• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bots, why? why are so many servers using bots?

Good point Srinidhalaya, but we have a ad on the server that says, *if you have questions/idea's for the server, post it on the forum* also there is a advertisement with the link for the website.Its not a great website but i made this quickly for PBBans.But people can post there questions or frustrations.
So far 1 person ask for the custom maps...

Grtz.

Upvote 0
At least it doesn't count the bots as players in the server browser like in some games. Now THAT is annoying.

Actually, it seems to be doing exactly that :) I looked at the 1st Airborne UK server tonight - 16/24 counted in the browser, but nothing showing in the player box. Connected, and sure enough - it's me and Fritz & Co., vs. The Ivans :) Check the server browser again - 17/24, and only little old me in the player list box :)

Upvote 0
Wouldn't be so bad except for the fact they are included in the player count.

had it several times that one team was nearly full of human players and the other team only half and the other half were bots. they got raped

just saw online in the browser, dozens of servers with 16-20 players, but almost non of them are with human players, most use them for easy ranking, the worst thing to happen to online games in the last 10 years

pisses me off

Upvote 0
What is funny, if you look at the results, they speak for themselves. The ONLY US server that is full, is the ONLY US server that doesn't run bots.

We have tried running the server without bots in the begining and it didn't work out. We didn't have a lot of clan members who bought the game so at first it was only 3-4 of us trying to jumpstart the server each day. As soon as we added some bots, it became easier. We're not RO veterans but we're trying our best to support the game and keep it alive. I think we created a good place for newer players to have fun.

The first 2-3 servers (based on GT stats) are almost always full (64 slot) and these servers already have their regular players. Other servers don't have this luxury, so there's basically no other way but to resort to bots until you get the server going. The current player numbers are really low for this game, so it's not a walk in the park to attract players who scatter around almost left for dead servers.

And believe me, if we had a choice, we would get rid of the bots right away. Personally I'm sick and tired of seeing Ivan and Fritz running on the spot near the wall or getting stuck somewhere and going back and forth like headless chickens. But there's just not enough players playing this game to have more potential full servers at this point.

Also, our server gets full every day around 3-5 PM GMT and it gets empty around 10-12 PM GMT simply because people want to get some sleep as they have to go to work or to school, or somewhere else. We can't expect people from USA to join the server during the night because the ping is too high (our server is located in London). So you see the problems that people are dealing with..

Upvote 0
We have tried running the server without bots in the begining and it didn't work out. We didn't have a lot of clan members who bought the game so at first it was only 3-4 of us trying to jumpstart the server each day. As soon as we added some bots, it became easier. We're not RO veterans but we're trying our best to support the game and keep it alive. I think we created a good place for newer players to have fun.

The first 2-3 servers (based on GT stats) are almost always full (64 slot) and these servers already have their regular players. Other servers don't have this luxury, so there's basically no other way but to resort to bots until you get the server going. The current player numbers are really low for this game, so it's not a walk in the park to attract players who scatter around almost left for dead servers.

And believe me, if we had a choice, we would get rid of the bots right away. Personally I'm sick and tired of seeing Ivan and Fritz running on the spot near the wall or getting stuck somewhere and going back and forth like headless chickens. But there's just not enough players playing this game to have more potential full servers at this point.

Also, our server gets full every day around 3-5 PM GMT and it gets empty around 10-12 PM GMT simply because people want to get some sleep as they have to go to work or to school, or somewhere else. We can't expect people from USA to join the server during the night because the ping is too high (our server is located in London). So you see the problems that people are dealing with..

Exactly. We face the same issues. We love the game, have a great lag free , well run and mature server. But have less regular RO2 players in our clan than our server capacity.
Bots are only there when players are not. This is a necessary evil for us.

Upvote 0
This game is dead

This game is dead

So this game is already dead. I feel sad, because I really enjoyed it.

I guess the lack of better updates and some adjustments to the gameplay overcame the joy of playing it.

Well, I hope tripwire make a better job next time, because they totally failed since the release of this game.

Now I'll be waiting for a good mod as my last hope.

Upvote 0
This is spinning out of control since the last 2-3 days. mass numbers of servers with 16-20 players and only 1 or 2 human players, who abuse this for easy ranking. I havent been able to play a decent game in days !!!

Hasn't the server browser changed? It didn't count bots in the "number of players currently playing this server" information before did it?

Upvote 0
Hasn't the server browser changed? It didn't count bots in the "number of players currently playing this server" information before did it?
I belive this is accurate and a part of the problem. You can still see the amount of real players in the player list in the lower right corner though.

IMO, having a few bots to make the game enjoyable until more people join is fine. That is to say, I'm ok with bots filling the server up to say 16 players. But seeing servers with 30 real players and 10 bots is just silly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't be the only one that HATES bots in an mp game. I can understand single player/praticing but it just annoy sthe hell out of me when I'm trying to find an mp match and constnatly join servers to find out it's bots bots bots, and a handful of real people.

This annoyed the HELL out of me back with CS, having to find a server without bots.

Now it seems this is all I can find in RO, trying to find a server since oming back to the game after a month or so and all i see is "bots bots bots" and can't find a single good full/heavy loaded server in the US that isn't using freaking bots.

What joy do people get out of playing mp with bots? There's just no fun (for me at least) in fighting against bots, it kind of defeats the point of playing the multiplayer, why not just play sp if you want to play vs bots?

Is this how it normally is in game now? every good server using bots and only a handful are real players?

Thank you! This annoys the **** out of me and is one of the reasons so few people play this game imo. As an NA player, an average night is loading up the game to find only one full NA 64 man server with no bots and then 5 or so servers with ~5 to 20 players and the rest bots. All other servers are usually 250+ pinged euros. There's no NA players playing in 50, 32 or 24 man servers with no bots and decent ping. So there's numerous times where I just say **** it and close the game again. This was the same case with Ostfront. Although that was slightly worse as the only reliably filled server with low ping was playing Danzing 24/7.

Everybody knows the game has enough problems as it is. We don't need poor server options as well. To the server owners, stop adding bots! And to the players, start joining other NA servers instead of waiting for that one 64 man to open up!

EDIT: And to all you arguing you use bots to seed the server, just join in with a few friends and the server will fill up. Every single person I play with would rather join a server with 4 live people in it and no bots instead of 20 bots and 4 players.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm fine with servers using bots to fill the gaps in a low-population game, but we really don't need the bots filling servers up to 32+ players like most servers are doing right now.

Once a server gets about 12 people the bots should be gone IMO.

Edit:

I also want to say to the server admins that while you may notice brief increases of player counts, these players are probably leaving shortly after once they realize your server actually has 50 bots in it, and not actual people. No one wants to join a server full of bots. All bots do is fake people into joining your server for a few minutes tops. Those that stay are likely there to just farm them, especially when they take the commander role and spam artillery all round.

Last edited:
Upvote 0