• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bosses are too hard after the last update.

DeadPlayer123

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2016
I found out that boss fight is less fun then before now, because :

Patriarch : It seems the damage on the SMG was too much, it can kill an full armored/health medic in 2 seconds, and since pat just shoot with out any warning and can walk into you tracking you at the same time he shoots, its simple too much and its not fun to die that way.

Hams : The rage feature he does when he is "red" should have an cooldown, if you left alone with an red hams playing with any perk out of zerk and medic you just will die, better to just type suicide in the console. Even with zerk its too hard, since dosent matter how much parry you do to hams, he will just continue to rage into you until you are dead.

I dont know if I am missing something, but unless they nerf the SMG damage to the same of before or less and fix the hams rage fighting agains bosses will just become teams of half medic half bezerkers.

I would like to suggest the removal of doors destruction by bosses, it was an nice feature for medium/advanced players that dosent make the game easier, just make it more fun to play since you have more resources to use in the fight.

Last edited:
Than* Hans* Minigun*
And yes patriarch minigun dmg is way too much at long range... especially in VS where i was almost able to kill a guy with a minigun on outpost.... from both ends of the mid which quite a foken distance

And Hans's rage is sometimes just beyond ridiculous, where he would rage, slash you a few times and decide "why not continue this?" as he proceeds to slash you till you're dead without giving any chance of escape.

Reactions: DeadPlayer123
Upvote 0
Fancy Hands and his stupid Fancy Swipes are beyond ridiculous.

I was messing around on Hard a few days ago, I got trapped in a corner when I was backpedaling and firing at Fancy, he was in his third phase and he decided to start Fancy Swiping me while I was at full health and almost full armor with my Commando. He Fancy Swiped once, twice, three times, I heal up figuring that's typically all he does, then he decided to start the Fancy Swiping again until I died after two more times.

Those unending Fancy Swipes are the dumbest, cheapest mechanic he's got. They got rid of the forced health leeching, why can't they get rid of the forced 3x Fancy Swipes? It feels just as dumb as a scripted event because it's going to happen no matter what.

Upvote 0
This is all in relation to HoE. I don't know what it's like for other difficulties.

The only chance you have against Hans when you're the only one alive (excluding the tactic of running around a large object) is to keep him at a great distance and stumble him with weapons like the evis and railgun, or if you're a zerk and can parry reliably. Otherwise he will catch you, and once he gets in melee range he does the lunges that prevent you from ever getting distance between you again.

What I find worse than Hans' swipes are his new gunning down tactics. As a zerk I moved in to parry tank him, and he decided he didn't want to hit me and instead did 5 gun bursts, even with me stumbling and striking him. He just wouldn't give it up, and I was gunned down. Now I know you might think, well maybe you shouldn't run in there and get shot up, but I have never seen him not give it up before. It's not what he normally does, so I can't tell if it's some new rare occurence they've scripted in, or if it was a bug. Regardless, the guns do huge damage and are too accurate. Even at reasonable distances he destroys your armour within the early stages of the battle.

The boss fights are getting worse and worse, and TWI don't seem to realise that all of their attempts to 'balance' it are in fact just making it more annoying and unfair. The bosses can still be cheesed ridiculously easily, just find an ambulance to run around for the full 4 phases. Making the bosses faster, do longer melee combos, and buffing their gun damage really doesn't do much to combat the cheese tactic, and instead only serves to make most other enjoyable tactics a death wish.

You need to completely rework the bosses to cater for different perk combinations. At the moment the best perk choices are med+zerk spam for survivability and also support/demo spam for DPS. If you go with as much DPS as you can, using AA12s and RPGs, the fight will be over really quickly unless you're too reckless. You can kill Patty before he heals really easily, especially if you have one zerk that EMPs, and destroy Hans' shield every single time. Picking perks like firebug, gunslinger, swat and commando only serves to reduce the likelihood of a victory against the boss, because you lack damage and survivability.

BTW, in case you're not aware TWI, a lot of people do not enjoy the boss fights at all. My biggest recommendation is to make all of the attacks avoidable unless you make a mistake or aren't careful (Patty's rockets are actually a good example of this). Currently, the mistake is not cheesing the AI. Find another way to make it challenging, and make sure for harder difficulties that it requires skill and teamwork to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rattler
Upvote 0
Minigun is still somewhat acceptable, you can more or less guess when it will happen, and stay close to cover, if you are close to him you can circle him.

The hans melee rage is very annoying to get past, last time i tested it lasted in average around 10 seconds, and you can avoid plenty of the non homing hits and parry the rest even with a non zeker, which is not that great having to get a melee weapon just for defense, BUT even if you manage to survive it, he will do something else for like 3 seconds and go on another spree.

at the very least lunge attacks should not be homing and at least be partially dodgeable sideways with good reflexes, just as some combos are dodgeable backwards.

Upvote 0
random;n2279565 said:
Minigun is still somewhat acceptable, you can more or less guess when it will happen, and stay close to cover, if you are close to him you can circle him.

You are saying that most probally because you play as bezerker only, trying to stay close and circle patriarc is suicide with other classes. Also patriarc can turn itself invisible, and because of that in some cases its hard to guess when it will smg shoot into you.

Upvote 0
Zidious G;n2279496 said:
Playing only HoE these days, there is simply no chance to evade his constant rage. No time to heal up. He hits you again and again until you are dead. And he is a lot harder than Pat overall.

How else is he going to kill anyone?
Oh and a small tip: use katana to block his attacks, or use dbs to jump out of his melee.

Bosses should be difficult. It should be challenging, and its possible to kill them without exploiting the pathing (HoE).

Upvote 0
FoolishNinja;n2279576 said:
How else is he going to kill anyone?
Oh and a small tip: use katana to block his attacks, or use dbs to jump out of his melee.
Bosses should be difficult. It should be challenging, and its possible to kill them without exploiting the pathing (HoE).

Using male to parry dosent matter since it will just continue to rush into you indefinitely and you do take some damage if parrying correctly. I once parry him 8 times in a row just to die because of the parry damage. An cool down for the rage and fixing the parrying stumb would fix this problem. ( Currently parrying bosses dosent stumb they in all cases )

Upvote 0
DeadPlayer123;n2279575 said:
You are saying that most probally because you play as bezerker only, trying to stay close and circle patriarc is suicide with other classes. Also patriarc can turn itself invisible, and because of that in some cases its hard to guess when it will smg shoot into you.

i'm not so sure since i haven't had that many chances to test it, i play zeker the least, but i feel that only the classes that have speed boost should engage patty in the open, while others stay next to cover checking for visual/audible cues of ranged attacks.

on those cases when at say 4 meter or so of him in the open, ive had/seen more luck for speed classes to get closeer to him and circle instead of running away from him to cover, of course as soon as the cue starts and not once he starts firing.

Upvote 0
The bosses and game isn't very easy to balance IMO with the different types of maps, especially with the mini gun range thing. On big open (especially custom) maps, the guns of Patty and Hans were basically useless at long range.. I dunno if that changed since the last update as I haven't played for a while.

Upvote 0
Yea I'm getting really sick of Hans repeatedly melee attacking on his last phase. He's bleeding all over the place, shouldn't he be limping? Why do none of the bosses or enemies show that they get weak when they have low health? That's one of the worst things the game has and I think all bosses or enemies who go down a stage or are low on health should be much more prone to getting knocked down and stumbled easily and will resort to ranged attacks if they've been stopped multiple times.

Upvote 0
TheTCREngineer;n2279604 said:
Yea I'm getting really sick of Hans repeatedly melee attacking on his last phase. He's bleeding all over the place, shouldn't he be limping? Why do none of the bosses or enemies show that they get weak when they have low health? That's one of the worst things the game has and I think all bosses or enemies who go down a stage or are low on health should be much more prone to getting knocked down and stumbled easily and will resort to ranged attacks if they've been stopped multiple times.

it makes some sense for them to get more vicious, being more desperate and serious on the last phase, on the other hand they should have longer downtimes of exhaustion in between rushes, or/and less cooldown time in incaps, 10 seconds is a dmn long time in a fight when there are 1 or 2 players left.

Upvote 0
My 2 Cents:

I'm a Player with 12​​​​00 hours on KF2 PC. Playing Hell on Earth only.

I agree that the minigun from Patty is to strong, specially on long-range it should causing more Spray/Spread.

Hans​​​: depending on Difficulty. In My Opinion, he's pretty much fine. But i think Perks without additional movement speed should be able to escape little bit easyier (like Support).

For the People that dont understand how Phases for bosses work, it's supposed to be harder from green (Start) to Red. Bosses are supposed to get "mad" and Start using all they have. If someone die at the first Phase(green) he was doing something wrong. Learn to Deal with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
random;n2279650 said:
it makes some sense for them to get more vicious, being more desperate and serious on the last phase, on the other hand they should have longer downtimes of exhaustion in between rushes, or/and less cooldown time in incaps, 10 seconds is a dmn long time in a fight when there are 1 or 2 players left.

I don't think I've ever seen a robbery where a guy who got shot all over still tries to fight and isn't on the floor bleeding to death and I think that should apply to sci-fi monsters too. Angry? Yes. Getting stronger per phase? With new attacks only. Each phase should include a new attack(s) combined with previous attacks and the boss should have lower movement speed + increased knock down/stumble chance. Me and my mate have always thought bullet spongy bosses that don't differ in action are boring as hell. There needs to be improvements to make boss fights feel better.

Upvote 0
Not 'too hard' for some. But 'harder' for everyone.

Not sure what changes were made, (after reading the patch notes) maybe I missed something.

However unless you are clued up on how to tackle the bosses most ppl die early. And if that happens the rest of the team get picked off when forced to separate with the tides of trash that appear. The final fight is over too quickly unless every player understands that out-lasting the boss is the key. Healing over damage output is perhaps the only way it works for most pubs (esp.)

Im also of the opinion that 1 medic isnt enough most of the time. But thats another (temporary) story. At least at the moment.

With that said Ive had one person tell me that they killed hans before it made any heals. It was on a custom map. And yes it was HoE. So I believe thats some sort of glitch but I dont have the details. ANd Ive certainly never seen it in my games.

Upvote 0
2Clicks;n2279710 said:
With that said Ive had one person tell me that they killed hans before it made any heals. It was on a custom map. And yes it was HoE. So I believe thats some sort of glitch but I dont have the details. ANd Ive certainly never seen it in my games.

Killing hams before heals is actually very very easy playing solo and sometime in small teams, when you break his first shield he normally lay down in the floor, if you do enough damage ( rpg do that everytime if in solo ), he will lay down again with the second shield also with the third, so you just need to repeat until he is death. In teams its not possible because it has too much health.

Upvote 0
TheTCREngineer;n2279604 said:

That usually happens in video games. Bosses get tougher as time goes on. But youre right in that its quite ridiculous how hard it is. I personally think that his ranged phase should be his last one and not his first one and make it harder.

Upvote 0