• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

bolting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plaid13

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2006
Ok right now with bolt action rifles you just tap the fire button a second time to chamber the next round. or work the bolt whatever you want to call it. How about a way to be able to bind that to a seperate key. It would add a good chunk of realism into the game for bolt action rifles unless thes are some magic gun that works the bolt on its own with a trigger pull.

Having a seperate button to work the bolt could also be used to empty rounds out of a gun if you only have one or two shots left and want to totaly reload. better then shooting the gun and giving away your positon. Thats not really as important to me but it would be a nice touch. Just clicking fire twice to work the bolt seems a bit cheesy.

Have the reload key bolt is one option, but I think EH's argument (which btw I hadnt actually ever seen expressed anywhere) is a really good one. It is also worth noting that the current system does promote more teamwork because players might have to reload at unforunate times when it might be good to have a friend around.

Upvote 0
Yeah that idea is a good one.I think it has been brought up before afaik,search "manual bolting".
About emtpying the clip without having to fire part:
I might add that if there was an option to drop the half empty clips and belts, it would be very nice.It is so annoying and stupid to reload a "very light magazine" while still having 3 more fully loaded magazine in your belt.

Upvote 0
At the moment we could also have automatic bolting, because you simply press fire twice automatically.
I noticed that I do this in other games, too sometimes, because I got so used to it in Red Orchestra.

Bolting on a second key (Mouse 4 or something like that) would be awesome. You could forget bolting a lot easier or, when you are nervous, bolt without shooting.
Ejecting the last round of a clip is a nice extra feature.

Another Idea: (don't know if this could be done)
Mouse gesture:
You pull your mouse to the left, back, front, right while holding down a key. If you do it unprecisely, you will take longer or the bolt will get stuck somewhere (you pull back before the bolt can actually travel back). Like this, bolting could be a factor you would have to train for.

Upvote 0
Oh about the use search comment... im done using search in these forums that use search response just gets people to search and dig up long since dead threads. we dont need to dig up 6 month old threads. the whole idea of a forum is to have a conversation not post some comment on a thread that noone has read in months that has 10 pages of responses when most people wont read anything but the first page and maybe the last. by the time you get to the last thread the topic has changed to something totaly diffrent then the orignal post. As far as im concerned the search feature hurts the community. it should only be used in the help forums. If its not in the first few pages of posts then its a dead topic start it over get some fresh ideas. Fresh ideas new thoughts are not a bad thing. Im sorry if something that was posted a couple months earlier gets posted again but that extra 15 seconds of reading wont hurt you. This is a place to post ideas and suggetions and as far as i know none of them get put into the game anyway. So its just a place to think and discuss. Just relax a bit if the post is something you have read before just dont read it again.

And yeah using mouse button 4 or 5 or something would be perfect to work the bolt.same hand you shoot with but a diffrent motion.

Upvote 0
Well if you're going for all-manual bolting here, as in ejecting rounds from your gun without firing first, I would say:

Keep the left mouse button for both fire and bolt. However, give the reload key the ability as well, but it would be able to cycle out rounds to the point where your weapon is empty and you can reload another clip without having to fire off shots to alert enemies to your presence.

Upvote 0
search.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.