• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Booby Trap Grenades:

Cpt-Praxius

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2005
Canadian in Australia
Ok... so I know you can make mines / booby traps with Japanese Grenades, but I don't exactly know how. My main attack, nor the alt attack (Underhand throw) or cooking keys seem to be the thing to do as I tried.

So what exactly is the process of setting up a booby trap?

Second question:

Can you plant them anywhere, or are you restricted to soft ground (ie: can't plant them into concrete / brick, etc.?)

Basically, what's the deal?

I'm sure new players to RO/RS would like to know as well. Any other tips and tricks relating to booby traps are also welcome.

Take out your grenade and crouch. Look the ground (which must be dirt, sand, grabel, etc. no building or concrete.) and right click. Your guy will plant the grenade in the dirt.

It must be your iron sight bound to plant grenades. And yes, they can only be planted into soft ground.

Ah thanks for that.... makes sense.

Are they marked for Team mates so they don't blow themselves up or do you have to inform your team when and where they are??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
No delayed timer from what I am aware of... it's a proximity/contact thing.

I've been using them a lot last night while playing and most of the time I'd place them right in front of an entranceway or in a narrow path... so I'm not entirely sure if it's a contact explosion or proximity.

I'd say a contact thing as if it was designed to go off when a player gets to a certain distance, it might go off without killing them due to being further away..... or it'd go off if an enemy was on the other side of a wall but still close enough to set it off.

Every time I heard or seen one of mine go off, I always got a kill.

Fun little things.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the thread. I'll been wandering around like I lost a contact trying to plant the dang things...... which usually ends with a bullet in the neck.

Last night I only got shot twice trying to plant one.... I usually plant them far enough ahead of the enemy or when I am surrounded by my team. It's actually not too bad for the mechanics of planting one.

There have been a few times where my character would start to plant it but then stop.

There have also been a few times where I was able to plant more than two at a time.... where I thought I was planting my last one and then there was another in my hand.... so what the hell, you can go over here for an extra bonus.

Fun times on Iwo Jima as a Japanese when the Americans try to capture the AA gun objectives (Or are they Arty?) as I usually have a booby trap at all the access ways to them and I keep hearing off in the distance *Poof Poof..... Poof.....

......... Poof*
and some additional kills added on my screen while I MG a bunch of others in a bunker....

.... yeah, I go back to ammo caches and get two more.... hence the additional two poofs.

RS is growing on me.... though I don't think it will ever replace RO2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't try planting them ahead of an objective you're trying to defend, you'll just get shot trying to do it. And any booby traps you place are highly likely to be set off by explosives/flames if they're the spot the enemy is actively attacking.

I find it best to be a little more devious. Plant them toward the rear of the objectives you're defending. You can easily do this with little risk of being shot. And if the cap zone then falls.. the enemy will wander into your booby traps. Usually once a cap zone falls the enemy sets up in it using particular spots for cover, especially for their marksmen/machine gunners. So target these spots.

Always keep booby traps in play, and always think of the places the enemy is likely to go. The paths they take, good spots of cover, target them. Remember your booby traps will sit around for ages providing you don't place them in a spot that's likely to get hit by arty/nades etc.

Don't place them in the middle of open ground, they're easy to spot, easy to blow up, and unlikely to be run over anyway. If you can't find a choke point then place it at the edges of open ground, since people naturally gravitate to these places. Use patches of grass to cover them if you can, and place them just around corners so people don't have time to spot them until they've run over them. Placing them around corners and in tight spots also minimises the chance of a stray nade setting them off.

Best moment for me so far.. four kills with one trap :D.

Upvote 0