• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bots, why? why are so many servers using bots?

Stiler

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2005
TN
I can't be the only one that HATES bots in an mp game. I can understand single player/praticing but it just annoy sthe hell out of me when I'm trying to find an mp match and constnatly join servers to find out it's bots bots bots, and a handful of real people.

This annoyed the HELL out of me back with CS, having to find a server without bots.

Now it seems this is all I can find in RO, trying to find a server since oming back to the game after a month or so and all i see is "bots bots bots" and can't find a single good full/heavy loaded server in the US that isn't using freaking bots.

What joy do people get out of playing mp with bots? There's just no fun (for me at least) in fighting against bots, it kind of defeats the point of playing the multiplayer, why not just play sp if you want to play vs bots?

Is this how it normally is in game now? every good server using bots and only a handful are real players?

I've already stated this before, but here's a copy & paste for you...

In explanation of bots:

Our server runs with bots because this game is boring with too few players, but as real people join, the bots disappear, and as real people leave, the bots respawn to take their place. For server admins not a question of preference, it's a question of necessity. We tried running it without bots and nobody stayed long enough to draw a crowd, but with bots enabled a small handful of people stick around long enough to grow into a large group, and before too long it's a big enough population to sustain itself without a single bot.

from: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=72091

Upvote 0
We have the bots on our server (CLOWNS) because of low low player numbers on the West Coast in the evening. Will usually have a few on, up to the full contingent of 50. As more people join, the bots get taken off.
They are there so the players on (myself included) have something fun to do when waiting for people to join.
I don't care about experience or unlocks in the slightest and many of those who play regular with us have been around for years. I doubt many of them come to play the bots for experience. Some of the newer players do but who cares? The unlocks don't mean anything, don't change the accuracy of the weapons and sooner or later anyone who stays around to play a few weeks will have all the unlocks anyway, with humans or not. . I've been with the server for almost 6 years now in it's various names and with various owners. It's just a fun place to be, with or without bots.

Upvote 0
Well gosh, lets see. Umm well if I join a server that has no one playing and no bots.....what am I going to do in that time? Play with myself? :rolleyes:

Bots are there to keep you occupied until people start joining the servers. Why the **** would anyone join a server when you're the only charactor on ther map!? I mean, what's "multiplayer" about that?

Last edited:
Reactions: iTzDusty
Upvote 0
I'm an admin in the eGO server, and getting the server started up with no one to play with is no fun. That's why our bots are capped at 20, because it lets me kill something as I wait for someone to join. My patience has paid off too, because the server actually reached a full 64 player game. Also, it's one of the few servers I get a good ping on because I'm on the west coast.

Upvote 0
Well, i can't speak for all such servers, but I can talk about ours. On one of the servers we use about ten bots. Of course, the bots disappear as the server is populated. There are some benefits. An empty server is easier to jump-start with only a few people by using a few bots. They help to flesh out a pathetic one on one situation. The bot Ai is good enough that you must pay attention to them. Killing them will contribute to your character progression. Unlike some servers, we don't focus on the use of mobs of bots to enhance player progression. They are there primarily to fill a gap until player levels reach critical mass.

Upvote 0
I'm an admin in the eGO server, and getting the server started up with no one to play with is no fun. That's why our bots are capped at 20, because it lets me kill something as I wait for someone to join. My patience has paid off too, because the server actually reached a full 64 player game. Also, it's one of the few servers I get a good ping on because I'm on the west coast.
i'll be checking in on your server more often. i had a good time the other night!:D

Upvote 0