• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Blinded by nostalgia.

I went back to Darkest Hour for a few rounds and had more fun than in a regular night of RO2.

So, the OP doesn't apply to me, apparentely.

That's perfectly cool. It's not like you are whining 24/7 on this forum.

But there are those people who swears by how much RO1 is better than RO2, all day long. I think OP is directed at those people.

Upvote 0
A lot of old games got "FoV toggle" if for nothing else as a zoom for specific guns. And it's not some odd engine limitation since Darkest hour got it. The 1:1 zoom is a design decision and from what I've heard TWI had a internal argument whether to have it in the game or not.

Right, and the reason that only special weapons had it was because the draw distance was so limited that they couldn't allow everyone to shoot each other as soon as they were rendered. The levels were so small and claustrophobic that they never needed it.

100m runners reach their top speed at about 50m or 5 seconds and they are all about acceleration and doesn't carry anything heavy to lower the acceleration. The "they are in a war with adrenaline pumping through their bodies giving them superhuman strength" argument is just silly. Sure, there are a difference in motivation but it's not that different from just trying your best under normal circumstances.

I'm not talking an Olympic sprinter trying to win a race, I'm talking a guy sprinting to cover to save his life. I play a lot of paintball/airsoft, and I can go from prone to a fast run (maybe not the world record sprint, but fast enough to get to where I'm going before the other guys can draw a bead on me) very quickly. Maybe not top speed, but easily comparable to what the guys in RO2 can do.

The improvments in RO2 regarding realism is weapon recoil, 1:1 zoom and fluidity between actions. RO2 still plays a lot less realistic than RO1. I think a lot of the reason is that even though they added a lot of things you can do in real life they didn't add the exceptions and the abilities of your avatar is often "possible for a few under the right circumstances" rather than the norm.

No, the reason there is less realism in RO2 at the moment is because nobody really knows how to play it yet. Let some of the more casual folks filter out and everyone else get the hang of it and you'll see some awesome tactical combat. Some of the most intense firefights I've ever been in while playing a video game took place in RO2 while playing with my clan mates. When everyone is playing right, the game shines so brightly it'll turn you blind.

With a bit of training you could do it standing in RO1, but yes, I agree RO1 had a bit excessive sway when unsupported. The close to non existent one in RO2 is however going to the extreme of what any human is able to in the other direction.

I disagree. The problem is that your perception of distances is off. In RO1, it took a great degree of skill to make a shot at 100m, something that a trained shooter can do with relative ease in real life, especially if he's braced or prone. There's more than enough in-game to prevent unrealistic shots, the problem we're running into right now is that most combat takes place inside of 100m, so the rifle sway and the need to brace don't really show up. This is accurate to real life. I can blast melons at 100m with relative easy while firing fairly rapidly, and I'm far from an expert shooter.

Wait for some big, open, DH style maps to roll out from the community and you'll see. Rifle combat will balance out quite a bit.

I find the gameplay similar to COD 1-2 but with RO1 style gametype.

I seriously have to laugh every time someone says this. Seriously, go pick up a CoD game and give it a whirl, then come back and tell me that it had anything to do with RO2. I played CoD over the weekend with a friend of mine, and the similarities I noted were:

1) They have guns
2) They have a crouch button
3) They have a prone button
4) They have a sprint button

And that's it. Seriously. They have nothing in common.

Upvote 0