trash mobs. I do run out of ammo every time, but as I have said a couple posts ago I keep mine on full auto. I am 200K off of being a level 5 Commando and once I get my updated stats I will be doing even better.
Also I know we can't really kill the FPs or Scrakes on our own, but why is that really an issue?? Unless of course you are on solo then they have lower health and it is possible to kill them with the Nade and Shoot tactic (An instant classic). Maybe it is good that we can't kill the FPs and Scrakes without some help. Teamwork is supposed to be the main point of this game. I hate it when you are in the BioticLab map and all of the sudden everyone has welded themselves into a different room and your just standing there thinking "WTF is this?". Maybe if we all worked together more the Fleshpounders and Scrakes would be less of a threat? I played with an alright group of guys in the above mentioned map and we didn't make it all the way because of a stupid accident, but we took out a handful of Fleshpounders and about twice as many Scrakes with no problem at all (well there was one death....but the guy was being a tard).

Also if anyone has to be "the kid wearing the helmet" during gameplay it is the field medic. They can heal and run a little faster (only 10% or 15% faster now thanks to the latest patch), but they don't get any weapon boosts at all. Sure if you give one a LAW or crossbow they might do alright, but if you put a medic vs a commando or sharpshooter then I gurantee 99% of the time the guy not playing the medic will have more kills/$$ at the end of every wave. The one percent difference is if the non-medic is being played by someone who should actually be wearing a helmet. Lol :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Where do some people get the strange notion that the bullpup be a smg from ?!

The sub-par damage perhaps? :p

Nanostrike: I agree about firebug being next to useless against FP and Scrake. I think their usefulness would be increased if, for example an opponent on fire would do less damage because of lessened accuracy caused by being on fire and in pain, and commando could use slightly more powerful rifle and a small chance to either cripple the heavier specs temporarily or a small bonus to headshot damage.

I noticed that commando is more of a marksman than the marksman perk.
Mainly because he needs to headshot a lot... :p

Upvote 0
I do agree that the bullpup is not the best weapon to use on Fleshpounders and Scrakes (Although it the Scrakes aren't too bad if you have an okay team). Maybe a very slight damage boost to the bullpup or a slight damage reduction for both the FP and Scrake would be nice.

That would help a little.

I don't think penetration would be fair, we would have a 50 bullet clip of something that already has no problem going through the trash mobs going through even more trash mobs. I do run out of ammo every time, but as I have said a couple posts ago I keep mine on full auto. I am 200K off of being a level 5 Commando and once I get my updated stats I will be doing even better.

Well, the main reason I was hoping for penetration is that quite often, when I am aiming for a stalker or some specific target, my shots are blocked by a gorefast or a clot that is standing in between. I am aiming well past, and the shot is going about one foot past the shoulder of the bugger, and I am expecting the head of the Stalker diagonally behind it explode in shower of brains... But no, the critter in front of it flinches. This keeps happening all the time which makes me increasinly annoyed at trying to play commando.

Also I know we can't really kill the FPs or Scrakes on our own, but why is that really an issue?? Unless of course you are on solo then they have lower health and it is possible to kill them with the Nade and Shoot tactic (An instant classic). Maybe it is good that we can't kill the FPs and Scrakes without some help. Teamwork is supposed to be the main point of this game. I hate it when you are in the BioticLab map and all of the sudden everyone has welded themselves into a different room and your just standing there thinking "WTF is this?". Maybe if we all worked together more the Fleshpounders and Scrakes would be less of a threat? I played with an alright group of guys in the above mentioned map and we didn't make it all the way because of a stupid accident, but we took out a handful of Fleshpounders and about twice as many Scrakes with no problem at all (well there was one death....but the guy was being a tard).

I am glad you had a good team. :)
I was not implying that commando should be made an

Upvote 0
I think its fine and I noticed a big difference in dmg once I hit level 3 perk. Its fine and does the job its supposed to. Picking off crawlers / stalkers / sirens from distance before they hit the team. Use the bullpup as you are supposed to. Dont try and use it for close combat or waste time on FPs and Scrakes. Let the other dps deal with them. Your job is to concentrate on not letting the evil mobs crawlers / sirens / stalkers joining the party while the rest of the team is dealing with the big guy. Using the bullpup for anything other than that clearly demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge of the game mechanic - hence we get boring daily emo posts whinng the bullpup / commando is underpowered etc.

Upvote 0
Lol you guys are funny. Can someone show me where in the Commando handbook it says "You must have an assault rifle."???

Alright, think about the name. Commando. It stands out from the rest of the other soldiers, because it is an ELITE soldier. When you see a commando wield a submachinegun, it looks WRONG. A commando is an elite troop, he shouldn't be using a pussy little submachinegun, he should be using a more elite weapon to match his name (which is like I said before, the assault rifle)

Upvote 0
Alright, think about the name. Commando. It stands out from the rest of the other soldiers, because it is an ELITE soldier. When you see a commando wield a submachinegun, it looks WRONG. A commando is an elite troop, he shouldn't be using a pussy little submachinegun, he should be using a more elite weapon to match his name (which is like I said before, the assault rifle)

Good lord. You'll have the anti REALISM brigade flooding this thread in droves if they read that.

Upvote 0