• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bots or Not for server population?

Bots or Not for server population?

• Bots suck, get rid of them!

Votes: 80 64.5%
  • They do the job - I love em

Votes: 19 15.3%
  • They don't bother me either way

Votes: 25 20.2%

• Total voters
So I am absolutely convinced that having dumb arsed bots on our server is the root of our recent struggles to try and populate the server.

It has 20 on which I think is 20 too many :eek:

When you join a server, do you immediately disconnect as soon as you join the game/round and realise it's mainly bots?

If the server is empty and there's no bots to kill time, I won't waste my time in that empty server to wait for 1 or 2 other players to randomly show up.

Sometimes I'll pick a bot server just for the hell of it, even if there are no players.... some usually join in after 5 minutes of playing or so..... but if your server is empty and there's nothing to keep anybody occupied until more show up.... don't expect many to stick around for long on your server.

When I think about a full 50-64 player server loaded with bots compared to a server with say 6 vs 6 bots..... Bots are in some ways a challenge and yet not much of a challenge at times.... when it's something like 6 vs 6 on a medium/large map..... you might as well leave the server empty because there's no challenge at all due to being free to use all the empty space to flank around bots, or have an MG setup in a good spot, mow down those 6 bots, and have an easy cap with no resistance...... which leads to maps changing up every couple of minutes.

At least with a full bot server you have a challenge, in that everywhere you turn, you have enemies shooting at you.... you're forced to keep your head down more often like you would in a real match with real players..... with 6 vs 6.... you can run around in the open and have plenty of time to pick off any bots shooting in your direction.

It's almost as pointless as having the server empty.

I'm not suggesting every server admin load their servers with a full set of bots for every available slot.... but 12 players overall for an RO2 map isn't all that stimulating. At the very least, having 8 vs 8 is closer to a squad vs squad gameplay, while still a bit on the barren side.

10 vs 10 (20 players total) is probably right where the balance should be for those who want some kind of entertainment until new players show up, yet not too many that those who don't like getting bamboozled & bombarded by aimbotting bolt bots with insta-buttstock bashing beatings..... won't leave the server as often.

man_pointing_up.jpg

See what I did there?

Last edited:
Reactions: r5cya
Upvote 0
Current amount of real players = less than 50 online. I just counted them manually in the browser and double-checked from steam's browser. Game's officially dead.

RO2 2011-2012, killed by it's own community and the mistakes of the developers.

RIP.
up to 400 right now. i guess you're wrong. it's not much, but it aint dead!

Upvote 0
At the moment, there is not ONE full server, mainly 3/5 guys and the rest is bots, Tripwire needs to do some media stuff, release a good trailer on Gametrailers and the youtubez...

Because if that update with the RO Classic mode does not appear within the next 4 weeks, this game will be dead. I see more crowded servers on the Darkest Hour mod.

Upvote 0
At the moment, there is not ONE full server, mainly 3/5 guys and the rest is bots, Tripwire needs to do some media stuff, release a good trailer on Gametrailers and the youtubez...

Because if that update with the RO Classic mode does not appear within the next 4 weeks, this game will be dead. I see more crowded servers on the Darkest Hour mod.

Gee, the game isn't crowded at night(US)/morning(EU) on a weekday?

How surprising... obviously this game is dead...

Upvote 0
Oh hey wow! I have just made 1,384 posts so far in these forums.

It's not as much as some others in here, so I guess I'm Officially Dead!!!

Yeah.... how annoying was that for your eyes to read?

Probably just as annoying as having every random slack jawed yok'el jump on some random number of players they see in the span of 30 seconds and proclaims the game is "OFFICIALLY DEAD!"

Good... it's dead..... now go p*ss off somewhere else.

That's right, you read it.... you can't un-read it.

May Picard & Riker have mercy on you. They'll just think of a strategy to blow you up and then you'll just blow up from the power of their minds

Last edited:
Upvote 0