• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Best RTS Evar!

[Mad_Murdock]

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2006
My collection of RTSs is getting kind of stale and I was looking for something new to hold me over until Rome 2: TW is released. Nenjin "suggested" I start a new thread so I figured I would ask you guys. What RTSs do you enjoy and why? Doesn't matter how old they are, just what was some of your best RTS experience or which in your opinion is the best ever.

Me personally I've been replaying the TW games for the umpteenth time, along with CoH. Getting kind of tired though. I thought about firing up Rise of Nations again, my personal favorite. Not the most realistic or authentic RTS out there, but certainly one of the most complete and fun to play. Also the music is amazing. But I haven't gotten around to it. Instead I figured I would give something new and different a shot. So, any suggestions?

(Astoundingly realistic rivets are always a plus)

Last edited:
Rome Total War
Medieval 2 and
Empire Total War (but only with Darth mod)

Then I liked Sudden Strike (only the first one) very much because it gave big maps and tons of units to actually really use strategical elements, unlike COH, C&C and all that crap.

Oh and how was that game called again? Theatre of war: Kursk or sth? I thought that was decent despite the graphics being nowhere as near as the demand on the system it caused.

Upvote 0
Rome Total War is definitely one of my favourites. I also greatly enjoyed Knights and Merchants, because it is one of the few games where you are never done building. You're always short on something, or get an excess of other stuff that you can expand upon. I never reached a moment where basebuilding was finished and all I had to do was churn out fighting units.
That's the problem for most RTS's for me, I enjoy the build-up, fighting comes second (with the exception of Total War games) and when combat is all that's left to do I get bored and want to do something else.

So the Anno series is pretty high up there too.
Empire Earth was cool too, though it did suffer from the problem I mentioned earlier: at some point you're done building and it's time to churn out soldiers by the mass. But I got a lot of hours of gameplay out of it.

My problem with old RTS games now though is that I can't get into them anymore. Total Annihilation is one such exampe. I never played it back in the day, while my friends did play the hell out of it and loved it. So when i was traveling I bought it on GOG and installed it on my netbook, and it worked perfectly. But there is so much functionality from modern RTS's that I miss now that I can't get into the game anymore.
Same thing with Starcraft 1. Having to manually order SCV's to start mining even though I put a waypoint on the minerals was a gamebreaker for me.

Upvote 0
Rome Total War is definitely one of my favourites. I also greatly enjoyed Knights and Merchants, because it is one of the few games where you are never done building. You're always short on something, or get an excess of other stuff that you can expand upon. I never reached a moment where basebuilding was finished and all I had to do was churn out fighting units.

Have you played the Settlers series? Getting the economy going is pretty much the only thing you do in those games and are quite good games.

Newest one is on sale at GamersGate: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-S7DGE/settlers-7-deluxe-gold-edition

Upvote 0
Have you played the Settlers series? Getting the economy going is pretty much the only thing you do in those games and are quite good games.

Newest one is on sale at GamersGate: [url]http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-S7DGE/settlers-7-deluxe-gold-edition[/URL]

I have played some of them but never really got into them. Don't know why that is exactly. Might have to give it a better shot some day...

Oh, and I forgot to add a title that I got reminded of just now. Populous: The Beginning was an awesome game too.

Upvote 0
My, my, a lot of familiar titles on here. Thanks guys! I've never played TA, or Sudden Strike, but I'll give them a chance if possible. Many of the older games don't handle modern hardware too well.

Blitzkrieg was one of my all time favorites as well, I think I've spent more time with it than any other RTS. Came just at the right time in my life, I was getting tired of arcadey RTSs, ironically just coming off of my Rise of Nations high, and wanted something grittier. This was around, what, 2005 I think. Damn, I feel old :(

Homeworld as well. Good stuff. Last settlers game I played was Settlers II, and that was pretty awesome, I think I have a copy of 6 lying around somewhere if I can find it. Friend of mine gave me his when he got bored, not the most patient guy I know.

You know, I've had the hardest time getting into Wargame. I love the game, I love the mechanics, I love the ability to play as PACT, or more particularly, USSR, as a fleshed out faction, rather than a caricature, but I just can't do it. I turn it on and then go, ehhhhhhhhhh, no. I don't get it.

Lastly, don't tempt me Nox! I would love to get into something more complex and involved but these days I just don't have the time. Between 10 hr work days and planning a wedding its kind of on the back burner lol.

Also, anybody play city builders? I never got into the whole SimCity thing, but Caesar III was awesome.

Upvote 0